Town Square

Post a New Topic

How to request public information

Original post made by Sara, Danbury Park, on Mar 21, 2009

Those of us taxpayers, need to fully investigate the school district activities for the spending of taxpayers dollars. You can request just about anything, if you follow the information below. If you really want to see Dr. Casey's contract and the other top administrators contract follow the procedures below. If you want to see how they spend district funds; request credit card statements, or reimbursement statements, you can even look at personal calendars.

The information below will give you the proper way to request public records from the school district.

Go to this web site for more information:
Web Link

To gather information on government activities, it can be helpful to make an official request for information using the California Public Records Act.

Below is a standard letter that can be adapted for your specific needs.



Public Records Officer [2]
City, County or Special District of Anytown
10 Hightax Street
Anytown, CA 9xxxx

Re: Public Records Act Request

Dear Public Records Officer:

This is a request pursuant to the California Public Records Act, Government Code Section 6250, et seq. Copies of the following documents are requested:

[List with as much specificity as possible the documents needed. They must be documents that already exist. You cannot ask the government to create documents that do not already exist, or to answer questions or perform calculations.]

Please let me know in advance if there is a charge for copying these documents. Pursuant to Govt. Code § 6256, your written response within ten days will be appreciated.[3]


I.M. Curious
13 Jarvis Drive
Anytown, CA 9xxxx

[1] Although not required, submitting the request via certified mail is recommended. First, it is bound to receive more immediate attention. Second, if a dispute arises as to whether or when the request was received, the return receipt provides the necessary proof.

[2] Most jurisdictions do not have a "public records officer" per se. It is a good idea to call the government entity first to determine to which individual the request should be submitted. Many times, it will simply be the city or county clerk.

[3] The government is not required to deliver copies of the documents to you within ten days; it is only required to let you know within ten days whether it has the requested documents and whether they may be exempt from disclosure.


There are no comments yet. Please share yours below.

Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.


Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: *

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields

Central Oregon population is soaring with former Californians
By Tim Hunt | 7 comments | 637 views

What Exactly Is FAFSA and Why Should You Complete It?
By Elizabeth LaScala | 0 comments | 255 views

Reasons to Love the A’s, Chapters Next
By Tom Cushing | 0 comments | 69 views