Pleasanton council backs new city law requiring guns to be locked up

Original post made on Nov 9, 2021

The Pleasanton City Council last Tuesday unanimously approved an ordinance requiring the city's gun owners to either store them in a locked container or keep an engaged trigger lock on their firearms.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, November 8, 2021, 5:55 PM

Posted by sanity
a resident of Mohr Park
on Nov 9, 2021 at 9:44 am

sanity is a registered user.

Posted by MichaelB
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Nov 9, 2021 at 10:25 am

MichaelB is a registered user.

"It also cites a 2016 study published in the American Journal of Public Health saying an estimated 54% of gun owners don't lock up all their guns or store them trigger-locked, unloaded, and separate from ammunition."

Did the "study" (or the city council) ever bother to consider that the entire idea behind personal protection/self defense in a residence is to have a firearm available for immediate usage vs. having it locked up/not being available?

Posted by buklau
a resident of Avila
on Nov 9, 2021 at 12:36 pm

buklau is a registered user.

Just ban them at this point. We all know the city wants to.

Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Nov 9, 2021 at 2:07 pm

Michael Austin is a registered user.

There are more catalytic convertor thefts in Pleasanton then there are guns. Why not do something about the catalytic thefts and the low life from other cities involved with those thefts. Do something with those people that are the market, buying the stolen catalytic convertors.

Posted by MichaelB
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Nov 9, 2021 at 9:06 pm

MichaelB is a registered user.

"Splendid, so if an intruder comes into my house and is threatening my life I'll just ask him to wait a minute while I get my keys. Why didn't I think of that?"

No problem here. Since an intruder is breaking into a house in Pleasanton, he/she will already have a trigger lock on their own gun (and will have to remove it first) - because the city council/mayor just passed a law saying everyone now needs one.