Downtown split proposed for Pleasanton election map

Original post made on Jan 19, 2022

Pleasanton's downtown area could be represented by two city council members in the future, an idea also floated for another area at the Pleasanton City Council meeting on Tuesday.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, January 19, 2022, 12:35 PM

Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jan 19, 2022 at 4:34 pm

Michael Austin is a registered user.

City administration provided maps for voters to make their choice for Pleasanton redistricting. I followed through with that opportunity given the directions below.

1. Draw a line around a single district or a full four district plan.
2. Each district should have between 18,975 and 20,974 people.
3. Email a picture or scan to [email protected]
I completed my version for the redistricting and provided four districts with population within the numbers stated:
1. North Pleasanton - 20,179 people.
2. East Pleasanton - 19,499 people.
3. Central Pleasanton - 19,248 people.
4. Southwest Pleasanton - 20,169 people.
I suggested these could be numbered with the sequence the were developed.
Central Pleasanton district one, East Pleasanton district two, North Pleasanton district three and Southwest Pleasanton district four.

I sent copies to all council members. Councilmember Valarie Arkin acknowledged receipt with an email. Mayor Karla Brown acknowledged receipt with an email. All other council members ignored me. Mayor Brown held my map up at the meeting to indicate response from the public she received. Valarie Arkin remarked she "received map with jagged lines". The map provided by city administration was jagged. I guess Valarie anticipates square corners and perfect ovals.

SB 9 and Sb 10 had considerable discussion last night. I was impressed with Jack Balch summary. He asked questions that were not answered, and questions he asked could not be answered because Pleasanton city attorney and acting city manager were not prepared to answer. Jack, "my questions are greeted with silence" and response to Jack was "haven't researched or studied that matter". The acting city manager is responsible for agenizing council meetings. However, he could not answer questions from council members because he was not prepared. Pleasanton city attorney knew the agenda for the council meeting. However, he could not answer questions from council members.

Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jan 19, 2022 at 4:37 pm

Michael Austin is a registered user.

The acting city manager and the current city attorney should be replaced with professional women who prepare and can answer questions. I recommend Catherine Baker for city attorney, and I recommend Condo Lisa rice for city manager.

Posted by dknute
a resident of Golden Eagle
on Jan 20, 2022 at 10:56 am

dknute is a registered user.

Sounds like you're getting closer and closer to what I initially recommended.....and it was simple!..
My offer still stands...maybe not so much alone as you all first thought!... :-)

Posted by CWM
a resident of Stoneridge
on Jan 20, 2022 at 4:49 pm

CWM is a registered user.

Why are we doing this? Do we have a segment of our community that is under served? Do the people living in Vintage Hill's get better or less service than those that live in the Fairland's neighborhood? I think not. Are we now officially a "woke" community. Seems to me that in my 50 years of living in Pleasanton the system that we now have has served this community quite well. If its not broken there is no need to fix it.

Posted by Bryan
on Jan 21, 2022 at 11:40 am

Bryan is a registered user.

I thought it was really strange that Mayor Brown and Councilmember Narum both advocated for Downtown to have multiple representatives. Districts should represent people, not business. According to census data, the downtown neighborhood has about 3,000 people, making up around 3% of Pleasanton's 80,000 residents. Even if it is the "heart of the city," its not clear for me why downtown deserves any extra representation compared to other city residents.