PUSD: Extracurricular camps, student cohorts halted in fallout from high-schoolers' potential spreader party

Original post made on Dec 2, 2020

Pleasanton high schools announced Monday that they will be pausing all voluntary in-person extracurricular activities after some students attended a party over Thanksgiving break resulting in potential positive exposure to COVID-19.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 1:16 PM

37 people like this
Posted by Claudette McDermott
a resident of Del Prado
on Dec 2, 2020 at 1:07 pm

Claudette McDermott is a registered user.

Any activities that require you NOT TO BE MASKED should be dropped at this time. That is such a no brainer!!

Kids will be kids and some adults too, behave as if "It can't happen to me" and "It won't kill me" and "Live today, Die tomorrow" without any thought of those they come in contact with that may get sick too. It's not just about you people!

19 people like this
Posted by Silverfox
a resident of Castlewood
on Dec 2, 2020 at 7:15 pm

Silverfox is a registered user.

And here I thought our school district was one of the best in Califonria. Come on kids and parents--get your act together. Quit thinking about yourself only. Think about everyone whether you like them or not. Wear a mask, stay away within 6 feet and quit gatherings. I have .

38 people like this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Dec 2, 2020 at 11:45 pm

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

Hypocrites.

You chastise the children but avert your scolding to elected officials doing the same.

No one died, no one was hospitalized. Get over it.

14 people like this
Posted by Resident001
a resident of Castlewood
on Dec 3, 2020 at 9:52 am

Resident001 is a registered user.

I don’t understand the timing. My son plays football and we were notified of canceled workouts on Sunday or Monday I can’t remember. This is not enough time to catch COVID over the break, start showing symptoms, test and receive the results. Is it me or does something not add up?

26 people like this
Posted by Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Dec 3, 2020 at 11:05 am

Parent is a registered user.

@resident001
Yes, sports practices had already been canceled the week of TG break because of the new tier status. The district is using this party as the scapegoat for canceling sports for the rest of the year, when in fact they had already decided they weren’t going ahead.

11 people like this
Posted by Disappointed
a resident of Foothill High School
on Dec 4, 2020 at 5:05 pm

Disappointed is a registered user.

To Hypocrites. How do you know no one has died yet, or are you like Trump and believe COVID-19 is a hoax?

I chastise both the kid and parents for allowing this party to happen.
Hosting a party during COVID-19 is no different than Criminally Negligent Homicide if someone dies.
I'm also disappointed in what cowards the parents are for not cooperating with county health officials for contract tracing.

To the young lady and parents (I should call you out by name) who hosted the party with no regard for anyone else but yourself.

I hope you go to bed wondering if a family's world was changed forever because they lost a loved one due to your actions, or are you just that self-centered that you do not care.

Like this comment
Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Dec 4, 2020 at 6:22 pm

Michael Austin is a registered user.

I have made multiple visits in the central valley last two weeks on essential business. Modesto, Turlock and Hilmar.

No one is wearing a mask, except me.

One young man asked me, "what is that mask doing for you"

I replied, "prolonging, saving my life"

People in the Stockton area are wearing masks.

In several Bay Area cities I see signage at intersections entering the cities, "MASK UP".

15 people like this
Posted by Resident001
a resident of Castlewood
on Dec 4, 2020 at 10:20 pm

Resident001 is a registered user.

@ Disappointed: parties have been happening since lockdown, they haven’t stopped. I don’t even know that the party in question even happened, does anyone have specifics? Are you as upset with Gavin Newsom, the dem legislators who partied with lobbyists at a resort in Hawaii and London Breed? If not, you should be.

6 people like this
Posted by @resident001 & Parent
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Dec 5, 2020 at 3:51 pm

@resident001 & Parent is a registered user.

You need to just stop with the fake conspiracy theories. Like PUSD wants any of this to be happening because they have nothing else going on.

High school house parties happened the first weekend of Thanksgiving break and many kids became sick by Wed, the day before Thanksgiving - then ultimately tested positive for Covid.

Students from these parties also attended school and sport group functions after their weekend partying and were with their families and extended families at Thanksgiving before their tests were returned (second bad choice!)...

...so now the contract tracing is vital to attempt to identify the contact points and corral the spread.

The school district is doing what they can to assess the scope of the potential spread, but in the absence of a complete list of who was involved they have to error on the side of caution to protect the innocent students who have been following the guidelines - so they had no option but to shut things down.

2 people like this
Posted by Longtime Ptown Parent
on Dec 5, 2020 at 6:12 pm

Longtime Ptown Parent is a registered user.

I really wish the parents in question would cooperate with the district. I know no one intended for any of this to happen, but it’s such a disappointment that they then wouldn’t turn around and do what they can to mitigate the damage.

4 people like this
Posted by Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Dec 5, 2020 at 6:40 pm

Parent is a registered user.

@resident001&Parent

And you know all these details, how? Regardless, you have just confirmed that the earliest PUSD knew about any of these parties, or any kid had become sick was Wednesday, which is after PUSD had already canceled Foothill practices due to the new tier level. So why did PUSD lay it all on these high schoolers? I don’t condone these parties but groups are meeting all over town - these kids haven’t been in school for 9 months and are struggling, and parents are doing their best. I didn’t see any PUSD letter after 100’s of kids went on the senior beach trip or senior sunrise in August. Yes, bad judgement by these kids but PUSD also let them down by blaming the shut down of sports purely on them. Get these kids back to school! Other districts have managed it.

1 person likes this
Posted by @Parent
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Dec 6, 2020 at 2:12 pm

@Parent is a registered user.

Actually PUSD, and just about everyone else knew about these parties the day they happened - thanks to the high school students in attendance who were proudly posting on social media. Many saw the number of people in attendance and the conditions.

I don't know the timeline of when you say Foothill practices were cancelled but common knowledge of the parties was out on Saturday 11/21 if that helps you piece things together. Stay safe.

6 people like this
Posted by very trying times
on Dec 6, 2020 at 2:18 pm

very trying times is a registered user.

Disappointed... you lost me at "call her out by name". It doesn't seem like you will be happy unless this child is stoned in the middle of Main Street.

Yes, very bad decision by ALL the kids, not 1 kid. I just drove by a dozen kids and not 1 was wearing a mask. We do need to be better. I'm guessing going from purple to orange so quickly had people let their guard down a bit.

We're all in the same storm, but we're not all in the same boat.