News

Pleasanton’s $300,000 Cubby's dog park now open

Park named for city’s first K9 ‘officer’

Pleasanton’s new $300,000 "Cubby's” dog park opened Saturday following a festive ceremony led by Mayor Jerry Thorne.

The park is located at Lagoon Road and Bernal Avenue, with limited parking on site but ample street parking available on Lagoon Road.

The city’s second off leash dog park occupies 1.5 acres at the staging area of the Marilyn Murphy Kane Walking Trail. It has a fenced dog play area, which includes a place for smaller dogs and a separate place for the larger dogs. There are drinking fountains, shade structures and even agility structures.

The new dog park, officially named Cubby’s Dog Park at Bernal, honors the Pleasanton Police Department’s K9 officer Cubby, whose human handler was Officer Jay Graves. The department’s K9 unit was established in 1974, and Cubby was the first to join, serving not only Pleasanton but the entire Tri-Valley.

Graves has retired but he and his family were at at Saturday’s ceremony, including his daughter Valerie, who now serves with the police department.

More than 300 entries were received in a naming contest for the dog park before Cubby made the final cut. Other suggested names were Happy Trails, Paws to Play, Pooch Paradise, Pup-Town Life, Bark Alley, Barking Lot, Bernal Buddies, Pooches Playland, Mutt Manor and Murphy's Tails.

The name Cubby was suggested by Aidan Husejnovic, 10, a student at Mohr Elementary School, who won loud applause from a crowd of about 75 when he was introduced by Thorne.

Cubby is recognized on a plaque and sign posted at entrance to the park, which is the second dog park to be built in Pleasanton to serve the city’s 26,800 licensed dogs. The first is in Muirwood Park, built years ago.

The new park with its play equipment, shaded seating area for pet owners and other amenities, measures up to some of the better-known canine parks in the country, including Houston's Millie dog park, named for Millie Bush, the English Springer Spaniel who shared the White House with George and Barbara Bush.

It’s still a bit shy of Richmond's Point Isabel Dog Park, a 23-acre off-leash park that even has a gourmet cafe, appropriately named Sit and Stay.

Comments

5 people like this
Posted by Konkon
on Nov 5, 2016 at 6:20 am

Woof, woof, Yay!

4 people like this
Posted by Outrageous spending
on Nov 5, 2016 at 3:18 pm

$300,000 for a fence and some mulch? !

Sounds like the $235,000 a year BART janitor.

So who do you suppose is getting kickbacks for overinflated bids. There is no way a couple of truck loads of mulch and a fence would cost $300,000. Unless the mulch has embedded platinum in it.

5 people like this
Posted by Pete
on Nov 5, 2016 at 8:13 pm

Another waste of cash. WSFfp

Like this comment
Posted by Sam
a resident of Oak Hill
on Nov 5, 2016 at 11:26 pm

I posted a comment on an earlier thread that I had a bad feeling about this new Pleasanton dog park as soon as I found out that it would have wood chips or wood mulch instead of grass. Did anyone take their dog to this new dog park yet? How was it? I imagine that there must have been a big turn out on the first day.

1 person likes this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Nov 6, 2016 at 12:29 am

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

Must be costcos fault.

$300k for a dog park, give me a break, hope we are charging admission

13 people like this
Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Nov 6, 2016 at 9:58 am

Kathleen Ruegsegger is a registered user.

Sam, went to the park this morning. It's very nicely done. Solid fencing. Several gates to enter/exit. Gate between large and small dog section too. Several people seating areas; some are covered. Small agility section--our fur ball jumped through the hoops a couple times. The bark is chipped pretty small. I didn't see any dogs having a hard time. I especially watched our dog because he is long haired even on his paws. All in all, I'll be there a lot I think.

Pleasanton Parent, I would gladly pay to play to subsidize the cost and upkeep.

6 people like this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Nov 6, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

Not where I would put the money.
To each their own....next time we need a ballot measure. I bet our elected officials made the deal and have stock in petco

13 people like this
Posted by JanetEB
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Nov 7, 2016 at 5:40 pm

JanetEB is a registered user.

I visited this park on Saturday with my dog - it is a beautiful dog park; well designed and laid out, with shaded areas and seating for neighbors to socialize while the dogs play. The watering stations are thoughtfully designed to eliminate water waste by being doggy activated (a nozzle that releases water only when licked by the dog). I learned that the wood chips are specially treated to prevent splintering. These are newer (and more expensive) style wood chips that are more foot friendly - for people and canines. The council researched surface material extensively before choosing this surface. Pleasanton parks provide wonderful places to get outside and be active, engage with neighbors, play sports and enjoy our community. With over 26,000 registered dogs in our city, this dog park provides a large percentage of our residents a new way to enjoy the out-of-doors in our town. The added benefit? Dogs that are well-exercised and can freely interact with other dogs, are more likely to be well-socialized with people and animals, and are less likely to engage in destructive behavior or nuisance barking - making them better neighborhood residents. All parks enrich our community - I appreciate the variety of parks that address residents' broad range of interests. Thank you council for a wonderful Pleasanton park addition!

7 people like this
Posted by Rocky
on Nov 8, 2016 at 6:52 am

Rocky is a registered user.

Let me first address Pleasanton Parent - sports park, after sports park, soccer field after soccer field .......really!!! We seem to have room for it all so calm down! Thank you city of Pleasanton for making this community enjoyable for all. The park is fabulous and everyone I meet out there is so grateful.

1 person likes this
Posted by Pton quilter
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Nov 9, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Pton quilter is a registered user.

Nice park, but designed obsolesce. Fences are attached to steel posts and set atop treated wood strips on top of the ground. I give it 10 years and the wood will rot through, making the fencing unusable due to holes chewed out or rotted out.

The benches and shade structures are nice and there are quite a few trees planted with deer cylinders to keep the dogs off the young trees.

All gates have standard door handicap-style handles with locks. Any big dog can hit the handle and their weight going down will open the gate door, but the doors are weighted so this may not be much of an issue as long as owners pay attention to their dogs.

Fences have daylight visible between the bottom of the metal fence and the wood on the ground. At the gate between the two parks, my two dogs have already found a hole to go from the small dog park to the large dog park.

Biggest challenge is the wood chips. They are thickly piled in there and are so small chopped, they fly like crazy when the dog marks or pees or poops. I had one dog take a dump, and by the time I got over there, it was buried so deep I could not locate it (even though I kept my eyes on the spot while walking to the spot and dug down around the area to try to find it). I did not see ONE PERSON picking up after their dog because everything kept getting buried. I will be curious to see how the bark holds up and if we get any smells building up. Right now, all you can smell is lovely wood.

The auto dog waterer in the big dog park at the back of the park is a joke. Everyone was bringing their dog bowls to fill with water from the tap, because dogs were accustomed to lapping up their water, not nuzzling a spigot. That spigot did not work, so bowls were down to catch the dripping. When you could get water out of the tap, the water did not shut off - just kept dripping. At least there is water! The park on Muirwood does not have water that I can find.

It would be good to hear from the city if there is any solid waste in the trash cans where folks disposed of their dogs offal. I would suggest someone volunteer a pooper scooper to leave at the park so we don't have a lot of plastic waste as folks pick up after their dogs.

Like this comment
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Nov 9, 2016 at 11:38 pm

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

Rocky,
Kids are not the same as dogs. Sorry, you'll never convince me of an equality here.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: Wanting, Yet Missing One Another
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 682 views

Superintendent's new contract may portend difficult employee negotiations

Scott Raty bows out as CEO of Pleasanton Chamber
By Jeb Bing | 0 comments | 317 views

Nominations due by Sept. 17

Pleasanton Weekly and DanvilleSanRamon.com are once again putting out a call for nominations and sponsorships for the annual Tri-Valley Heroes awards - our salute to the community members dedicated to bettering the Tri-Valley and the lives of its residents.

Nomination form