News

Did you feel it? 4.0 magnitude earthquake felt here at 2:41 a.m.

Epicenter near Fremont, but felt in Pleasanton; delays on BART

A magnitude 4.1 earthquake struck an area near Fremont this

morning, and was felt by many in Pleasanton.

A preliminary report by the U.S. Geological Survey stated that the earthquake struck around 2:41 a.m.

Social media lit up the screens immediately, with scores of comments by Pleasanton posters on Facebook.

The earthquake's epicenter was located just 1 mile north of

Fremont and 1 mile southeast of Union City, the USGS said.

Although there have been no reports of any injuries or damages in the affected areas, BART experienced major delays earlier this morning because of the earthquake.

Around 4:30 a.m., BART reported 30-minute delays, as trains

performed track inspections. Just before 5 a.m., all of the tracks had been inspected and trains returned to normal speed, BART officials said.

Daniel Montes, Bay City News

— Bay City News Service

Comments

2 people like this
Posted by tom
a resident of Livermore
on Jul 21, 2015 at 8:37 am

One quick SNAP and then it was over, like someone had hit your house with a big mallet.

Like this comment
Posted by citizen
on Jul 21, 2015 at 9:12 am

Sure woke me up in Birdland. Just as Tom described!

1 person likes this
Posted by Karla
a resident of Danbury Park
on Jul 21, 2015 at 9:23 am

Yup! That's exactly what it was like! They reported aftershocks, but nothing here at Valley and Santa Rita.

5 people like this
Posted by Julie
on Jul 21, 2015 at 10:11 am

Did anyone hear the roar first? The roar woke me (and the dog) up, and then once I was wide awake, I felt the jolt.

2 people like this
Posted by Julia
a resident of another community
on Jul 21, 2015 at 10:32 am

Yes I believe a lot of folks felt...I got up at 2:40am to get a glass of water and felt a very slight shake that lasted about 3 seconds..Nothing to get excited about her in Alamo.

Enjoy the nice day, Julia Pardini from Alamo

1 person likes this
Posted by Joe
a resident of Siena
on Jul 21, 2015 at 11:18 am

Julie: YES!!! I was wondering if I was the only one woken up by the roar. I DEFINITELY heard it coming. This particular quake really scared the heck out of me, and it is because of the roar. The quake itself was just a quick "BANG!!!" and then the roar faded away quickly. But it woke my pets and I up right away----I don't recall previous quakes being this noisy. Just very scary for me last night...took a while to calm down and go back to bed. I don't know if it effected anyone else that way, but that was a first for me.

7 people like this
Posted by member
a resident of another community
on Jul 21, 2015 at 11:28 am

HE'S coming soon -

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: Drop Your Keyboard!
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 4,574 views

A "scary" investment has become a solid bet

Julie Testa seeking election to Pleasanton City Council
By Jeb Bing | 0 comments | 408 views

Nominations due by Sept. 17

Pleasanton Weekly and DanvilleSanRamon.com are once again putting out a call for nominations and sponsorships for the annual Tri-Valley Heroes awards - our salute to the community members dedicated to bettering the Tri-Valley and the lives of its residents.

Nomination form