News

Man suspected of stealing high-end bicycle from Pleasanton store

Police release photos of alleged incident at Mike's Bikes

Pleasanton police on Friday released photos of a man who allegedly stole a bicycle worth $8,400 from a shop in town last month.

On June 19, the unidentified man entered Mike's Bikes on the 6700 block of Bernal Avenue and asked an employee if he could ride a 2018 Santa Cruz Nomad bicycle outside, police said in a Facebook post.

The employee agreed. Once outside, the man rode off on the bike and never returned, according to police.

The suspect is described as a Middle Eastern man about 6 feet tall and in his late 20's. The bicycle is blue with tan accents and the last four numbers of the serial number are 0282.

Anyone who can identify the suspect or find the missing bicycle is asked to contact the Pleasanton Police Department at 931-5100.

What's local journalism worth to you?

Support PleasantonWeekly.com for as little as $5/month.

Join

Follow PleasantonWeekly.com and the Pleasanton Weekly on Twitter @pleasantonnews, Facebook and on Instagram @pleasantonweekly for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Man suspected of stealing high-end bicycle from Pleasanton store

Police release photos of alleged incident at Mike's Bikes

by / Pleasanton Weekly

Uploaded: Fri, Jul 21, 2017, 3:38 pm
Updated: Sun, Jul 23, 2017, 5:24 pm

Comments

Steve
Pleasanton Valley
on Jul 21, 2017 at 4:23 pm
Steve, Pleasanton Valley
on Jul 21, 2017 at 4:23 pm

They just let him ride off?

I test-rode a $1200 bike there a couple of weeks ago. Had to fill out a form and leave my driver's license with them.

Michael Austin
Pleasanton Meadows
on Jul 21, 2017 at 6:32 pm
Michael Austin, Pleasanton Meadows
on Jul 21, 2017 at 6:32 pm

Over twenty-years I purchased several bikes, one a top end bike. I never test rode any of them. After my purchase I took the bike (s) out and tested them, over several days. I then returned to the bike shop where I purchased the bike (s). The bike shop then made necessary adjustments as I pointed them out.

Someone in Mike's bike shop was asleep on this transaction!

First World
Bonde Ranch
on Jul 21, 2017 at 11:58 pm
First World, Bonde Ranch
on Jul 21, 2017 at 11:58 pm

Sweet headline. Our town is so dangerous. How is this a story? It's an inside job or incompetence from management. Our city is so well off, this is a story. I'm patting myself on my back for living here. You should too.

First World
Bonde Ranch
on Jul 22, 2017 at 12:52 am
First World, Bonde Ranch
on Jul 22, 2017 at 12:52 am

I forgot to mention that a bike costing 8,000+ Also a First World problem. It's such a different era, have some discretion do your detective work behind the scenes.

I want to comment on the taco truck issue too. What winery am I boycotting?

FrequentWalkerMiles
Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 23, 2017 at 4:56 pm
FrequentWalkerMiles, Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 23, 2017 at 4:56 pm

"This guy, is not dressed to ride a bike, slacks, dress shirt, sun glasses on his forehead, no helmet or other gear.

Someone in Mike's bike shop was asleep on this transaction!"

Michael,

Given the proximity of Mike's to the office park, it's not unreasonable for the employees to assume the perp was an office worker nearby on his break/on the way to/from work. Office jockey weekend warriors constitute the most lucrative segment for cycling industry.

I do wonder though since the story doesn't say if the employee asked for a driver's license or ID to make a copy of it, the bike shop I worked in when I was a college student always asked for one from the prospective customer or in case of a minor, that of a parent/adult guardian. Perhaps the prospective of a large sale made the employee eager to please, and the worker did want to be accused of any bias if he asked too many questions.

Michael Austin
Pleasanton Meadows
on Jul 23, 2017 at 7:25 pm
Michael Austin, Pleasanton Meadows
on Jul 23, 2017 at 7:25 pm

FrequentWalkerMiles:

No doubt, the man in the pictures will return the bike Monday, say thank you for the test ride. I am no longer interested in this bike.

sfgirl
Parkside
on Jul 24, 2017 at 9:58 am
sfgirl, Parkside
on Jul 24, 2017 at 9:58 am

All about lack of security - bad judgement on behalf of employee. What about this freaking jerk without a conscience - the nerve. What makes me upset is living side by side with these sociopaths.

Parent
Pleasanton Valley
on Jul 24, 2017 at 10:01 am
Parent , Pleasanton Valley
on Jul 24, 2017 at 10:01 am

That's exactly the same bike my son had stolen on 2nd June from AVHS!!! Wonder if he did that too?!

FrequentWalkerMiles
Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 24, 2017 at 10:09 am
FrequentWalkerMiles, Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 24, 2017 at 10:09 am

Michael

Since the merchandise is insured, Mike's Bikes likely would rather to deal with an occasional theft than risk having outraged shoppers that claims all sorts of injustice if the employee demanded an ID or something of value before letting them try the bike. That's not even going into topic of fake IDs, or the liability issues of having employees chasing after a thief on a bike.

During my a few years of time as a part time bike shop employees, some segments of the population were very defensive about be asked for IDs or leaving items of value as collateral. Some conversations got heated and the the owner had to intervene to explain the policy personally. After a few times, he advised all of us to be more conscious of who we ask IDs from as to not risk a discrimination claim.

Parent
Pleasanton Valley
on Jul 24, 2017 at 10:15 am
Parent , Pleasanton Valley
on Jul 24, 2017 at 10:15 am

Actually...going by the writing & not the picture (even though it looks the same!) I correct myself in it's maybe similar bike to my son's that was stolen. Going by their pricing, it was no way that much.

JJ
Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 24, 2017 at 10:55 am
JJ, Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 24, 2017 at 10:55 am
g7caligirl
Gatewood
on Jul 24, 2017 at 11:02 am
g7caligirl, Gatewood
on Jul 24, 2017 at 11:02 am

Start checking all the after work mountain bikers up at the Ridge. Wonder if it will show up.

Sam
Oak Hill
on Jul 24, 2017 at 12:13 pm
Sam, Oak Hill
on Jul 24, 2017 at 12:13 pm

OK, maybe some people are touchy about being asked to leave an ID in order to borrow an $8,400 bike (although they shouldn't be), or maybe there is always the possibility that the ID they give is fake. Still, this bike store could at least have mounted store surveillance cameras in a way to better capture the images of the suspect in order to make the job of tracking them down a lot easier. Just look at these images that were provided: Low quality, low resolution pictures that were taken from some awkward overhead angle. If I passed this guy on the sidewalk I couldn't be sure it was really him just based on these bad pictures. Getting and installing high resolution store surveillance cameras is really not that much trouble and expense compared to the cost of getting an $8,400 bike stolen. Mike's Bikes really needs to step up and take more responsibility here. We all lose when a bad guy wins.

Justathought
Del Prado
on Jul 24, 2017 at 1:04 pm
Justathought, Del Prado
on Jul 24, 2017 at 1:04 pm

With bikes that costly it might be wise to place a small GPS device somewhere out of sight.
Grocery stores have devices that Lock Carts once past a certain point in the parking lot. I am sure this could be added to bikes as well.

carlos
Highland Oaks
on Jul 24, 2017 at 1:38 pm
carlos, Highland Oaks
on Jul 24, 2017 at 1:38 pm

Maybe he is still on his test ride. If you're going to spend that much for a bike, you better make sure you like it.

Pleasanton Parent
Pleasanton Meadows
on Jul 24, 2017 at 7:32 pm
Pleasanton Parent , Pleasanton Meadows
on Jul 24, 2017 at 7:32 pm

Parent I hope you're not letting your child commute to school on a $8k downhill mountain bike. Not only is it crazy from a cost/value position, it's also a terrible bike for street riding.

Nosy Neighbors
Pleasanton Heights
on Jul 27, 2017 at 5:25 pm
Nosy Neighbors, Pleasanton Heights
on Jul 27, 2017 at 5:25 pm

For sale on Craigslist, "Almost brand new Santa Cruz Nomad Mtn. Bike, only ridden once. $500 OBO." ;)