Town Square

Post a New Topic

Alameda County assessor may lower taxes on 100,000 properties

Original post made on Feb 11, 2009

The Alameda County Assessor's office is reminding property owners that it can reassess property at no charge to owners.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 6:26 AM

Comments (7)

Like this comment
Posted by Kris Moxley
a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 11, 2009 at 1:31 pm

As a local Real Estate agent I have been asked the question quite often concerning the homeowners property taxes and can they be lowered. Many have purchased within the past few years and have seen the values of their homes drop considerably. This will be good news for these homeowners and I will be pleased to pass this information on to my clients.

Like this comment
Posted by khmer srey
a resident of Stoneridge
on Feb 12, 2009 at 10:25 am

So how when the county states, "...made to determine if a temporary reduction can be provided, " that usually means that we as homeowners will be screwed in the long run. I tried to get reassessed last year and Alameda county stated that I had to take April 2007-June 2008. Well, duh, of course I wouldn't get a break because at that time all the houses were up in value. When I look at and see that they put a value of my house at the point of what I paid for it in 2003, but they also keep putting my house in another school district. When you try to contact Zillow and ask then how and where they got their incorrect information..they tell you that you are wrong!!
In conclusion--as with our I.O.U.'s that we will see from the state, put this one on the list of never gonna get a reduction in property taxes. =(

Like this comment
Posted by Eleanor
a resident of another community
on Feb 13, 2009 at 4:30 pm

we purchased our house in the summer of 2005.
Obviously for more than the current resale value.

we were able to lower our tax bills in the last two years by applying temporary reduction with Alameda County Tax Assessor office.

Even though the assessed value for this tax year is still much higher than the most recent appraisal that was done for the purpose of refinance. We are still grateful for it.

Like this comment
Posted by homeowner
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Apr 16, 2009 at 6:00 pm

We filed to get a reduction for 2008-2009 property taxes and we got a property value reduction of 20k which we are happy we did, but zillow was listing our home at a 100k property value drop for that period. Also, the exact model home had sold during the allowed timeframe for 100k less but the county didn't reappraised the value at 100k drop.

Like this comment
Posted by Bruce A
a resident of Dublin
on Sep 4, 2009 at 9:29 am

My property assessment was automatically lowered from $460K down to $447K. However, no similar property was sold in the past 2 years for anything close to $447K, so what I have to do, as well as many others who are onto the government assessment scam, is appeal. Lots of government employees making work for themselves by not properly assessing properties. Anything to tax people to the max and make them fight beaurocracy to make them do it right. They figure most will be sheep and just take their medicine. I am going to have to pay someone to go to a hearing, most likely. I'll be shopping for a very experienced realtor or possibly a real estate attorney to do battle with Alameda County. Government double-talk defeats most people, so be sure to hire an expert to get your assessment done correctly! But move quickly, if you miss the deadline you have no option.

Like this comment
Posted by Mohamed Lakhani
a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 4, 2009 at 1:07 pm

I recently moved from Milpitas where assessed value of property for the tax year begining on July 1st 2009 was much lower than the property I purchased in Pleasanton. I am over 60 years old. I hear about an exemption for 55 plus year folks who can request their old property tax basis transferred to their new home purchase.

Can you please tell me where I can get more information on this and how do I go about applying for it? Thank you for your help. My email is

Like this comment
Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Nov 4, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Stacey is a registered user.


You should contact the Alameda County Tax Assessor's Office. Their website is

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Salami, Salami … Baloney
By Tom Cushing | 25 comments | 606 views

Time for new collaboration between city and school district
By Tim Hunt | 2 comments | 483 views

Holiday Fund raises $70,000 for 12 Tri-Valley nonprofits
By Jeb Bing | 0 comments | 90 views