Pleasanton: Grocery Outlet plans to open store in Vintage Hills center

Original post made on Oct 14, 2020

Grocery Outlet appears on its way to opening a store in Pleasanton after leasing the supermarket space in the Vintage Hills Shopping Center that has sat empty since New Leaf Community Markets left nearly four years ago.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 4:49 PM

13 people like this
Posted by Grumpy
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Oct 14, 2020 at 8:21 pm

Grumpy is a registered user.

Not to be a snob, but I think this may misread that neighborhood.

9 people like this
Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 14, 2020 at 8:36 pm

Michael Austin is a registered user.

Grumpy:

I do not understand your comment.

Would you be more specific and descriptive with what you are trying to state?

We purchased our first home in Pleasanton, in this neighborhood, Twenty-five years ago. It is a very nice neighborhood, a lot of very nice people. This type of market will be welcomed.

15 people like this
Posted by Grumpy
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Oct 14, 2020 at 8:38 pm

Grumpy is a registered user.

I think Grocery Outlet will not be a good fit. I don’t see a reason to think that it will fare better than New Leaf. Moreover, I’m unsure of whether the neighborhood will respond to a discounter better than to a premium offering, but I suspect that discounters will have a tough time in that location, given its distance from the population of the city and its proximity to some of the most expensive housing in the area.

I know people who do this sort of site selection for a living for retail, and this selection seems more iffy than most.

I hate to see the place be empty, so I wish them well, and I hope they know what they’re doing. Another closure there might doom the spot for another decade.

21 people like this
Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 14, 2020 at 8:46 pm

Michael Austin is a registered user.

It is not New Leaf:

It is a discount grocery.

The areas between Bernal and main street are the most heavily, densely populated area in Pleasanton. The areas surrounding this location are heavily populated on all sides.

I can vision Grocery Outlet having success in this location.

9 people like this
Posted by Grumpy
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Oct 14, 2020 at 8:52 pm

Grumpy is a registered user.

Yes, that’s what we’re talking about, that it’s a discounter.

I don’t think the neighborhood between Bernal and Main is that dense. Maybe parts of Vineyard are, and the parts outside of the city there are unique, but I don’t see a solid reason why this will work.

I can’t guarantee that a premium offering would work either, but I think it might be easier for them to pay the rent. I know that New Leaf didn’t close for lack of business, so I tend to suspect that’s closer to what the neighborhood wants.

But we’ll see. Nevertheless, it’s reasonable to be surprised that a discounter chose that location.

10 people like this
Posted by Pete
on Oct 14, 2020 at 9:30 pm

Pete is a registered user.

Their customer service will probably surpass most other grocery stores in town...besides, there 2 buck chuck deals can’t be overlooked.

18 people like this
Posted by @Grumpy
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Oct 15, 2020 at 7:17 am

@Grumpy is a registered user.

I went to New Leaf every day and it was pretty empty most days. I was not surprised they closed, but I was surprised people did not shop there- most claimed it to be too expensive...and many were from those expensive homes you mentioned, which I bet the New Leaf execs were counting on to carry them. It was too bad, since it a great store and really friendly employees.

The owners charge outrageous rent, which I am sure contributed to the demise of New Leaf, so unless that has changed...any new tenant will have a tough go. The owners also don’t care if it is vacant as they own multiple strip malls so welcome the tax write off.

The City does not seem to care either, evidenced by how they let it stay a vacant, abandoned fire for over a decade, right in the middle of a residential neighborhood.

Hope it works out this time...I like to walk to the store :)

24 people like this
Posted by Kat5439
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Oct 15, 2020 at 9:31 am

Kat5439 is a registered user.

I think this is a good fit to our town and happy to see a viable option for this shopping center. I regularly drive to Livermore to shop at the Grocery Outlet in that location as they have staples I can’t find in our current stores plus interesting items to try.

19 people like this
Posted by Posie
a resident of another community
on Oct 15, 2020 at 9:56 am

Posie is a registered user.

This Grocery Outlet is the best as far as great deals, super discount prices, and the best customer service I have ever experienced. They don't carry everything you would find in a Safeway or Raley's, but you will find some of your regular purchases at less than half of what you pay normally. This store really rocks!!! Maybe someday they will get more items, but then I don't think their prices will stay that low. It's well worth the trip and time to make a daily trip to a Grocery Outlet.

19 people like this
Posted by Guillermo M.
on Oct 15, 2020 at 10:41 am

Guillermo M. is a registered user.

Great decision! There’s more rental, senior housing and new condominiums in that part of town that could really benefit from a low cost grocery alternative. Haven’t shopped at a GO for over 3-4 years when I worked in Oakland but loved their selection, service & prices!

22 people like this
Posted by gregory
on Oct 15, 2020 at 11:28 am

gregory is a registered user.

Grocery outlet will be welcomed to our neighborhood! I live in the upscale neighborhood in the East hills above the shopping center and am excited that I will not have to drive to Livermore to shop at grocery outlet. It cannot open soon enough for many of us who love a good bargain regardless of our income level

10 people like this
Posted by Mica
a resident of Alisal Elementary School
on Oct 15, 2020 at 11:23 pm

Mica is a registered user.

Dear Snobs andAnti-Snob Snobs, I love Grocery Outlet. I can afford to shop at Gene’s with their over-priced and date expired offerings (ok, the butcher and meat department keep me going back), and I like GO for great rotating selections and prices. Watch those expiration dates too but smart shopper go to different stores for different reasons.
I too doubt the grocery store at that location will be successful in the long run which is why it a great location to build senior housing which is sadly missing in this town because of NIMBYS.

6 people like this
Posted by FrequentWalkerMiles
on Oct 16, 2020 at 1:38 pm

FrequentWalkerMiles is a registered user.

How many people in Pleasanton drive to Livermore to go to the Costco there?

GO will do fine as long as they keep the parking lot safe and clean.

2 people like this
Posted by Fifty Years Here
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Oct 21, 2020 at 4:40 pm

Fifty Years Here is a registered user.

I'll shop there! And I've never even heard of Grocery Outlet. I live in that part of town and shopped at New Leaf. Convenience is what I'm after, and a good parking lot!