News

Nob Hill closing its Pleasanton supermarket

Leaves city with 6 major food markets, but more coming

Pleasanton's Nob Hill Foods supermarket at 3112 Santa Rita Rd. will close next month, leaving Trader Joe's as the city's only major food store in the northeast section of the city.

Pamela Ott, the city's economic development manager, said the Nob Hill store manager "indicated that the company had determined to close the Pleasanton store."

"He and other employees are being transferred to nearby company stores (Raley's, etc.)," she said. "We're already working with brokers to identify a new tenant."

When it closes, Nob Hill Foods will leave the city with six major food stores: Gene's Fine Foods, Lucky, Raley's, Safeway, Smart & Final and Trader Joe's.

Work is under way on what will now be the city's seventh supermarket, 99 Ranch Market, at the site of the former old Levitz furniture store in the Rose Pavilion. Part of an Asian American supermarket chain based in Buena Park, Calif., 99 Ranch has 28 stores, primarily in California, with other stores in Georgia, Nevada, and Washington. It is also considered a Taiwanese-American market because of the considerable amount of products imported from Taiwan.

What's local journalism worth to you?

Support PleasantonWeekly.com for as little as $5/month.

Learn more

Fresh & Easy, a British-owned grocery similar in size and marketing focus to Trader Joe's, plans to open its first store in the area later this year, also in the Rose Pavilion in the space once occupied by Express Fitness

In addition, Safeway, with its corporate headquarters in Pleasanton, has plans awaiting approval before the city Planning Commission to build a large Safeway Lifestyle store at Bernal and Valley avenues, across from the fairgrounds. Those plans are on hold, however, until 2011 at the earliest.

Raley's recently completed a major renovation and upgrading of its supermarket on Sunol Boulevard. However, the Sacramento-based company, which also owns 133 other stores under the Raley's, Bel Air Markets, Nob Hill Foods and Food Source banners in northern California and Nevada, said at the time that it had no plans to modernize its Nob Hill supermarket in Pleasanton.

Gene's, a privately-owned, family-operated store at 2803 Hopyard Rd., also recently completed a major upgrade of its Pleasanton store.

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox.

Follow PleasantonWeekly.com and the Pleasanton Weekly on Twitter @pleasantonnews, Facebook and on Instagram @pleasantonweekly for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Nob Hill closing its Pleasanton supermarket

Leaves city with 6 major food markets, but more coming

by / Pleasanton Weekly

Uploaded: Sun, Feb 7, 2010, 10:39 am
Updated: Tue, Feb 9, 2010, 6:55 am

Comments

Anonymous
Amador Estates
on Feb 7, 2010 at 12:26 pm
Anonymous, Amador Estates
on Feb 7, 2010 at 12:26 pm
Like this comment

I don't shop at Lucky's because the items are want are always more expensive there than at other stores. It's enough to make me want to shop elsewhere. That and some of the checkout clerks were kind of snooty when I went in there.

I'm not interested in shopping at "Fresh and Easy" because I'm not interested in shopping at a grocery store owned by a foreign company.

Kathleen
Vineyard Avenue
on Feb 7, 2010 at 1:39 pm
Kathleen, Vineyard Avenue
on Feb 7, 2010 at 1:39 pm
Like this comment

I shopped at a Fresh and Easy while visiting family out of state. It was great! It was like a smaller, friendlier, more neighborhood focused Whole Foods. As for it being foreign-owned, if they hire locally, I won't have any problem shopping there. New jobs are badly needed in Ptown as are the tax revenues.

frank
Pleasanton Heights
on Feb 7, 2010 at 5:32 pm
frank, Pleasanton Heights
on Feb 7, 2010 at 5:32 pm
Like this comment

I have been shopping at Gene's for years and I don't see any evidence of "a major upgrade". Can someone tell me what it is so I can look for it?

Ann
Del Prado
on Feb 7, 2010 at 7:55 pm
Ann, Del Prado
on Feb 7, 2010 at 7:55 pm
Like this comment

I too shop at Gene's and wonder where the major upgrade is?
Mostly I shop at Safeway, then Trader Joes's.
I would like to see a Whole Foods go in where Nob HIll was.
Not interested in shopping at the 99 store. It'll probably do well.

Paulette
Val Vista
on Feb 7, 2010 at 8:35 pm
Paulette, Val Vista
on Feb 7, 2010 at 8:35 pm
Like this comment

I'll miss the Nob Hill in that the people who worked there were always so nice and if I didn't feel like driving all the way to Raley's, I could stop at Nob Hill, after shopping at Trader Joe's. I would like to see a Lunardi's in there. They have a big Lunardi's in Danville. My parents shop at a smaller Lunardi's where they live across the Bay and they love it! Lunardi's has really topnotch produce, from what I understand and the prices are competitive.
Whole Foods would be okay; but, I vote for Lunardi's.

Ann
Del Prado
on Feb 7, 2010 at 9:46 pm
Ann, Del Prado
on Feb 7, 2010 at 9:46 pm
Like this comment

Not familar with Lunardi's but sounds good...

speedshopper
another community
on Feb 7, 2010 at 10:53 pm
speedshopper, another community
on Feb 7, 2010 at 10:53 pm
Like this comment

I liked the old Raleys before the major upgrades. Now I can't find anything. The store is too chopped up and does not have a good flow for the shopper. It takes too long to find what you need. The same product may be found in multiple locations. Now it is just like Nob Hill.

Anonymous
Amador Estates
on Feb 7, 2010 at 11:08 pm
Anonymous, Amador Estates
on Feb 7, 2010 at 11:08 pm
Like this comment

I hope they don't bring Whole Foods into the area. That store is way too expensive.

David Smith
Downtown
on Feb 8, 2010 at 1:44 am
David Smith, Downtown
on Feb 8, 2010 at 1:44 am
Like this comment

My question & more importantly, its responses in the Town Square Forum--Around Town on 12-23-09 are related to this.

Raley's, whose owns Nob Hill Foods, is a family owned company by the Raley-Teel family of Sacramento, and is closing the smaller, less profitable, expensive to renovate stores in favor of the bigger ones. Michale Teel, the current CEO of Raley's, said that sales have been falling for the last 2 years. Their market share has been falling right along with the sales decrease, according to industry trade publications.

Hours for the employees at the Raley's on Sunol Blvd. have been cut so that most get 24-30 hours per week; a lot of the the "full timer's" are down to 32 hours a week; and most of the bagers are at 16 hours per week.

The volume of inventory that the Raley's stores carry has also been cut so much (as a cost saving measure, I presume) that they are out of "sale or ad items" long before the sale is over on a regular basis, they are out of their regular "stock" merchandise, and when I have gone into the Raley's store on Sunol Blvd. many items have only 1 item of the product on the shelf. There are definite inventory management issues in this chain of stores.

In short, Raley's and the stores that it owns, looks to me like they are in serious financial trouble, and trying to cut costs every way they can. Since it is privately owned, financial information about the condition of the company does not have to be released, the way it does with Safeway.

The rumor I hear is that the Nob Hill shopping center landlord wanted to raise the rent for the store so much that Raley's walked away from the deal, and this store closing has been well known within Raley's for at least the last 6-9 months, but kept quiet.

The article's author says that P'town will have "6 major food markets left", but by my count from the article, there will be 8 by years end (99 Ranch Market & Fresh & Easy) and possibly 9 by the end of 2011 (new Safeway at Bernal & Valley). How many grocery stores does this town really need, anyway?

These numbers don't include the big Safeway Life Style Store just across the freeway in Dublin, at Tassajara & Dublin Blvd, or the other stores that also carry groceries, like Wal-Mart, CVS/Long's, Walgreens and Thrifty/Rite Aid. Ever look at those guy's sale ads that come in the "junk" mail, each week?

What's interesting to me is that I see a concentration of "grocery stores" in the NE section of the city- Trader Joe's, Safeway (Dublin), Ranch 99, Fresh & Easy, CVS/Long's---Wal-Mart is just down Rosewood and Safeway/Walgreen's is just down Santa Rita Rd.

I'm not sure that the loss of the Nob Hill is really a loss at all--it will be interesting to see what a greedy landlord gets in there instead and how long it will take.

Anon
Gatewood
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:12 am
Anon, Gatewood
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:12 am
Like this comment

Pleasanton is lacking an upmarket store. We need somewhere you can buy decent cheese, olives, and a greater range of organic and vegetarian foods. I know Whole Foods is not for everyone, but for me high quality food is what I chose as my luxury. At the moment I have to drive to San Ramon for it, an area the size of Pleasanton, Dublin, Livermore could easily support this kind of store.

Jeff
Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:24 am
Jeff, Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:24 am
Like this comment

We're sorry to hear the Nob Hill is closing. It's been our neighborhood market for many, many years. I hope we don't allow some 99-cent-type store in there...

Kelly
Ruby Hill
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:32 am
Kelly, Ruby Hill
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:32 am
Like this comment

I would love to see a Whole Foods in the Domus building in downtown!

mumof2
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:46 am
mumof2, Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:46 am
Like this comment

Love the Whole Foods in the Domus building idea! Parking might be a bit of a problem. I too trek to San Ramon each week. The quality of food is well worth the drive and cost. If you don't agree I suggest watching "Food Inc." I have been a Whole Foods customers for many years and this movie just reinforced my decision to buy quality over quantity.

Jean
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:58 am
Jean, Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:58 am
Like this comment

If you want a real eye-opener, check out the super markets in the Rocky Mountain area, for example, Colorado and Utah. They generally are much larger and more modern than Bay Area stores, so they carry a larger inventory, the aisles are wider, and generally have a much more inviting environment. This is not only in the larger cities, but towns with populations of 10,000 or greater. This is even true with Safeway which, of course, has stores there as well as here.

I have been shopping at Raley's since the store opened about 22 years ago, but has certainly gone down hill. The employee cuts has really impacted their service and the attitude of their employees has really taken a hit - degraded to the point of being similar to Safeway employees.

Safeway just cut their United Mileage Plus, which was one of the reasons I occaisionally shopped there - to keep from losing my United miles already in my account.

If our grocery stores are going to start playing cheapo, we need to revisit letting Walmart put in their grocery store. Helloooo, Left-Wing-Loony Mayor, did you hear that????

Rosie
Golden Eagle
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:58 am
Rosie, Golden Eagle
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:58 am
Like this comment

If you haven't checked out Ranch 99, you need to. Their produce and fish are unbelievably fresh and overall way cheaper than what you can get in the other grocery stores. They are so often packed, though--both in the store and parking lot--that having a store in Pleasanton, too, would be most welcome.

Sara
Bonde Ranch
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:58 am
Sara, Bonde Ranch
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:58 am
Like this comment

Oh please Anon, that will be the day I drive to San Ramon to buy olives and cheese!! The olives at Safeway are great and I am not spending gas money over an olive!!

Jean
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:03 am
Jean, Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:03 am
Like this comment

It would be nice if Trader Joe's moved into, and modernized, the Nob Hill store - similar to what the did when they moved into an abandoned grocery store (Andronico's?) in Walnut Creek. Their current location is a cramped and a parking nightmare (and no, I don't plan on riding my bicycle to Trader Joe's).

John
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:03 am
John, Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:03 am
Like this comment

The Domus site would be a great spot for a food market. But it is far too small for any major chain to consider. And any small store would likely have to charge high prices to support the small volume and high rents of the downtown location. This is unfortunate, but the result of an economy that supports high rents and tax breaks for land owners with empty properties...

Lee
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:05 am
Lee, Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:05 am
Like this comment

I will miss Nob Hill, I have shopped there since the day it opened.

I would love to see a grocery outlet go in. I hear it's a great store from several family members and friends. They shop at the one in Livermore. It's a smaller store so it would be a nice fit in the Nob Hill location.
Of course I can wish for the Trader Joes to move in there. I'm sure that would never happen but think of the big parking lot. I for one would love it.

Lee
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:13 am
Lee, Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:13 am
Like this comment

I'm sad to see the Nob Hill store close. It has been a staple of ours for 13 years now. I loved walking from home to pick up a few items--during good weather it was great! Now I have to check out other stores and see how the prices compare for staples. Yes, the Longs/CVS has some groceries too. Anyone else go there for eggs? They are cheap and good! The WalMart could expand and have groceries.

The Safeway on Tassajara/Dublin Blvd. is big but I don't like the customer service there. Cut my finger once and no one wanted to take responsibility for it. The employees actually walked away from me and would not get the manager! I will not shop there!!

Ranch Hand
Kottinger Ranch
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:30 am
Ranch Hand, Kottinger Ranch
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:30 am
Like this comment

Get a clue folks! Downtown Pleasanton can't attract a Whole Foods, Trader Joe's or whatever to the Domus building. They need to see much higher sales tax revenue before they move in to an area. Get off the computer and shop local if you want to attract businesses like that!

Nosy Neighbors
Pleasanton Heights
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:45 am
Nosy Neighbors, Pleasanton Heights
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:45 am
Like this comment

For anybody who has been there you know that it makes Whole Foods (i.e. paycheck) look like a 7-11. I personally make a trip out to Emeryville or Berkeley at least 2-3 times a month just to wander the aisles of Berkeley Bowl & admire their produce, fresh meat & fish, cheeses & seemingly endless aisles of unique & interesting packaged goods. The new store is even more logically laid out & the cafe` attached to it is never empty.

Chances of a Berkeley/Pleasanton Bowl... Zero. Something that the large chains should be spying on, taking notes & running case studies on, should be 100%.

Stacey
Registered user
Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:46 am
Stacey, Amberwood/Wood Meadows
Registered user
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:46 am
Like this comment

I like Ranch 99 and look forward to the Pleasanton store opening, but I'll disagree with Rosie that the produce is always fresh. I've seen the limp celery on sale. You have to know what you're buying. That goes for the fish too. But Americans tend to be too coddled to know what a good live fish looks like anymore. If you're not familiar with the produce, one can find the information online about how to pick out the best gai lan, etc.

letsgo
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:50 am
letsgo, Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:50 am
Like this comment

"If you want a real eye-opener, check out the super markets in the Rocky Mountain area, for example, Colorado and Utah."

I'm not so sure what is eye opening? I don't really need to have huge warehouse style grocery stores. I go to the warehouse store for that. What do I care how the stores in Colorado are designed?

Long time resident
Country Fair
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:56 am
Long time resident, Country Fair
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:56 am
Like this comment

Once again, our City Council members are clueless. I shop at Gene's Find Foods all the time, and not only has there not been a major renovation, it is in pretty sad shape and not at all representative of the high end store image they once projected. In fact, the entire shopping center that houses this grocery store is in such deplorable shape, it looks like it belongs in San Leandro or Hayward. Rotting beams, chipped paint, etc. It has, over time, become a major eyesore in Pleasanton, and it is in a fairly prominent location, seen by all who come into our town on Hopyard Rd. Ms. Ott, it would behoove you to check your sources before printing erroneous information - or better yet, go see for yourself.

mommy4xlove
Del Prado
on Feb 8, 2010 at 10:12 am
mommy4xlove, Del Prado
on Feb 8, 2010 at 10:12 am
Like this comment

I can't stand safeways crowds and rude employees, Luckys is always dirty and both have the worst fruit selection. Or at least fresh selection. Nob Hill was always clean, and the people always friendly. They should try and keep it open, it is the ONLY nice store in town of the chain stores. What a sad loss.

Simpleton
Bonde Ranch
on Feb 8, 2010 at 10:22 am
Simpleton, Bonde Ranch
on Feb 8, 2010 at 10:22 am
Like this comment

We moved to Pleasanton when the Raley's location was a big empty lot, so I've shopped there since it opened. When they 'renovated' it last year, it was turned into a dark, trendy, 'shopping experience' with dozens of square feet devoted to trendy, gourmet foods and meats (and I rarely even SEE anyone IN that section). To get that square footage, they took away hundreds of normal, everyday products; made the aisles so narrow that two carts can hardly pass each other; and then hired some 'know-it-all' to organize the store. Good grief...not only can you not FIND your regular products (because they've stopped carrying them), but if you can SEE in the dim light, you still need a map, because they are not in the intuitive place. It's a total nightmare. I wrote the company a 2 page letter detailing this shortly after the 'renovation' was completed; I received a phone call from one of the company execs saying basically, well, you are absolutely right on every point, but I hope we can win your business back someday. Haven't yet.

Mike
Danville
on Feb 8, 2010 at 11:14 am
Mike, Danville
on Feb 8, 2010 at 11:14 am
Like this comment

Oh Andy. You idiot. Read your own MSG. 99 ranch Dublin is a successful retailer So you want a dud for the nob hill space. Get a grip.

Juan
Foothill Knolls
on Feb 8, 2010 at 11:23 am
Juan, Foothill Knolls
on Feb 8, 2010 at 11:23 am
Like this comment

Not only is Fresh and Easy owned by foreigners, they treat their employees like Wal Mart.

D W
on Feb 8, 2010 at 11:42 am
D W, Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 8, 2010 at 11:42 am
Like this comment

99 Ranch will attract a huge Asian following. The parking availability will disappear in an instant.
The Trader Joe's off Santa Rita has been a crackerbox all millennium long and with the recession, expansion or relocation is unlikely.
Raley's before and after renovation looks like night & day.
Gene's still remains popular with its produce.
There was a big ado about Fresh & Easy coming into town. The economy has quieted it since.
Considering the economy plus two Dublin stores and its headquarters between Stoneridge Mall & I-580, Safeway has done an amazing job keeping its classic Santa Rita store from complete chaos.
Nob Hill's closing will disappoint the Raley's devoutees from the northeast and north-central parts of town, especially the busiest families. It has been in the works but has been kept quiet.
And finally, I admit I'm eager for Domus' space to be filled. Unfortunately, for the next year or two or more, the process will remain painstaking. Fingerpointing is a waste of time and energy. Can't mess with financial nature.

DanU
on Feb 8, 2010 at 11:46 am
DanU, Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 8, 2010 at 11:46 am
Like this comment

That's too bad about Nob Hill. It's within walking distance of my home. Sometimes I'll walk over just to get some of their brewed Peet's coffee or a loaf of bread. Now I'll have to drive over to Safeway or Walmart. Sure they are cheaper, but at Nob Hill I knew the employees by name, and they never failed to be friendly and helpful. Unfortunately that doesn't count towards the bottom line.

Qwerty
Amador Estates
on Feb 8, 2010 at 12:24 pm
Qwerty, Amador Estates
on Feb 8, 2010 at 12:24 pm
Like this comment

How long has the Domus space been vacant? What kind of business could afford the rent anyway? I had heard it was in the vicinity of 20k/month. The types of business we'd like to see there probably can't afford the space.

Neighbor of Nob Hill
Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 8, 2010 at 2:16 pm
Neighbor of Nob Hill, Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 8, 2010 at 2:16 pm
Like this comment

I am sorry to see my neighborhood grocery store leave. A very friendly store. It would be great if Trader Joe's would consider moving into that location and have a real parking lot!

Ideally
on Feb 8, 2010 at 2:26 pm
Ideally, Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 8, 2010 at 2:26 pm
Like this comment

What would be nice would be for Nob Hill not to be leaving. Since it is, though, it would be good to have TJs with a larger parking lot, plus a permanent fruit and vegetable stand offering locally-grown produce. While I love shopping at TJs for the prices on basics such as milk and eggs, plus the great finds on interesting frozen foods from around the world and dips, cheeses, salad dressings, etc., I don't feel great about the packaged produce.

Sherry
Mohr Park
on Feb 8, 2010 at 3:54 pm
Sherry, Mohr Park
on Feb 8, 2010 at 3:54 pm
Like this comment

I'm so sad to hear that the Nob Hill is closing! Super friendly employees. Sure, it's on the pricey side, but you can't beat great service.

Stacey
Registered user
Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Feb 8, 2010 at 4:31 pm
Stacey, Amberwood/Wood Meadows
Registered user
on Feb 8, 2010 at 4:31 pm
Like this comment

Pricey? That'll be Safeway.

Sherry
Mohr Park
on Feb 8, 2010 at 4:54 pm
Sherry, Mohr Park
on Feb 8, 2010 at 4:54 pm
Like this comment

Stacey - Think so? Raley's is even more expensive. I'm appalled every time I go in there. :/ I've always found Safeway to be reasonable. Of course, I also go in with a list and an envelope full of coupons to match sales, so that may be part of it.

JR
Danbury Park
on Feb 8, 2010 at 4:57 pm
JR, Danbury Park
on Feb 8, 2010 at 4:57 pm
Like this comment

I am going to miss the friendly people at Nob Hill. The employees are NOT being transferred to nearby stores unless you think Alameda is nearby. It is such a shame they are closing. It is so convenient to run in there and not have to fight the parking at Trade Joe's and Safeway. I encourage people that shop there to go say goodby and let them know you are thinking about them.

Anon-e-mouse
Del Prado
on Feb 8, 2010 at 6:24 pm
Anon-e-mouse, Del Prado
on Feb 8, 2010 at 6:24 pm
Like this comment

Wowser, if you think Safeway sells good cheese and olives - then you must have different taste buds to me.

I can't believe someone says "don't build a Whole Foods it's too expensive." Well that's inclusive - we should probably close the BMW dealership too, oh and Nordstrom. Everyone has different needs and wants, I like bargain shoes and clothes but I like to pay more for my food.

With 7 or 8 supermarkets in town, having one that caters to people who want to pay a little more for their products because they believe the quality / source is better or their selection of organic and vegetarian products is more extensive doesn't seem too much to ask.

Stacey
Registered user
Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Feb 8, 2010 at 6:58 pm
Stacey, Amberwood/Wood Meadows
Registered user
on Feb 8, 2010 at 6:58 pm
Like this comment

Sherry, fresh kiwis at half the price as Safeway?

Well the real issue is a nail hit on the head by Anon-e-mouse. General grocery stores of the size like Nob Hill have to usually specialize in something to remain competitive. But instead they ripped out the seafood counter at Nob Hill. I remember when the new, larger Safeway was completed and drew away business from Nob Hill. Hey, I remember when Nob Hill was the larger, more trendy store!

Homeowner
on Feb 8, 2010 at 7:34 pm
Homeowner, Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 8, 2010 at 7:34 pm
Like this comment

With the current budget crisis, why are we paying Pamela Ott such a large salary?

Resident
Lydiksen Elementary School
on Feb 8, 2010 at 7:40 pm
Resident, Lydiksen Elementary School
on Feb 8, 2010 at 7:40 pm
Like this comment

I agree with Jean, Neighbor of Nob Hill, and Ideally. Trader Joe's Pleasanton lacks adequate parking. I think they should move to the Nob Hill store space.

I dislike Lucky's which is the closest store to my home for many reasons, but end up shopping there for convenience only.

I hope all the Nob Hill employees will be hired by Raleys. Raley's is a very nice store, nice employees, fair prices, and carries graded meat (unlike some stores).

Long Time Res
Mohr Park
on Feb 8, 2010 at 7:55 pm
Long Time Res, Mohr Park
on Feb 8, 2010 at 7:55 pm
Like this comment

Whole Foods should replace Nob Hill. Trader Joes should move to the old Romleys location.

Luckys is dirty and overpriced.

Pleasanton Parent
Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:45 pm
Pleasanton Parent, Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:45 pm
Like this comment

Lee, why would you expect someone at Safeway to take responsibility for you cutting your finger?

resident
Downtown
on Feb 8, 2010 at 10:53 pm
resident, Downtown
on Feb 8, 2010 at 10:53 pm
Like this comment

for Homeowner -- good question! Why should Pamela Ott even have a job here? Economic development, hmmmmm, this town is SOOOOO much better off than last year that it must be from all of her hard work. Not! Doesn't have much to do with the Nob Hill vs other stores topic but hey, does anyone know what she actually does for $150,000 a year?

Julie
Foothill Place
on Feb 9, 2010 at 8:41 am
Julie, Foothill Place
on Feb 9, 2010 at 8:41 am
Like this comment

It would be great if Trader Joes could move over to the old Nob Hill sight. Then the parking would be better and the store not so crowded. I love the Trader Joes in Livermore for that reason.

Kathy, long time resident
Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 9, 2010 at 9:30 am
Kathy, long time resident, Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 9, 2010 at 9:30 am
Like this comment

I have always loved Nob Hill until Raley's purchased it and they discontinued carrying many items. I still preferred it to the bigger stores as it was well laid out and you could find items without spending a lot of time searching for them. The people were friendly and available to ask for help. I never found them "higher priced" unlike some stores that regularly required you to buy two or more of the same item to get the "sale" price. It was more than worth it to shop there and avoid the crowds and unorganized aisles of the larger stores. I will truly miss it and wish Raley's would reconsider closing it.

currentcrisis
another community
on Feb 9, 2010 at 8:52 pm
currentcrisis, another community
on Feb 9, 2010 at 8:52 pm
Like this comment

Way back when in 1983, there was a family run community grocery store where Domus was. The city shoved it out for a more upscale feeling to the downtown. Now it sits empty, going on a year now? Because it's all about what it looks like! This would be a perfect place for a small grocery store. What is old is new again.

Cheers
Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 9, 2010 at 10:36 pm
Cheers, Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 9, 2010 at 10:36 pm
Like this comment

I am literally heartbroken over Nob Hill's closure. While it was my favorite store in town, I will miss the staff terribly and am hoping they will all get to transfer to other stores as a couple so far have told me they are.

I am a coupon clippin' mom that uses Nob Hill's e-coupons and compares every sale and regular item across the board to the other major chains in town and Nob Hill/Raley's wins every time. I literally keep data on their sale cycles. I always get a better price there even on non sale items and you don't need a coupon like Lucky's requires. The only place that beats some of Nob Hill's/Raley's prices is Target - but that is only on cereal, etc. They just don't have everything there that you need. Nob Hill does.

Nob Hill, Bel Air, and Raley's are one giant company now, but were more like Lunardi's or Whole Foods back in the day standing for exceptional quality in their products - carrying specialy items and fine meats. They joined and enlarged to survive when others went out of business (anyone remember Alpha Beta?), which was a smart business model in the day.

So yes they do have some expensive "specialty" items compared to other stores, if that's what you shop for. But the basics are there and are such excellent quality.

I fell in love with the little quiet Nob Hill when we came to Ptown years ago because it was like Pleasanton's best kept secret - super clean store, totally easy parking for a mom with little kids - even spaces at the door that the ADA hadn't totally gobbled up - and a good mix of the community there (an elderly woman I've seen for years has watched my kids grow from babies and it's fun to see her there). But what was unique to the store far beyond any other local store is their staff.

They have all been there for years and I am going to miss them terribly.

Andy who would take my expired coupons when I missed a date, and tell me about his little girl and what fun they were up to.

Hector who would save up little Lego cars to give to my son when we came in and would tell the bagger to use the "good" balloons for my kids.

Charles who hunted down that one item he "knew" they carried no matter how obscure my request and shared stories of his son with us.

Suzanna who would always remind me that when I'm frustrated while shopping with my kids giggling and running all over, that they are "happy sounds" and to enjoy every minute with them.

Marie who would always give me a new recipe based on what I was buying!

The deli counter staff that can make a mean sandwich for a family picnic or day on the ridge - and who my kids bee-line for when we get to the store for a "sample" of meat or cheese.

The butcher guys in back that would offer to customize my order to get me a better price.

The produce guy who always has a "fresher box in back" if I had a minute to wait - and would bust through the doors hurrying to get me whatever I needed. He always got a laugh at my daughter's squeals of delight when the "thunder storm" came watering the produce.

The bagger staff that literally jumped at the opportunity to help me with my cart and kids out to the car and would stand patiently holding one of my kids hands so they wouldn't dart into the parking lot while I got the other kids in their car seats. There was never a stray cart in the parking lot.

Nob Hill has been a class act with an entire staff that is amazing. They have kept a little store humming and have weathered the ever evolving supermarket fads with a consistent message of quality at a great price - all without an annoying rearranging of their store every couple of years.

I challenge any of you that have gasped in this forum at the prices of Nob Hill to keep the ads that come in the mail on Mondays for four weeks and compare just 5 basic items you regularly purchase at Nob Hill/Raley's, Safeway, Lucky's, and Gene's. There is no way that you pay less on any item anywhere else unless they are unloading a single item like Safeway did just over the weekend and had a 10 pack of Mission tortilla's for 99 cents with a coupon. That's an exception. I'm talking about consistent prices that are flat out the lowest in town. I do it every week. The only market I pop over and get items at a really good price is Smart and Final, but they carry bulk sizes of items Nob Hill doesn’t carry. Other than that no one in town can touch Nob Hill’s prices especially when you factor in the quality. Just today I got a 16 oz of Knudsen's sour cream on sale for 2.59 but with the two coupons (theirs and a manufacturer's) they sent me via email I got it out the door for 1.49! Beat that!

I'm pretty sure most of the employees are getting a transfer to Raley's or Nob Hill in San Ramon, so I'll be driving a little further to shop at those to support this store. I'm going to transfer my prescriptions there too from Safeway. I really don't care what goes in there now, it will just make my stomach sick knowing they are all gone - such a shame. I just want to support a local economy and not a new fad or it won't ever end.

I refuse to go to 99 or any other new place that comes in until all the old stores are gone. I just won't do it. I'm supporting a trusted company with a history of amazing service.

Thank you, Nob Hill employees, for the great service over the years. I hope the company treats you right! And thanks for keeping P-town friendly on this side of town. It's been a good run. Cheers!

Tango
Vineyard Avenue
on Feb 10, 2010 at 1:16 am
Tango, Vineyard Avenue
on Feb 10, 2010 at 1:16 am
Like this comment

I know this is "beating a dead horse", but we could sure use a nice grocery store in Vintage Hills shopping center. The two closest to me are Safeway and Raleys. I have three friends that work at Raleys and have not heard to many complants from them. After the remodel I found it hard to locate items. It was the same when Safeway did its remodal. Setting up a store of any kind is all about how the owners can send you to as many places in the store as possible, in hope that along the way from one item to another you will see something you didn't know you needed and add it to your cart. Seting up a retail store is quite a science. Some get it better than others. Sorry about Nob Hill.

Lee
on Feb 10, 2010 at 8:44 am
Lee, Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 10, 2010 at 8:44 am
Like this comment

To Pleasanton Parent: You wondered why I thought Safeway should take responsibility for my cut finger? Because it happened due to a display of theirs that had sharp edges--plastic, very hard. I attempted to lift up a lid to get some nuts and the edge cut into my finger. It was deep enough to bleed profusely, and when I went to try to get help to stop the bleeding, the employees ignored me and would not get the manager. I wanted to stop the bleeding and put a bandage on it.

I ended up at the urgent care because it would not stop bleeding. They stitched it up and bandaged it. I felt that Safeway should have tried to help me stop the bleeding, not actively ignore me.

To Cheers
Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 10, 2010 at 9:43 am
To Cheers, Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 10, 2010 at 9:43 am

Cheers,
I so agree with you about the staff at Nob Hill. They are exceptionally courteous, friendly and helpful. Unlike other supermarkets, the Nob Hill Staff has remained consistent and I too have enjoyed chatting with them over the years.
There's a Livermore Nob Hill (just off Stanley and about a half mile west of Valley Care) where some of the Pleasanton Nob Hill employees will transfer.
But like you, I will miss my neighborhood grocery store and the incredible customer service Nob Hill has provided.
I wish all their employees the best.

Becky Dennis
Foxborough Estates
on Feb 11, 2010 at 9:57 am
Becky Dennis, Foxborough Estates
on Feb 11, 2010 at 9:57 am
Like this comment

How about using the site for a local growers co-op market?

I understand that smaller growers in Brentwood and the Central Valley are looking for a retail location. They sometimes have difficulty getting contracts with Safeway, Luckys, etc. because they can't supply enough produce for ALL the stores in the chain.

Maybe we could get local grass fed beef too. Ornamental plants are also a big portion of Alameda County's agricultural production.

Any entrepreneurs out there who could write a business plan to make it work?

The local USDA office and the Resource Conservation District (I am on the board) have often talked about the need and possibility. It would be interesting to have input from someone with produce marketing experience!

Analyst Dude
Rosewood
on Feb 11, 2010 at 2:21 pm
Analyst Dude, Rosewood
on Feb 11, 2010 at 2:21 pm
Like this comment

The Nob Hill store is a UFCW Union store; the Raley's in Ptown is a non-union store. Raley's has both Union & non-union stores, but I think all the Nob Hills are Union stores. The Union wages & benefits are the reason for the stable, long term staff which everyone here seems to admire & comment positively on, which also leads to a high quality knowledgeable employees, if nothing else due to their length of experience.
The (Union) Nob Hill employees have the option to transfer to either another Union Store or to a non-union store. At least one of the Nob Hill employees (a checker, I think) decided to transfer to the local Raley's and will transfer in as a bager. Not exactly a lateral transfer or a promotion, but at least it's still a job, in today's world.
While Raley's might disagree with this, there are substantial differences in Union vs. non-union store wages and fringe benefits--with the Union side costing the company more.
You get what you pay for in this world.

james
Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 12, 2010 at 12:34 am
james, Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 12, 2010 at 12:34 am
Like this comment

it was so convenient to go to nob hill when i needed something in a hurry. i time my visits to trader joes because the parking lot is a nightmare and the drivers are idiots. if you need to ask for help at a ranch99 you better be able to speak mandarin or cantonese. its just not a store where i would do my weekly shopping. and i have never even heard of a fresh and easy stoore. sounds more like a deoderant.

P-town Raised
Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 12, 2010 at 4:31 pm
P-town Raised, Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 12, 2010 at 4:31 pm
Like this comment

I no longer live in CA but I grew up in Pleasanton. Coming from the Pleasanton Meadows neighborhood I remember when Nob Hill was built, I believe I was in third grade. Sad to see Nob Hill go it was a great neighborhood grocery store.

Barbara
Stoneridge Park
on Feb 12, 2010 at 7:28 pm
Barbara, Stoneridge Park
on Feb 12, 2010 at 7:28 pm
Like this comment

Cheers-- Thanks for such a lovely post. My son and his friends used to go to Nob Hill for snacks quite often. They were always able to find good things to eat at a bargain price. It was always extremely clean and pleasant in the store, and the people were always nice at checkout. Good luck to all of the employees, and thanks for many years of wonderful service!

Earl D.
Castlewood Heights
on Feb 12, 2010 at 7:51 pm
Earl D., Castlewood Heights
on Feb 12, 2010 at 7:51 pm
Like this comment

Sorry to hear about Knob Hill. Great store and very helpful people. Question about Genes. They "just completed an upgrade". Not in my memory. It would be in their best interest to consider this. Awkward store to navigate....am I the only person that feels this way?

Christy
Stoneridge Park
on Feb 13, 2010 at 10:23 am
Christy, Stoneridge Park
on Feb 13, 2010 at 10:23 am
Like this comment

I have shopped at Nob Hill for 17 yrs since we moved here .Nob Hill is the coolest little store around, there was none like it around here, and thats why I love it, I can't stand going to safeway and don't, or Lucky's and we do need a regular small grocerie store for our neighborhood Traders doesn't do it for me especially when it comes to buying lunchmeat for the week, nob hill has the same quality it meats as Genes does and it was cheaper safeway lunch meat suck's as does Lucky's,Nob Hill could use better produce but I would just go to genes or traders for that, now I will have to go all the way cross town to Raley's which takes 20 mins to get there, and I agree they need a store where Flair market used to be that store was thee best! like our nob hill is today they should put a fresh and easy up there or any good store not a safeway or lucky though, and some are saying you already have seven stores around? where? walmart ? for quality deli stuff? no we don't,and we don't have one in our neighborhood when Nob Hill Leaves If Nob Hill must go then I would like to see anystore with quality meat and produce, Lunardis or Andronicos would be awsome why does everyone else have these stores? come to P-town.

Mumford
Rosewood
on Feb 13, 2010 at 10:33 am
Mumford, Rosewood
on Feb 13, 2010 at 10:33 am
Like this comment

"Americans tend to be too coddled to know what a good live fish looks like anymore."

As a coddled American, I am grateful we have Stacey here to be our thought leader. Stacey, have you considered starting a blog? There is much you can teach us.

Anonymous
Stoneridge Orchards
on Feb 14, 2010 at 12:33 pm
Anonymous, Stoneridge Orchards
on Feb 14, 2010 at 12:33 pm
Like this comment

Nob Hill is the only big food store within a mile of some neighborhoods. This made it real convenient for people living around it. It is also a lot cheaper than other stores. My family has been shopping there for a long time. Nob Hill should stay open.

Nob Hill fan
Stoneridge
on Feb 15, 2010 at 10:03 pm
Nob Hill fan, Stoneridge
on Feb 15, 2010 at 10:03 pm
Like this comment

I'm really disappointed that the store is closing. Our eastside neighborhood is going to miss experienced staff like Hector and Adolpho who have provided dedicated service to us over many years. I hope the staff at the store will be found places in the other Raley's locations.

journalist
another community
on Feb 16, 2010 at 8:01 am
journalist, another community
on Feb 16, 2010 at 8:01 am
Like this comment

Nob Hill is closing this Pleasanton store because it could not get a favorable new lease; the lease expires within a few months.
In the meantime, Pleasanton residents shouldn't be too dismayed, sources within the store have said that the company is already eying a new and larger store in Pleasanton.
As for the soon-to-be former Nob Hill employees, many are being transferred to Alameda while some will be relocated to Livermore. Few want to move to the Raley's store on Sunol Boulevard because it's a non-union store and the wages aren't comparable to Nob Hill.

ptown native
Highland Oaks
on Feb 21, 2010 at 1:18 pm
ptown native, Highland Oaks
on Feb 21, 2010 at 1:18 pm
Like this comment

It's sad to see Nob Hill go, sad to see any business close these days. The emploees of Nob Hill were an asset and the grocery served a purpose.
"
I live near the Lucky's store and only use it when I'm desperate. Between the filth, lack if variety, and their snooty clerks I'd rather go to Safeway, cut my finger and bleed to death!

Personally I go across town to Raleys. I've been a loyal customer for 17 years. Their staff are friendly and helpful. The prices better than Safeway most often and a great pharmacy as well. They remodeled to keep up with the upcoming Safeway "Lifestyles". I'd rather see the land left alone; why do we need to fill up open space when we don't need another store on that end of town!

As far as a Ranch 99, oh please spare me. You want to talk about a filthy store,and rude clerks! And you better have a huge parking lot with an on-site cop for traffic accidents because if it's anything like the Dublin one watch out!

Judy
Ponderosa
on Feb 22, 2010 at 10:36 pm
Judy, Ponderosa
on Feb 22, 2010 at 10:36 pm
Like this comment

I am not sure why everyone likes Nob Hill. I thought the prices were too high, the store was dated and old. A can of brand X green beans cost more there than anywhere else.

Plus the entrance and exit was difficult. In order to head south on Santa Rita, you had to cross 3+ lanes of traffic (rarely clear), sit at the long light, then make a u-turn. Too much trouble. No starbuck, no ATM, no Rebox. I guess I was not the only one that was not impressed.

Judy
Ponderosa
on Feb 22, 2010 at 10:38 pm
Judy, Ponderosa
on Feb 22, 2010 at 10:38 pm
Like this comment

oh yes, to the question about Pam Ott, did anyone else notice she is married to an influential member of the Pls. Chamber and a huge supporter of the Mayor. Could be a link?!

Name hidden
Ridgeview Commons

on Apr 24, 2017 at 4:09 pm
Name hidden, Ridgeview Commons

on Apr 24, 2017 at 4:09 pm

Due to repeated violations of our Terms of Use, comments from this poster are automatically removed. Why?

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.