1. Gift card scan codes are being modified where the new number directs any money you ask to be placed on the card to go directly to the thieves bank accounts.
2. The criminal places a paper with numbers that looks like the original over the valid code and then re-glues the cover down. It is almost impossible to see a difference.
3. Before you purchase a gift card do the following: (as explained to me by the associate at the Dublin Safeway)
- run your finger nail over the scan number and feel if there are raised ridges or not. A more smooth feel is fake. Verify if it scratches off by scraping because it is paper and a fake.
-REAL gift cards are plastic with high ridges. FAKE gift cards are smoother and made of paper.
- see photo
- I have no idea what gift card the criminals have stolen then modified and returned to the racks, so check any you want to buy.
- I am sending this post to local police departments and local news outlets.
- I don’t know if this is happening at any establishment that sells gift card, so be careful anywhere you purchase.
- I don’t know if this happens with debt, cash, check, or credit or crypto… this is something the authorities will need to figure out.
Sad- be careful
I tried to give as much details as I know. Feel free to contact authorities to get more info as I may not have answers.