Pleasanton moves to ban sales of all flavored tobacco, vaping products

Original post made on Feb 19, 2020

The City Council gave initial support Tuesday night to swift regulations that would ban the sales of flavored tobacco, e-cigarettes and related paraphernalia in Pleasanton, hoping to establish a strict ordinance to curb teen vaping.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, February 19, 2020, 3:00 PM

24 people like this
Posted by Kristie Wang
a resident of Livermore
on Feb 19, 2020 at 10:55 pm

Thank you, Pleasanton City Council, for protecting all of the youth of the Tri-Valley and for a long night giving every one of the 32 youths and 19 adults an opportunity to share their views. We appreciate your courage in making the tough decisions to fight the youth vaping epidemic.

13 people like this
Posted by Mike madler
a resident of Amador Estates
on Feb 19, 2020 at 11:30 pm

I am very disappointed with the mayor and the committee, how dare you prohibit the sale of electronics cigarettes and Vape but not cigarettes and not flavor liquor, you guys are hypocrites, it’s never about our health it’s never about our kids It’s all about money. I will not invest a penny in Pleasanton, not worth it

12 people like this
Posted by Sarah mike
a resident of Beratlis Place
on Feb 19, 2020 at 11:34 pm

[removed]

18 people like this
Posted by Ben J.
on Feb 20, 2020 at 9:52 am

The leftists who love to control and impede on your liberties are at it again. They can't control themselves and say it right out in the open. Testa flat out said we are not capable of thinking or acting responsibly for ourselves. "They can't do it alone."
They've already brainwashed the students that spoke at this. The only common sense spoken, was from the retailer, who stated that they'll just buy it online, sending those profits out of Pleasanton retailers pockets.
I do not smoke, but I sure as damn well will stick up for the rights of those that make their own choice to vape or smoke a flavored cigar. Especially over our local government that wants to dictate how you and I live our lives. They believe a one size fits all society is best for all of us.

12 people like this
Posted by Kiko
a resident of Val Vista
on Feb 20, 2020 at 10:35 am

No problem with marijuana though. The drug of choice for the crazy left. The only thing you are stopping with this is tax revenue.

10 people like this
Posted by dknute
on Feb 20, 2020 at 12:11 pm

In all the conversations, in all the comments, in all the 'back and forth', I didn't hear one obvious solution to 'vaping issue in the rest room issue'. Why wasn't a teacher, administrator, or school official, PTA, or security STATIONED in the Restroom to STOP the Students from using the room as private Drug sales and service parlor???..REALLY? I thought the Teachers were in Charge of the Students!...I thought the TAX Dollars we sent to schools were used to Teach and Protect Students while they attended the Schools that TAX Dollars built. Why should more money be directed their way if they weren't using it to teach and protect?

and Why would the City Council believe they could "just shut down businesses' that are lawfully doing business in their town, paying these taxes, paying salaries and administrative costs for both the City and the Schools? It makes little or NO sense at all.

I know MY own parents would have taken care of MY problem at home, if the Teacher or administration advised them of MY wrong doings at School!. But, that solution was never broached either.

The "Solution" was arrived at way too quickly. And the Solution is something that will NOT Solve the Problem.

Oh, and the guy who claimed he "would return to smoking real cigarettes", if the vaping products were unavailable needs to take responsibility for himself!...He's the only one that can Quit Smoking!. He is in charge of himself!.

8 people like this
Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Feb 20, 2020 at 1:06 pm

Interesting discussion. Teachers do not want to be disciplinarians from what I’ve seen. Especially on overcrowded high school campuses. Students show up in every kind of outfit, despite dress codes. Students actually vape in class when teachers’ backs are turned. I’m not sure where parents are in all of this. Easy enough for teens to change clothes and hide e-cigarettes. Everyone—teachers, administrators, parents—have plenty of other things to do and be concerned about. Just teaching 2,700 students (AVHS) is a huge undertaking.

I think an easier solution is to change the age to buy these devices. Local business doesn’t get shut out and neither does the city tax till. I think the rather rapid deaths of teens who vaped (as opposed to a years long smoker) is reason enough to change it to 21. And everyone knows the risks these days, don’t they? Yet, teens are invincible and adults are . . . Ignoring reality.

20 people like this
Posted by DKHSK
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Feb 20, 2020 at 3:32 pm

Let’s see if I have this right:

Tobacco use - ok
Marijuana use - ok
Vaping - Not ok

?

I don’t smoke anything. Never have, never will. Both my parents passed away from diseases caused by smoking tobacco. I hate smoking of any kind.

BUT, this is the dumbest regulation I’ve ever heard. I’ve know and/or heard of many people who’ve stopped smoking due to vaping. Has there been a number of people killed by vaping? Yes, however the vast majority were using self-made liquids, not the ones widely available.

Either ban ALL smoking or make them all legal, with restrictions.

And PLEASE pot-heads, please spare me the “medicinal” benefits of pot. I have no tolerance for that nonsense.

Dan

9 people like this
Posted by Phyllis & Peter
a resident of Charter Oaks
on Feb 21, 2020 at 8:38 am

In the name of all things stupid and hypocritical, I simply cannot believe the foolishness of our elected officials and the brainwashed lemmings in this town. While it is perfectly OK to smoke quite the most harmful, addicting and life altering drug, marijuana and cigarettes are still fine with you? Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the legal age to buy these products is 18? So if you perceive there to be a problem with underage use how about actually ENFORCING the laws or raise the age to 21? Both my husband and I were able to quit 20+ years of smoking by weaning ourselves off tobacco by using vaping products & after 9-10 months are fully nicotine free. By this ridiculous action you’ll only be forcing some people back to tobacco, loosing out on tax revenue and most importantly relinquishing more of your rights to small group of myopic, zealous helicopter mommies pent on enforcing their warped ideology on the the greater population.

7 people like this
Posted by Kim
a resident of Amador Estates
on Feb 21, 2020 at 9:35 am

[Removed due to disrespectful comments]