State extending unemployment call hours, creating fund for undocumented immigrants

Original post made on Apr 18, 2020

Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Wednesday that California will boost staffing at its Economic Development Department and extend a state unemployment call center's hours to make it easier for residents to apply for unemployment benefits.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Saturday, April 18, 2020, 10:17 AM

3 people like this
Posted by Craig Clement
a resident of California Reflections
on Apr 18, 2020 at 1:17 pm

Why are people gettingeliminated for the extra $600 a week unemployment because of false statement penalty weeks in the past?

2 people like this
Posted by Karl
on Apr 18, 2020 at 5:23 pm

Those of you that complained on other posts about the funds to help undocumented immigrants- since the Sanctuary State and CA Resistance Movement allowed them into the state, it’s very fair and the right thing to do.

I have personally made some larger donations, with a 100% match from my employer, to the Alameda County Community Foodbank to help the people in our community that can’t even manage to get a decent meal on a daily basis. I’m sure quote a bit of what I give supports undocumented immigrants.

While I don’t support the idea of allowing undocumented immigrants to stay in our country, I do support taking care of them during these very challenging times. They are human beings and deserve our help.

If you don’t like this state’s ideas about undocumented immigrants, then go to the source and vote them out of office.

9 people like this
Posted by Sharra
on Apr 18, 2020 at 5:27 pm

That 125 million should all go to businesses and citizens that pay taxes, considering it’s our taxpayer funded money. Then the citizens can choose to pay an illegal worker with it or not and pay the employees that had a lot of taxes taken out of their paychecks and given to the government for just this reason, unemployment.

5 people like this
Posted by Sue
on Apr 18, 2020 at 5:29 pm

We will never get them out of office...they cheat during elections...just ask Donna Brazil

1 person likes this
Posted by Karl
on Apr 18, 2020 at 5:37 pm

Sharra

Your caring attitude is underwhelming

Hope you don’t get sick and have to rely on amy of those undocumented individuals. You would be surprised who is undocumented- healthcare workers being one significant group.

It’s not just the lawn guy and housecleaner people hire at below market rates to take advantage of their status.

Many do pay taxes

Glad I don’t have your Karma energy

13 people like this
Posted by Why
a resident of Avila
on Apr 18, 2020 at 5:44 pm

Why are they called undocumented residents? They are illegal aliens.

2 people like this
Posted by Karl
on Apr 18, 2020 at 6:02 pm

I clean my own house and do my own yard work

When I have hired people as a manager at my company, I have always asked, in the legally correct way: Do you have the rigth to legally work in the United States of America

I did not accuse you of hiring “illegal slaves from Mexico”

The only think I accused you of is being a cold hearted, uncaring person.

Personally, if and when ( who knows with this terrible virus) I am able to give up my well paying high tech job and retire, I will be exiting the Sanctuary Sate of California as quickly as possible.

Until then I will help the people , through no fault of their own, that need help.

And I hope to avoid as many of the cold hearted and selfish people, like Sharra as I can.

8 people like this
Posted by Why
a resident of Avila
on Apr 18, 2020 at 6:07 pm

@Karl

Make sure you go to a state with similar political views as yourself. Otherwise the locals won’t be friendly.

2 people like this
Posted by Karl
on Apr 18, 2020 at 6:22 pm

Why

Yes, that’s very important. Thanks

I have lived outside of CA and know there are lots of nice places not in this state.

The trick will be to find the right place that won’t have a bunch ex-Californians trying to turn it into another CA.

5 people like this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Apr 18, 2020 at 9:18 pm

If we are in a position to support people here illegally, great, we should , so long as every legal resident wanting and needing support is fully addressed.

......and yet parcel taxes are being requested for leaky roofs? Hmmm

7 people like this
Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Apr 18, 2020 at 9:21 pm

Lets take care of our own first, beginning with our seniors!

4 people like this
Posted by Wow
on Apr 19, 2020 at 8:34 am

Karl how many illegal immigrants who are in need are currently living under your roof and eating your food ? My guess is zero. I guess using your logic your a heartless sob. Now dont try and tell me you help in other ways . Put your money where your mouth is fill up your house with those in need and feed them then you can get on your soap box and tell us all how to act. Until your actually doing everything you can to support them your full of crap. So how many karl big heart how many ?

2 people like this
Posted by Why
a resident of Avila
on Apr 19, 2020 at 5:05 pm

@karl

You might consider Texas. My kids all moved there and love it. I’m moving down there after this mess clears up although I worry a bit about the impact on real estate here if Newsom keeps us shutdown much longer.

Texas is a great state and the people are really warm once they find out your not some liberal California wack job.

Good luck.

1 person likes this
Posted by Karl
on Apr 19, 2020 at 6:36 pm

Wow

Over the last 3 weeks I have donated $6000 to the foodbank, with much of that money going to undocumented immigrants

With my company’s match, that makes it &12,000

Now, what exactly have you done?

Besides bloviate on this blog?

8 people like this
Posted by Michael
a resident of Laguna Oaks
on Apr 19, 2020 at 6:54 pm

Why should one penny of tax money paid by citizens go to help illegal immigrants. There are hungry homeless US citizens that should be taken care of before some border jumper working for cash, crowding our ER’s, getting free social services.

2 people like this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Apr 20, 2020 at 7:14 am

Michael,
Just my opinion, provided we're in a position to help all those who want it and need it (i.e. we shouldn't be asking the community for school funding, veteran services are where they should be, etc) I'm fine with supporting people in the country illegally so long as they're contributing to society in a positive manner. I'd rather help that individual/family over someone on drugs living on the streets whose not even willing to try and live without drugs as part of the deal.

3 people like this
Posted by Jake Waters
on Apr 20, 2020 at 8:16 am

@Karl

I don’t know if you can hear me Karl, being so high up their on the mountain top, but I will give it a try: We would vote them out, but this is a one party state, so we have to live with the Democrats poor choices and decisions.

4 people like this
Posted by Karl
on Apr 20, 2020 at 9:45 am

Jake

So I go back to my original point:

It’s cold hearted and selfish to not help these people. They are here and are not going any where.

I do not support the CA state of sanctuary and resistance , but at least I’m willing to help people who need help. I will be moving out of this state as soon as I can. Probably will make you and others happy.......good riddance to you all

Perhaps I appear to be so high up on a mountain, from your perspective , because you are so low?

You reside in the state of CA as well as a state of denial regarding your true self