Town Square

Post a New Topic

State calls Anthem Blue Cross rate increases 'excessive and unreasonable'

Original post made on Apr 3, 2013

California's Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones said yesterday that his department has found the latest rate increase by Anthem Blue Cross Life and Health Insurance Company are excessive and unreasonable.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, April 3, 2013, 7:16 AM

Comments (8)

Like this comment
Posted by William Tell
a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Apr 3, 2013 at 8:44 am

One of the many problems with Obamacare - not only does it add costs to insurance, but forces us to buy a policy from one of these many crooks.

Like this comment
Posted by Gary Alt
a resident of Del Prado
on Apr 3, 2013 at 9:39 am

Gary Alt is a registered user.

As a business owner I have seen firsthand health care premiums rising 15% to +20% every year for a few years now. I have chosen to go with larger and larger deductibles each year to stem the cost. These rate increases have come from all providers, not just Anthem Blue Cross, and they've been increasing before Obama took office. If the insurance companies would design better health care plans we could have a win-win.

Like this comment
Posted by Member
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Apr 3, 2013 at 10:14 am

My rates just went up 19% for the next year, and last year they went up 13% from the previous year. And this is for a very minimal catastrophic coverage plan with a super high annual deductible. So a combined 32% increase in 2 years.

This is an even faster rate of increase than before Obamacare. Of course, we were lied to by politicians who said that premiums would get smaller. I knew we were being lied to, because you can't cover 30,000,000 more people at less expense or even at the same expense.

A lot of people only listened long enough to hear things such as "free health care" and "providing health care to 30,000,000 people who don't have health care" and "it's going to cost less." The average citizen is not very analytical regarding what politicians say. Most voters hear a few buzz words, and then they believe things even though they sound "too good to be true" without thinking further.

Obamacare does not bend the health care expense curve downward. It bends it upward, as real life is showing us now.

Like this comment
Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Apr 3, 2013 at 10:22 am

KAISER provides excellent medical services! I VOTE FOR KAISER!


Like this comment
Posted by puddin head
a resident of Valencia
on Apr 3, 2013 at 12:09 pm

He's just now finding out they're excessive. Where's he been?
Maybe if we didn't have to pay $12 for a 10 cent syringe or $10 for an Advil tablet when in the hospital, that would help. Its just bilk everyone we can in the process so we can additionally pay for the complete healthcare of the illegal aliens that walk in to the emergency room for routine care. Then we also need to make sure the insurance companies have plenty of nice buildings to work in and their execs can make their yacht payments.

Like this comment
Posted by Ben Dover
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Apr 3, 2013 at 3:01 pm

You better get use to it.

Like this comment
Posted by What Did You Expect?
a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Apr 3, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Bend over, folks. Queen Pelosi said "you need to pass it to find out what's in it", referring to Obamacare. Well, they passed it, and now you are beginning to find out what's in it. Much higher premiums and more taxes, and more taxes, and more taxes. Oh, and as many as 60% of doctors over 50 are indicating they will retire early rather than deal with disfunction, gougings, and unethical practices (yes, there are death panels - not so good for granny). So, you are also going to be waiting a long time to see a doctor. And, its a whole lot less likely you well be able to see your own doctor (Yes, Obama lied about that TOO). People actually thought all those uninsured were going to magically get insurance at no cost? Bend over, folks.

Like this comment
Posted by Kaiser is Superior
a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Apr 3, 2013 at 8:44 pm

In cost, quality, hospital safety, service, innovation, cancer screening, MEDICARE Stars measures, etc.... Look it up. Blue Cross is killing off its own business and just trying to wring as much out of their few remaining customers as possible.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Salami, Salami … Baloney
By Tom Cushing | 24 comments | 759 views

Time for new collaboration between city and school district
By Tim Hunt | 2 comments | 531 views

Holiday Fund raises $70,000 for 12 Tri-Valley nonprofits
By Jeb Bing | 0 comments | 126 views