Pentin's fake news postcards

Original post made by Sunabi, Pleasanton Valley, on Oct 11, 2020

Mr. Pentin - you are trying to make it look like you are a democrat AND a republican. That is not honest. I do not like it. I googled you and you are a registered republican. Be honest and tell the truth. Do you have the guts to respond to my email or does one of your campaign team want to respond? Web Link

Here is the link showing you are endorsed by your friends at the Republican Party - and so is Jack Balch and Randy Brown. I refused to vote for any of the 3 of you.

I do not share your values for automatic gun ownership, President Trump, and a woman's reproductive body is her own. I am sure I do not share your values for the city of Pleasanton either.

25 people like this
Posted by James Michael
a resident of Val Vista
on Oct 11, 2020 at 2:04 pm

James Michael is a registered user.

You're not too partisan, Sunabi. I'm sure that there are many people that don't share your values either!

15 people like this
Posted by MichaelB
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 11, 2020 at 2:24 pm

MichaelB is a registered user.

"I do not share your values for automatic gun ownership, President Trump,...."

I don't share "progressive" (government control/less freedom) values of Democrats.

Firearms bans/confiscation schemes for the law abiding and excuses/rationalizations for the criminals. Nothing "common sense" about any it. If you want the economy to take a dive while having the government taking more of your tax dollars/retirement savings to pay for other people's "free" items, vote Biden.

5 people like this
Posted by Pete
on Oct 12, 2020 at 8:57 am

Pete is a registered user.

Sunabi, there are a number of reasons, as a long time resident, to not vote for Jerry Pentin for mayor. Party affiliations is not one of them. Your shallow thinking is shameful to the culture of our past, present and future to move forward. Personally, if hearing that this stunt was actively generated by an opposing group for mayor, I will not vote at all for mayor, as an independent, and allow the chips fall where they may. This is our Community, with all sides contributing to its existence to flourish into the future.

16 people like this
Posted by justwondering
on Oct 12, 2020 at 9:39 am

justwondering is a registered user.

Sunabi, if you did a little more checking you would find that Karla Brown was a registered Republican up until Feb or so of this year. So following your logic, you shouldn't vote for her as well. Our local races are non-partisan for good reason.

If you want to talk about misleading, there are plenty of items to bring forth regarding Karla Brown as well. Just look at the Costco post to start.

4 people like this
Posted by Sunabi
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Oct 12, 2020 at 4:21 pm

Sunabi is a registered user.

"Just wondering" I have seen you post awful things about other people so your opinion is of little interest to me. Plus you are missing my point. Karla Brown did NOT send out post cards trying to represent a political party that she is not a member for. Jerry sent out misleading post cards and that is not acceptable to me. you may be okay with fooling voters but I am not. If he is a man of integrity - he would not do that.

I will vote for Karla or Monith but not Pentin.

6 people like this
Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 13, 2020 at 8:21 pm

Michael Austin is a registered user.

In the 2016 national election, candidates for Pleasanton city council were the following three candidates:

Karla Brown, Herb Ritter, and Jerry Pentin.

The final vote count in that election elected Karla Brown and Jerry Pentin to the city council.

Karla Brown 20,337 votes.
Jerry Pentin 14,499 votes.
Herb Ritter 13,938 votes.

The Pleasanton Weekly endorsed Pentin and Ritter for that 2016 campaign.

This current campaign, the Pleasanton Weekly endorses Pentin for mayor.

I believe the Pleasanton Weekly will have endorsed the wrong candidate again.

Many of us have experienced the bullying of the Pentin campaign, the Pentin campaign invading private email addresses of citizens that have no interest in the Pentin campaign.

Nate Miley office, Alameda County Supervisor contacted the Pentin campaign to remove email address involving my family, not to use it again.

13 people like this
Posted by Linda Kelly
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Oct 14, 2020 at 1:28 pm

Linda Kelly is a registered user.

Well, Sunabi, since the mayoral race is non-partisan, I consider it a positive thing that Mr. Pentin is endorsed by both Democrat and Republican officials. What you may not understand is that the city works with County, State, and Federal governmental officials, so automatically the mayor works closely with a variety of elected officials, both Democrat and Republican.
There's no fooling of voters in those postcards. The county elections office sells lists of registered voters and it is an accepted practice for campaigns to target members of both parties. As far as awful posts go, yours is right up there with the awfullest of them.
It really doesn't matter much, because my votes for Pentin, Randy Brown and Jack Balch cancel out your votes for whoever you vote for. And your opinion is of no interest to me, so I guess we're even.

14 people like this
Posted by Bryan Gillette
a resident of Del Prado
on Oct 14, 2020 at 3:48 pm

Bryan Gillette is a registered user.

SUNABI – I am confused how you think Mr. Pentin is trying to make himself look like a Democrat and a Republican. To me, he is showing how he is endorsed by both Democrats AND Republicans. These City races are non-partisan so at the local level, I encourage all voters to look at the individual and what they HAVE DONE for the community and what they PLAN to do for the community. I see this as one of his strengths as it shows his ability to see more than just one party’s perspective. If Mr. Pentin is the person you support then vote for him. If not, vote for the person you feel will represent you the most. His list of endorsers is, however, quite impressive and something to consider when voting for a candidate.

MICHAEL – I would like to clarify a few of your statements for the readers so they see a more accurate version. Campaigns can legally use publicly made data if they purchase it through the County. We did. Many candidates have. And, after you complained to Nate Miley’s office about getting one email, they asked if we legally obtained the data. We did. They said we handled it correctly. Nate Miley still endorsed Jerry Pentin. When people indicate they don’t want these emails, we respect their views and remove their names. I'm sure other candidates do the same. We have had less than 1% of the people unsubscribe.

After you sent me an email, I mentioned that we would remove your name from future lists. We did. Ironically, you sent me an unsolicited email two weeks later. Would that be considered bullying? I didn’t think so. I just deleted it. Also, I just received an email from your candidate. Would that be considered bullying? I didn’t consider her email bullying. In fact, I thought it was well written. These emails, whether from Mr. Pentin, Ms. Brown, or Mr. Ilavarasan are meant to provide voters with more information about their candidacy. More information allows voters to be more informed. And that is better for everyone.

You are entitled to your view on who you think is the best candidate. That is one of our greatest privileges we have. I wish both of you well.

5 people like this
Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 14, 2020 at 6:02 pm

Michael Austin is a registered user.

Bryan Gillette:

That email address is not registered with the registrar of voters.

You did not get it from the registrar of voters.

I had follow up call with Mileys staff, clarified where that email address is located and the government office that controls it and what it is used for.

9 people like this
Posted by Mica
a resident of Alisal Elementary School
on Oct 15, 2020 at 11:02 pm

Mica is a registered user.

For local city elections, who cares about what party affiliation those candidates are. The council makes decisions on street repairs, infrastructure installations, new development and so forth, not about national regulations and policies.