News

Livermore motorcyclist killed in I-580 crash

CHP: 21-year-old appeared to be ‘lane splitting’ when he was hit

A 21-year-old Livermore man died Sunday afternoon when his motorcycle lost control on Interstate 580 a mile west of the Grant Line Road interchange in far eastern Alameda County, the California Highway Patrol said.

The crash was reported at 1:05 p.m. Sunday. The motorcyclist, whose name was not released Sunday afternoon, appeared to have been "lane splitting," passing between vehicles, when he was hit, said CHP Officer Tyler Hahn.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

There wasn't any evidence that rainy conditions contributed to the crash, Hahn said. Initial witness reports indicate the motorcyclist may have been hit by another vehicle, possibly a white SUV, but that had not been confirmed as of late Sunday afternoon, Hahn said.

Investigators remained at the scene late Sunday afternoon.

What's local journalism worth to you?

Support PleasantonWeekly.com for as little as $5/month.

Learn more

— Bay City News Service

Follow PleasantonWeekly.com and the Pleasanton Weekly on Twitter @pleasantonnews, Facebook and on Instagram @pleasantonweekly for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Livermore motorcyclist killed in I-580 crash

CHP: 21-year-old appeared to be ‘lane splitting’ when he was hit

Uploaded: Sun, Jan 6, 2019, 5:44 pm

The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

Investigators remained at the scene late Sunday afternoon.

— Bay City News Service

Comments

saddened
Vintage Hills
on Jan 6, 2019 at 6:22 pm
saddened, Vintage Hills
on Jan 6, 2019 at 6:22 pm
59 people like this

That is someone's son you are calling an idiot. Maybe it wasn't his fault. If it was,it is still tragic for his family. I am sure you made some mistakes when you were young but made it to a ripe old age by the grace of God.

I doubt you would be so cavalier with your insults if you knew the young man and his family.

Sandray84
Dublin
on Jan 6, 2019 at 6:45 pm
Sandray84, Dublin
on Jan 6, 2019 at 6:45 pm
17 people like this

It’s sad we drove past right after it happend. He may not have been an idiot but mate a poor choose with the weather conditions. He was on a very small bike and the white suv was a four door Jeep Wrangler, Poor visibility all around. So sorry for the pain his family is going threw and how horrible the other driver must feel.

Jb1911
Pleasanton Valley
on Jan 6, 2019 at 9:19 pm
Jb1911, Pleasanton Valley
on Jan 6, 2019 at 9:19 pm
15 people like this

We thank all for your prayers (removed because it referred to a post that was deleted)

Pleasanton Parent
Pleasanton Meadows
on Jan 6, 2019 at 9:45 pm
Pleasanton Parent, Pleasanton Meadows
on Jan 6, 2019 at 9:45 pm
11 people like this

Extremely sad.

Karla SF Bay Mommy
another community
on Jan 6, 2019 at 11:28 pm
Karla SF Bay Mommy, another community
on Jan 6, 2019 at 11:28 pm
34 people like this

I passed by this scene when the ambulances and firefighters just arrived. His body was covered as he lied on the floor and his shoes were visible. My heart bled seeing this. I passed by with my four children in the car and could not imagine the pain his loved ones were going to feel when they would get the news. Life can be taken in an instant without warning. I saw the small bike and SUVs. I cannot imagine how the drivers that hit him might feel either. The weather conditions were terrible. I don’t know the details, but bless his poor soul. He is not an idiot. I am saddened by people’s coldness. I have brothers that drive motorcycles that have almost gotten hit by drivers in cars not turning their heads when switching lanes. I am not blaming the drivers in the scenario, but we all have to be careful for not only ourselves, but one another. I hope his family and the drivers find the peace they need.

A better opinion
Livermore
on Jan 7, 2019 at 12:56 am
A better opinion , Livermore
on Jan 7, 2019 at 12:56 am
16 people like this

He has a family that is still crying over his loss. Parents that wont get to hold their son again. As valid as your opinion may be, its a very stupid and insensitive decision that thats what you decided to go with here. I pray that your stupidity doesn't catch up to you.

Pleasantonian
Birdland
on Jan 7, 2019 at 2:14 am
Pleasantonian, Birdland
on Jan 7, 2019 at 2:14 am
2 people like this

This is sad and I offer my condolences to his family and friends.

If you know people who ride, please ask them to be especially careful out there in these wet and windy conditions. Encourage them to take it easy with the lane splitting; it's safest < 50 mph and at speeds < 15 mph faster than surrounding traffic.
Web Link

Jose Jimenez
Castlewood Heights
on Jan 7, 2019 at 10:03 am
Jose Jimenez, Castlewood Heights
on Jan 7, 2019 at 10:03 am
20 people like this

This is a tragic accident that should not have occurred . The root problem is that California is the only state that allows lane splitting ..... an incredibly dangerous and unsafe practice . In the stupidity of my youth I rode motorcycles ( but no more !) . The problem is is that automobile drivers have many blind spots and they simply do not see the motorcyclists.....an certainly motorcyclists trying to pass in an area where the motorcycle is not anticipated . Who came up with this law ? What was the rationale for allowing a practice which results in a great number of people killed or severely injured on our interstate system every year? If you’re going to come up with a law this stupid then allow the motorcyclist to pass on the left-hand shoulder where that shoulder exists....an I realize there are drainage structures in that shoulder but they could easily be bridged
My sincere sympathy to the family of this young man.

Yufu
Livermore
on Jan 7, 2019 at 10:20 am
Yufu, Livermore
on Jan 7, 2019 at 10:20 am
4 people like this

I ride but not on freeways. Toss kids was being a fine add even being on a bike in that weather and lane splitting on a freeway is even worse. He didn't deserve to die but if you play a stupid game, you win a stupid prize. And before everyone tries jumping on me like the above poster, I have had friends and family die on motorcycles. Didn't stop me from riding and won't stop me from having an opinion.

Change the law
Downtown
on Jan 7, 2019 at 10:32 am
Change the law, Downtown
on Jan 7, 2019 at 10:32 am
18 people like this

I don’t think anyone here is happy about this death, it is a tragedy for everyone. The fact is that lane splitting is purely stupid and those who do it at freeway speeds are nothing other than organ donors waiting for their own death. I believe the law was intended to allow motorcycles to keep moving, thereby cooling the engines, when traffic is virtually stopped. This law should not be on the books at all but at the very least it needs to limit lane splitting to speeds of less than 25 MPH.

As awful as this was, you cannot deny that this young person made a choice to do something that cost him his life. Without regard for whether he was struck by a vehicle that may not have seen him, he CHOSE to lane split and it was the wrong decision. No one else is at fault here. And none of us are saying this is a good result, only that he made any other outcome impossible.

Grumpy
Vineyard Avenue
on Jan 7, 2019 at 11:00 am
Grumpy, Vineyard Avenue
on Jan 7, 2019 at 11:00 am
5 people like this

This is a sad story.

As for the law, lane splitting has always been legal in California. The recent law just codifies it, and was passed in response to an uproar that was caused by the DMV trying to caution motorcyclists not to lane split at excessive speed.

Venkat
California Reflections
on Jan 7, 2019 at 11:51 am
Venkat, California Reflections
on Jan 7, 2019 at 11:51 am
3 people like this

Very sad.RIP.I drive to work almost every day in I-580 and used to wonder and worry about the lane splitting motorists. The car drivers in left most lane and the next one to it are to be doubly sensitive and careful in letting them go as long as it is a law.

WatchForBikes
another community
on Jan 7, 2019 at 3:54 pm
WatchForBikes, another community
on Jan 7, 2019 at 3:54 pm
Like this comment

Lane splitting is safe if done within the law! When traffic is going faster then 30 MPH and Bike goes 10 MPH faster then speed of traffic it is safe. What happens is these kids split lanes at very high rate of speed. I hate when I read these stories. RIP and prayers for the family.

WatchForBikes
another community
on Jan 7, 2019 at 3:55 pm
WatchForBikes, another community
on Jan 7, 2019 at 3:55 pm
Like this comment

Lane splitting is safe if done within the law! When traffic is going slower then 30 MPH and Bike goes 10 MPH faster then speed of traffic it is safe. What happens is these kids split lanes at very high rate of speed. I hate when I read these stories. RIP and prayers for the family.

Flowers
another community
on Jan 9, 2019 at 6:58 pm
Flowers , another community
on Jan 9, 2019 at 6:58 pm
5 people like this

I haven't been able to stop thinking about what I saw since Saturday. We passed by the scene prior to emergency personnel arriving and saw this poor soul laying on the ground in the rain with a white towel or shirt covering his face.I immediately thought about the horrible news his family was about to receive and felt so sad for him losing his life so quickly and publicly. Whether he was lane splitting or rain was a factor really shouldn't matter. He was a young kid who lost his life and a family lost him. My heart goes out to them all.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.