Specialty's Café & Bakery, headquartered in Pleasanton, going out of business

Original post made on May 16, 2020

Specialty's Cafe & Bakery, a restaurant brand headquartered in Pleasanton and operating more than 50 locations in three states, announced on Friday that they will be closing for good in the days ahead.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Saturday, May 16, 2020, 2:44 PM

Posted by Ashok
a resident of Ruby Hill
on May 16, 2020 at 4:11 pm

This is heartbreaking news. We love their cookies, soups, and delicious breakfast.

Posted by AAP
a resident of another community
on May 16, 2020 at 4:19 pm

I always thought they were overpriced. Last time I ate them was because someone else paid.

Posted by Debbie
a resident of another community
on May 16, 2020 at 6:46 pm

This is very sad news. I loved their food and baked goods. Heartbreaking. :(

Posted by Jose
a resident of another community
on May 16, 2020 at 9:07 pm

Loved all the food, drinks, and cookies. So sad they are closing. I ate there once a week. How about selling the cookies online????

Posted by Jim
a resident of San Ramon
on May 16, 2020 at 9:17 pm

Agree with another reply...always thought it was overpriced. I enjoy their sandwiches, and the cookies are pretty amazing, but I never personally paid to eat there. It was always on the company dime for a working lunch.

Posted by Bryan
a resident of another community
on May 16, 2020 at 10:11 pm

I can't believe it. I first learned of Specialty's in the late nineties while working in San Francisco. They always had the freshest bread for lunch sandwiches and of course best cookies. I've seen them expand over the years even down to Southern California. If you haven't had their food you missed out. This is so sad. To all the employees, I loved your excellent service and great food. I hope you the best in your future endeavors.

Posted by RL
a resident of Stoneridge
on May 16, 2020 at 10:32 pm

Honestly not much of a loss. Sandwiches were meh and too pricey. Instead I feel bad for the loss of jobs, but hopefully these people can be rehired by whatever (better) restaurants take their places.

Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on May 17, 2020 at 7:14 am

Place was really good. Another sad loss.

Posted by Jake Waters
on May 18, 2020 at 8:13 am

As I have said in other articles, every time we wake up another business is gone. It appears unless you are a billionaire Democrat in this state as Elon Musk is you are not given exemptions or considerations. A very good article in the Federalist about Elon Musk’s defiance: Web Link

Posted by Matthew
a resident of another community
on Jun 1, 2020 at 6:53 am

This is sad news but we have to think on a brighter side. It's for the safety of everybody.
- Matthew Connors, Arlington Land Surveyors