PPIE pivots during coronavirus with Virtual Race 2020 | Town Square | PleasantonWeekly.com |

PPIE pivots during coronavirus with Virtual Race 2020

Original post made on Mar 25, 2020

The Pleasanton Partnerships in Education Foundation (PPIE) has canceled its eighth annual Run for Education -- sort of. Look for Virtual Race 2020 instead.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, March 20, 2020, 1:49 PM

8 people like this
Posted by PaulN
on Mar 25, 2020 at 10:41 pm

This is an important event in many ways. As a direct result of this event the site technology specialist at the 3 middle schools are able to work over summer. This time is important for many reasons...one being the intake, cleaning, processing, and preparation of devices from graduating 8th graders for incoming 6th graders. Without this event and these funds not may this not be possible the families of these employees will be greatly impacted by this loss of income. Additionally, the money raised also allows these same employees to work 8 hours a day (only a 6 hour day and a 10 month work year is provided by union contract) during the school year. Among other things this money also supports Librarian hours.

4 people like this
Posted by Kelly French
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Mar 27, 2020 at 2:38 pm

I will post the link for PPIE's Virtual Race 2020 on Tuesday, March 31st. Charity Footprints is working hard to finish building out the platform for us.

7 people like this
Posted by Question for PPIE's President
a resident of Parkside
on Mar 29, 2020 at 3:41 pm

Hello Ms. French-We have not met but I want you to know I am very uncomfortable with PPIE spending (correct me if I am wrong) $5000 in favor of Measure M. I donate to PPIE through my race entrance fee, I often attend events, and my employer supports PPIE. I did not vote for Measure M, the newest Property Tax Bond, but I was angry to see my funds and others used for political purposes. There was no "No on Measure M" argument in my election packet, there were no yard signs against the measure and it still was unable to reach 55%. Why were precious funds from donations used to support a political campaign? Are you going to support the next school board candidate that agrees with Measure M too? I can tell you my employer did not like it either and they are considering not supporting PPIE in the future. Politics, even for school bonds, should be separate from PPIE. That is NOT why I have donated in the past. And to better understand the value of $5000, that is 10 "Honor Roll" family donations. Can you really risk that for PPIE's future?

1 person likes this
Posted by No On M
on Mar 29, 2020 at 6:06 pm

I do not feel sorry for union members whose negotiated contract does not give them what they supposedly need.

Isn’t the whole point of being in a union to make sure workers represented get a living wage?

If you want or need more money, go ask your union. Don’t cry a river to get more money from me.

3 people like this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Mar 29, 2020 at 11:14 pm

I think ppie has corrupted their mission by involving themselves with the measure m bond.

Sorry, my donations stop until I see a pure execution on purpose

2 people like this
Posted by Wilmer
on Mar 30, 2020 at 5:17 am

PPIE money should not be used to eco economically support any movement on the part of the School Board to tax the citizens of Pleasanton with a Bond measure. Money we donate to PPIE should go directly and exclusively to classrooms. If PPIE leaders cannot help themselves from taking money that should go to only the classroom they should identify and announce in advance fund raising activities that will go to causes that do not go to direct classroom benefit.