NEWS ALERT:Most local candidate lists confirmed

Editorial: City's district election map, up for key vote Tuesday, reeks of gerrymandering

Original post made on Feb 28, 2022

Three city council members voted on Thursday to advance a district election map that feels very gerrymandered and splits a neighborhood versus the alternative map that better complies with the criteria and just makes the most sense.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Sunday, February 27, 2022, 9:15 PM

Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 28, 2022 at 5:27 pm

Michael Austin is a registered user.

I sent an email to mayor Brown, council members Testa, and Arkin.
I copied Narum and Balch.
In my email, I stated that I will support Ventura Hills neighborhood if they wish to challenge the selection of the Tangerine map for districting.

Posted by Jan Batcheller
on Mar 1, 2022 at 1:57 pm

Jan Batcheller is a registered user.

I am disappointed that our Mayor and two Councilwomen chose a gerrymandered map. I have followed all discussion at the Council meetings and voiced my support for the green/lime map. The lime map is a fair, unbiased, clear division of our city along arterials, respecting neighborhoods. The tangerine map doesn't make sense if you exclude the current political situation. This map is for ten years and it will be easier to update the lime map. I hope council re-considers its decision.

Posted by Another fact checker
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Mar 2, 2022 at 9:56 am

Another fact checker is a registered user.

I was shocked to read such a biased and misinformed editorial.
At the previous Council meeting, the demographer specifically said that there was absolutely no gerrymandering with any of the maps that were being considered. This was confirmed by the consulting attorney last night as well. He explained what gerrymandering was and said there was absolutely no gerrymandering in any of the maps being considered. He said it did not even apply based on the definition of gerrymandering. He opined that they were all credible and fully legal options.

It is fine to have healthy and respectful disagreements about maps as there are pros and cons to all options. But to see an editorial with such misleading information and such a slanderous bent from the Weekly (and then furthered by Chamber representatives like Jan Bachelor) is reprehensible in my opinion. If I continue to see this level of bias and misinformation, I will cancel my subscription.

Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Mar 2, 2022 at 11:38 am

Michael Austin is a registered user.

Anonymous posters have no creditability!

The demographer and the legal counsel are paid consultants, the demographer fee is $50K.

Their opinion was paid for. Cannot possibly be nonpartisan.

The Tangerine map is the wrong map for the next ten years. The lime map would be the correct map selection for the next ten years.

Posted by Jan Batcheller
on Mar 2, 2022 at 12:05 pm

Jan Batcheller is a registered user.

To Another Fact Checker: While I am a proud member of the Pleasanton Chamber of Commerce, I do not speak for the Chamber. My opinion is mine alone. I stand behind my support for the Green/Lime map. It is the clearest, simplest most unbiased map.
I believe this will be a big topic for discussion in the upcoming local elections and I eagerly look forward to the debate.

Posted by Gary Sabo
a resident of Pleasanton Middle School
on Mar 2, 2022 at 1:25 pm

Gary Sabo is a registered user.

According to CVRA-2001 districting is to take into account "communities of interest". The Tangerine Plan favored by some members of City Council splits (or gerrymanders) a specific "community of interest", Ventana Hills, into 2 "communities of interest" divided along resident streets, namely Independence Drive, Hopkins Way, and Lund Ranch Road. Thus neighbors across the street from each other would be in 2 different voting districts. The split of a "community interest", I was told, is to accomodate the fact that 2 council members live in the same district. By splitting (or gerrymandering") Ventana Hills the short-term problem of 2 council members in the same district is alleviated.
So I would not be voting for the same slate of candidates for "my district" that my neighbor, across the street, would be voting for in his slate of candidates. And the proposed Tangerine solution would be in effect for 10 years. New elections for termed-out council members would be much sooner to eventually correct the short-term abberation.