Retired teacher Mary Jo Carreon enters Pleasanton school board race

Original post made on Aug 12, 2020

Newly retired local school teacher Mary Jo Carreon recently filed to run as the fifth and final contender for Pleasanton Unified School District Board of Trustees in November.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 4:00 PM

Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Aug 12, 2020 at 8:11 pm

Michael Austin is a registered user.

I searched all over her web site, could not find an email contact direct to the candidate.
Is this late filing candidate for PUSD board not wanting to interact with the voter?

Posted by James Carreon
a resident of Lydiksen Elementary School
on Aug 13, 2020 at 5:13 pm

James Carreon is a registered user.

Mary Jo Carreon email is [email protected]

Posted by Anti racist
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Aug 14, 2020 at 10:23 am

Anti racist is a registered user.

Michael Austin at the bottom of the website or from the menu you can click “contact” to send a message to the candidate.

Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Aug 14, 2020 at 1:33 pm

Michael Austin is a registered user.

James Carreon provided her email address. I have since exchanged emails with Mary Jo. The email address was not available 08/12/20. When I clicked on contact, it took me to donation site.

Posted by Bay Area Native
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Aug 15, 2020 at 1:48 pm

Bay Area Native is a registered user.

Mary Jo Carreon is an unwavering supporter of APT (teachers' union). Electing her would essentially give the union a seat on the Governing Board. We need Trustees who will put students first.

Posted by Fact Checker
on Aug 22, 2020 at 12:08 am

Fact Checker is a registered user.

Give me a break Bay Area Native, Mary Jo has served Pleasanton students and families for over two decades. And she had two kids go through Pleasanton schools so she is also a parent. Everyone that knows her knows that she puts students at the forefront of everything she does.

Posted by Bay Area Native
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Aug 22, 2020 at 7:24 am

Bay Area Native is a registered user.

“Everyone” that knows Mary Jo does not share your point of view. Being a parent is not synonymous with being a Trustee who will put students first. I’m unaware of any current or former Trustee who was not a parent yet we’ve had Trustees with obvious conflicts and/or who put APT’s interests first.
Examples. A former trustee who received a large donation from APT while his PUSD teacher wife was the Union’s treasurer. He never recused himself from votes on teacher contacts, pay, promotions, etc. A former trustee whose son withdrew from the district to attend private school (while dad was a trustee) after not being selected as the starting QB at Foothill. How do you advocate for PUSD kids when you don’t send your own kids there? A current Trustee whose daughter is an employee yet he doesn’t recuse himself from voting on contacts and promotions.
I’ve personally interacted with Mary Jo. She is in fact very pro-union. Not everyone disagrees with that but I do. It’s not mutually exclusive to advocate for both students and employees but inevitably there are conflicts. I don’t support candidates who put the unions’ interests first.

Posted by Get the Facts
on Aug 24, 2020 at 11:11 pm

Get the Facts is a registered user.

@BayAreaNative, the board member you speak of did in fact recuse himself on EVERY union contract vote, despite district legal advising him it was unneccesary. I witnessed this in person and virtually.

And doesn't everyone have a conflict of interest? I've had four kids in the system. I know some teachers. On my street is a classified employee. Next door is a former board member. Do these prevent me from running for school board? Everyone's got a conflict or two...or three...