Complaints of small flies in Pleasanton push city leaders to find source of problem

Original post made on Aug 29, 2022

Swarms of small flies that are invading downtown Pleasanton in higher numbers than usually expected have prompted city leaders to work with the county in finding out if there are any additional contributing factors to the increase.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, August 29, 2022, 5:20 PM

Posted by Peter
a resident of Golden Eagle
on Aug 29, 2022 at 10:11 pm

Peter is a registered user.

"but in the end, it comes down to finding the breeding source and getting rid of that."

Given that the reports seem to be the most pervasive from "downtown", perhaps the search should begin there

Posted by Claudette McDermott
a resident of Del Prado
on Aug 30, 2022 at 12:07 pm

Claudette McDermott is a registered user.

I've noticed it too, even at home... Annoying ~

Posted by MELANIE HENRY
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Aug 30, 2022 at 2:25 pm

MELANIE HENRY is a registered user.

I was told by a senior resident who has lived her for over 50 years that the flies have been brought in by the couple of hundred horses being stabled at the Fairgounds. I feel bad for the horses having to deal with this and the financial impact this must be having on our downtown restaurants who offer outdoor dining. Not for me!

Posted by Cher
on Aug 30, 2022 at 2:43 pm

Cher is a registered user.

I know for a fact that the excrement from the 700 boarded horses from the horse races was left behind (at least the last pick up).
I know they were attempting clean up but it was slow and I notified the city.
I hope they are looking at the fairgrounds for a source and the county is involved.
It is going to be up to 100 degrees later this week.

Posted by keeknlinda
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Aug 30, 2022 at 6:32 pm

keeknlinda is a registered user.

I too am a senior resident who has lived here more than 50 years. I didn't tell anybody about the fairgrounds, horses and flies, but I'm from the midwest, so I know that there are fllies around horses. But they're not the same kind as these that seem to be downtown. Or at least not the ones I experienced downtown this evening. These are little guys, and those that plague horses and humongous, at least 3 times the size. Seems to me we used to call them Blue Bottles, because of their iridescent bluish coloration in the sun.
Since the fair has hosted horse races for close to 200 years, and this is the first of my 50-years residency hearing complaints about the flies, I have to guess the 2 events are coincidental at most, and likely not related. Besides, this is nearly September, and the fair closed at least 6 weeks ago.
It is typical for there to be sticky flies as summer weather wanes into fall, at least in Kansas. Outdoor dining downtown became a pleasant experience during Covid, so much so that the experience has continued to blossom. In past years, we've had spraying for mosquitoes as a regular occurrence. Been a long time since I've seen the helicopters flying low at night. Maybe the spraying has been stopped because of concerns about the spray and toxicity?
Whatever it is, when it gets chilly, they'll go away. Maybe we've come to expect too much of our private little Utopia.

Posted by John
on Aug 30, 2022 at 8:07 pm

John is a registered user.

My god! We cannot tolerate flies in Pleasantville. This must be dealt with immediately. This is intolerable. The next thing you now all the Karen's in town will have a hissy fit. Elect someone who can deal with this disaster.

Posted by smurph
on Aug 31, 2022 at 9:50 am

smurph is a registered user.

It might help if the city trash receptacles were emptied more frequently and not left overflowing for days (just an observation). I used the MobileCitizen app to send in my requests for service.

Posted by Robertbush81
a resident of Mohr Park
on Sep 7, 2022 at 10:17 am

Robertbush81 is a registered user.

Hi,
Resident of Pleasantville here. There are more flies in my experience. I noticed them at the Fairgrounds Course and asked what was going on. It seems for the last month or so the flies have been on a rampage. Take it or leave it as to the cause. 700 horses showing up is a good a reason as any given the creek is bone dry in downtown.

Posted by keeknlinda
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Sep 7, 2022 at 11:48 am

keeknlinda is a registered user.

Isn't that why flyswatters were created?

Posted by LINDA MONIZ
a resident of Foothill Farms
on Sep 7, 2022 at 2:40 pm

LINDA MONIZ is a registered user.

I have lived over by Foothill High School for over 53 years. 4 years ago I had a fly infestation that covered 2 sliding doors completely in my backyard, and my front porch area was also covered in them (there had to have been thousands of them). They just land and then eventually die. The second year this happened I called Vector Control which wasn't any help. I called them again the third year it happened (it happened 2 times that year) and the head ecologist identified them as swamp flies and said they were going to look for the area they were coming from; nothing ever happened. This year they started coming in July, I called Vector Control again. They now have identified these flies as Minettia Flaveola flies and said that there isn't much known about them, except, the larvae grow in wet rotting leaves (I don't have any in my yard). Since Vector Control was here the last time, these flies have been coming every day; I'm at my wits end, it's like a nightmare. If the city finds resolution for this issue, I would hope that they would help me with my fly issue!!!

In order to encourage respectful and thoughtful discussion, commenting on stories is available to those who are registered users. If you are already a registered user and the commenting form is not below, you need to log in. If you are not registered, you can do so here.

Please make sure your comments are truthful, on-topic and do not disrespect another poster. Don't be snarky or belittling. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

See our announcement about requiring registration for commenting.

Stay informed.

Get the day's top headlines from PleasantonWeekly.com sent to your inbox in the Express newsletter.

Palo Alto's bold proposal to jumpstart home electrification
By Sherry Listgarten | 22 comments | 5,412 views

How Much Time do You Spend Outdoors?
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 2,230 views

Collaboration center opens to foster new partnerships for lab and university
By Tim Hunt | 1 comment | 675 views