San Ramon Valley teachers voting on strike authorization

Original post made on Feb 28, 2019

Labor negotiators for the San Ramon Valley teachers union are in the process of preparing for their response should bargaining talks with school district management break down, calling a vote requesting members to authorize the executive board to initiate a strike should negotiations fail.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, February 27, 2019, 5:29 PM

7 people like this
Posted by Not Again
a resident of Las Positas
on Feb 28, 2019 at 8:10 am

Teachers going on strike so often these days. Ideally, I would like a bigger pay increase and work shorter hours too. But in the real world, there's only so much money in the budget. In the private sector, if people believe they are being under-paid, they go look for a job somewhere else, or even change profession. Therefore, let's be reasonable and not use our kids as pawns for demanding more pay when the budget is limited.

6 people like this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 28, 2019 at 8:36 am

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

We need to call this what it is - domestic terrorism. This has no way any "what's best for the kids" element to it.

Strike in the summer if you want. Every teacher I speak to tells me they work year round, the 9 months of employment is not what they actually work to justify the $120k salary. Fair enough, strike in the summer then.

6 people like this
Posted by DKHSK
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Feb 28, 2019 at 8:47 am

DKHSK is a registered user.

Public sector unions should not exist. They are counter-productive to the taxpayer.

Why? Because union dues go to fund DEMOCRAT coffers, which in turn negotiate to take MORE taxes from the taxpayer.

So basically, we fund the taking of more taxes from ourselves every time the unions want their members to get increased pay.

Public sector unions should be banned.

3 people like this
Posted by DKHSK
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Feb 28, 2019 at 8:51 am

DKHSK is a registered user.

And don't even get me started on the hours teacher work IN-CLASS and IN-FRONT of students.

In Pleasanton, on average they work 4.41 hours in from of their students at the HS level.

You do the math.

Like this comment
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 28, 2019 at 9:03 am

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

DKHSK,
I don't agree with your specific reasoning for why unions don't exist, I agree with the issue you're pointing out, but I don't think that is a result of a unions existence as much as its poor enforcement of existing campaign laws.

Like this comment
Posted by Robert Adam
on Feb 28, 2019 at 9:14 am

Robert Adam is a registered user.

[Removed because it was a conversation with another poster and did not further the discussion]

9 people like this
Posted by Robert Adam
on Feb 28, 2019 at 9:38 am

Robert Adam is a registered user.

Teachers these days help students by email all the way into the evening, as late as 10 p.m. in same cases. They're almost never completely off the clock, even on the weekends. [removed]

4 people like this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 28, 2019 at 10:43 am

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

Robert,
[removed]

I'd love to see your data on the anecdotal situations you've presented in support of a structural increase to 100% of the teaching base. The article, if you read it, would change 100% of the teacher's salaries regardless of whether they do or don't support regular 10pm hours and weekend hours as you've implied is indicative of 100% of the teaching population this article discusses.

If you're advocating that 100% of teachers are available on weekends and up to 10pm on weeknights for teaching and parent conference support as a result of this salary structure change, I'm all for it, and would even suggest its not enough compensation. Would save me a lot of time and missed work trying to make a parent/teacher conference that is only slotted between 8am-3pm on a weekday and where students aren't in classs learning, or having "on-demand support at 8pm when my kids are struggling to duplicate a lesson method against their homework assignment and I have to aid in that learning.

In no way am I saying parents shouldn't be involved in and support learning at home, thats not the point. The point is, you're pointing to a minority case example (that should be rewarded I might add, but unfortunately a union environment will never support that compensation structure for those that choose to go above and beyond) in support of a 100% population base increase with zero contractual obligation to support those situations you've identified as justification for the increase.

.......and in all honesty, I should say, if the school district can find the budget to do this without increasing taxes or shorting their pension funding obligations or shorting our students of classroom infrastructure, etc. go for it. If they can find ways to optimize current budget allocation and pay for this, they deserve to be able to do it. But don't come to me with a parcel tax, don't come to me with a PPIE ransom request (I mean donation), don't come to me with any sort of financial ask. Donation of time - ok, yes, you should require (I'd even support parent mandated time in classrooom/activity/etc support).

Like this comment
Posted by Robert Adam
on Feb 28, 2019 at 10:54 am

Robert Adam is a registered user.

2 people like this
Posted by DKHSK
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Feb 28, 2019 at 12:17 pm

DKHSK is a registered user.

Pleasanton Parent,

I didn't say "unions", I said "'public sector' unions".

There is a huge difference and I stand by my posts.

Dan

Like this comment
Posted by DKHSK
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Feb 28, 2019 at 12:19 pm

DKHSK is a registered user.

"'Some' Teachers these days help students by email all the way into the evening, as late as 10 p.m."

FIFY.

Posted by Name hidden

on Feb 28, 2019 at 1:02 pm

Due to repeated violations of our Terms of Use, comments from this poster are automatically removed. Why?

Like this comment
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 28, 2019 at 5:09 pm

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

DKHSK,
I understand the differentiation you're making. I get it. In California that's clearly true, I can't say I know its true in primarily Republican states; I just don't know the campaign contributions of unions in those other states - are they still supporting Democratic candidates only or do there contributions support Republican candidates in those states.

3 people like this
Posted by DKHSK
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Mar 1, 2019 at 9:05 am

DKHSK is a registered user.

Pleasanton Parent:

Nationally, they give OVERWHELMINGLY to Democrats: Web Link

Not even a close.

It's a scam that has gone on too long.

Dan

8 people like this
Posted by Grumpy
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Mar 1, 2019 at 11:51 am

Grumpy is a registered user.

I don't really want to wade into this, because I don't live in San Ramon.

But to those who are saying that the union should strike during the summer, since you know that the purpose of a strike is to disrupt the employer (just as the purpose of a lockout is to disrupt the employees), why say "they should strike in the summer" when you really mean that they shouldn't be allowed to strike at all?

Like this comment
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Mar 1, 2019 at 8:21 pm

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

DKHSK youre right, that is structurally broken

5 people like this
Posted by DKHSK
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Mar 2, 2019 at 9:05 am

DKHSK is a registered user.

I find it interesting when teachers say "its for the children", when striking does the exact opposite.

All public sector unions should be banned, or at the very least, be banned from striking as it would impose undo harm on the citizens THEY SERVE.

4.41 hours per day and they're just not satisfied.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox.

"You Gotta Have Balls [to do counseling] . . .
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 1,759 views

Vic puts Vic's All-Star Kitchen on the market

Nominations due by Sept. 16

Pleasanton Weekly and DanvilleSanRamon.com are once again putting out a call for nominations and sponsorships for the annual Tri-Valley Heroes awards - our salute to the community members dedicated to bettering the Tri-Valley and the lives of its residents.

Nomination form