Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
(Stock image)
(Stock image)

A former leader in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints who was arrested earlier this month on child sex abuse charges returned to Alameda County Superior Court Friday to discuss bail conditions after posting the nearly $1 million required for his release.

Michael Morris, 76, is facing 18 counts of child sexual abuse driven by either violence or the threat of violence against four alleged victims when Morris was acting as an LDS bishop and youth group leader in Livermore.

Morris was arraigned Wednesday, with Alameda County District Attorney Ursula Jones Dickson announcing the arrest and charges Thursday.

Now a Utah resident, Morris was arrested on May 15 while he was back in California to visit his daughter in Chowchilla according to his attorney Austin Thompson at a subsequent hearing Friday, in which Morris appeared out of custody.

Deputy District Attorney Colleen Clark said that the prosecution was satisfied with the amount of Morris’ bail set at $920,000 but would be continuing to seek additional conditions of his release, including surrendering his passport, requiring in-person court appearances, and forbidding him to be in the presence of minors without parental supervision — including his grandchildren.

Thompson said he had disapproved of “unfounded” concerns about Morris’ flight risk during previous bail discussions, including his capacity to afford travel with “certain means, given his long career,” but agreed to have Morris surrender his passport and to prevent unsupervised contact with minors.

However, the two sides continued to disagree on whether Morris should be allowed to return to his home in Utah. Clark said that the prosecution was considering requiring him to live in California as the case makes its way through court, and objected to a suggestion from Thompson that Morris be allowed to return home with an ankle monitor.

The criminal complaint filed against Morris this week describes him as engaging in “violent conduct that indicates a serious danger to society,” with enhancements for violence or the threat of violence against the four anonymous “John Doe” victims, as well as for abusing a position of trust, targeting vulnerable victims, and planning and sophistication behind the alleged crimes.

Of the 18 charges filed, 11 are regarding the first “John Doe” to come forward in the case, alleging numerous instances of sexual abuse and assault between 1996 and 2000 when the victim was 14 to 17 years old. Those crimes happened at multiple locations according to the complaint, primarily at the LDS church at 1501 Hillcrest Ave. in Livermore, but also at Morris’s home, in his vehicle, and at the victims’ childhood homes.

The earliest allegations in the complaint are from John Doe 2, who was 14 at the time between 1991 and 1992. John Doe 3 alleges abuse between 1997 and 1998 and John Doe 4’s allegations are from between 1997 and 1999, when both were 14 and 15 years old.

Morris is set to return to court on June 10, at which point a formal plea is expected to be entered.

Most Popular

Jeanita Lyman is a second-generation Bay Area local who has been closely observing the changes to her home and surrounding area since childhood. Since coming aboard the Pleasanton Weekly staff in 2021,...

Leave a comment