State now deems farmers' markets as essential; Pleasanton's remains 'temporarily closed' | Town Square | PleasantonWeekly.com |

Original post made on Mar 28, 2020

The state has since deemed farmers' markets as essential food sources that may remain open. But a number of weekend markets in the Bay Area, including those in Concord, Pleasanton and Danville, remain "temporarily closed."

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, March 23, 2020, 4:20 PM

Like this comment
Posted by old guy
a resident of Willow West
on Mar 28, 2020 at 3:48 pm

the Pleasanton farmers Market is an excellent source of high quality fruits and vegetables. Considering that it operates outside it seems to me to be a safer environment for purchasing these fruits and vegetables. How does the Pleasanton authorities justify keeping this resource closed yet allow the enclosed grocery outlets to remain open?

Like this comment
Posted by BobB
on Mar 28, 2020 at 4:16 pm

If someone could post some officers or volunteers to remind people to keep their distance from each other, it should really stay open in my opinion.

Like this comment
Posted by BobB
on Mar 28, 2020 at 6:31 pm

Or not Dotard. Maybe we keep them shut. If health experts say keep them shut, that's what we should do.

Like this comment
Posted by old guy
a resident of Willow West
on Mar 29, 2020 at 4:07 am

Exactly... In reference to the Farmers Market the state experts have spoken. Farmers Markets are deemed as an acceptable outlet for fruits and vegetables and should be allowed to operate. It was the local authorities who decided to suspend services. By the way, these local Pleasanton authorities made the decision with only the best intent in mind. However they are not the experts.

9 people like this
Posted by Karl
on Mar 29, 2020 at 5:28 am

The current configuration of the farmers market does not enable adequate social distancing.

I can’t even get people to stay six feet away when walking Even when I move off of a 10 ft wide sidewalk into the street or landscaping.

What makes anybody think the selfish people will think of others if the farmers market is opened?

And another point - this isn’t really the time of year when there is a variety of fresh produce in season.

Play it safe for the sake of your community - even ‘old guy’ who doesn’t seem to think he has anything to worry about even though he is (I assume due to his name) a person who is at risk.

This isn’t about us as individuals and our personal freedoms, it’s about doing what is right for your community and country to allow this terrible virus run its course as quickly as possible.

The longer people stay in denial, thinking this is hoax or joke or don’t want to give a bit of freedom for a short time for the good of their community, the longer it’s going to take. And more people will DIE.

2 people like this
Posted by Jen
on Mar 29, 2020 at 9:32 am

“Weekend markets” or “Wet markets” not much difference once one vendor has the VIRUS. And before you order your takeout you better call the restaurant and make sure the cook is wearing a mask and gloves, and a hat to catch the sweat.

5 people like this
Posted by old guy
a resident of Willow West
on Mar 29, 2020 at 9:50 am

Gee Karl, you certainly make a lot of accusations / assumptions about someone you don't know. Please understand that I am not in denial, don't think this is a hoax, don't think this a joke and am quite willing to give up my freedom for the better good. During these times we all need some level of guidance whether we agree with them or not. In this case there are those in our state who have been anointed as those who provide this guidance. And those folks have determined that farmers markets are deemed an essential entity tasked with providing food to us all. This fine publication reported that fact in an article a few days ago. Those state experts have made their decision and now it is the responsibility of the local authorities to enforce the rules so we can be well fed and safe at the same time.

1 person likes this
Posted by Karl
on Mar 29, 2020 at 11:21 am

Not all my comments were directed at old guy and I noted my assumption.

I trust the Federal Task Force Doctors, mind you not the president, and they are telling at risk people, which by the way I am one, to stay home.

Opening farmers markets goes against their guidance.

The state of CA has the right to go against this and individuals do as well.

Just take a look at NYC to get an idea of “the potential” situation CA could be in a week or more.

Why risk it?

Why put yourself, your family, your friends and your community needlessly at risk?

I went to Safeway and Raley’s at 6am yesterday and there was plenty of fresh produce, including organic.

There were maybe 10 people max in each store and there was no lines at checkout .

So there is a “safe” way for people to get healthy food and also keep themselves and their community safe.

Raley’s and Safeway also offer safe food delivery as another option.

I am offering my more senior neighbors my help if they meed groceries or other help.

Old guy - I’d be happy to help you or any other at risk person in my community.......honestly

It’s situations like this that force us to look at things differently and maybe make uncomfortable adjustments to our lives or lifestyle

1 person likes this
Posted by Karl
on Mar 29, 2020 at 11:26 am

To provide one clarification

While I am an at risk person approaching my 61st birthday, it is very low risk for me to go shopping at 6am with nobody else in the store. I otherwise am keeping away from people until it is clear CA is not going to get as serious as NYC

2 people like this
Posted by BobB
on Mar 29, 2020 at 11:47 am

I agree. I wouldn't go to the farmers marked either way. Just not worth the risk to all of us.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Get fact-based reporting on the COVID-19 crisis sent to your inbox daily.

Time to blow up high school as we've known it

Premarital and Couples: Are you Kinder to Strangers than to Your Partner?
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 1,268 views