Staying Healthy: Local teen publishes book on chronic fatigue syndrome

Original post made on Jan 28, 2019

When Vidhima Shetty was brainstorming story ideas with the staff of the California High School newspaper a few years ago, she thought about a neighbor who had graduated from Cal High in 2012.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, January 28, 2019, 2:45 PM

2 people like this
Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jan 28, 2019 at 5:55 pm

When you write a book and before publishing it, have it edited twice by two different editors. Then publish it.

4 people like this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jan 28, 2019 at 11:58 pm

Im sure this is a real condition, but like many real conditions im sure its over diagnosed (ie if the treatment is to transfer from Stanford to Berkeley - its more self inflicted than experienced)

10 people like this
Posted by ME Caregiver
a resident of another community
on Jan 29, 2019 at 8:37 am

Regarding Pleasant Parent's comment: Myalgic Encephalomyelitis IS a very real and extremely debilitating condition affecting the immune system, neurological system, endocrine system and energy metabolism system, leaving the severely affected bedbound/housebound for years/decades, and in most cases without proper diagnosis and treatment from GPs. ME is not widely taught in med schools, so this is in no way an over-diagnosed disease!

6 people like this
Posted by ME Caregiver
a resident of another community
on Jan 29, 2019 at 8:42 am

And one more thing Pleasanton Parent: There is overwhelming evidence to debunk your theory that ME is a multi-system physiological disease that is not "self-inflicted." Please do your research before spreading falsehoods and engaging in patient blaming.

4 people like this
Posted by ME Caregiver
a resident of another community
on Jan 29, 2019 at 8:47 am

Correction: My statement should have read that ME is a multi-system physiological disease that is not "self-inflicted."

4 people like this
Posted by Todd
a resident of another community
on Jan 30, 2019 at 10:59 am

Just want to thank ME Caregiver for their comments. As a caregiver for an ME/CFS Patient I know how real this disease is.

4 people like this
Posted by I have ME
a resident of Livermore
on Jan 30, 2019 at 11:01 pm

Kudos to Ms. Shetty on her book and many thanks for helping spread awareness of this misunderstood, devastating disease. Had I known more about ME/CFS when I first became ill I would have made different life decisions (moving in with family when I could no longer work for example) instead of living on my savings thinking that I'd soon be working again. Six years later I'm still sick plus destitute. Very few people achieve remission; it might be a different if the NIH wouldve funded research appropriately. But instead they spend more money to study male pattern baldness.

Like this comment
Posted by Living with Me
a resident of another community
on Feb 2, 2019 at 1:43 am

Living with ME is a daily challenge. For 7 year since my symptoms began, I have lived with progressive symptoms that have rendered me homebound. I was a very active, accomplished professional who loved life. I still love life but had to retire, stop all athletics and now live a very circumscribed life. This has been hard enough to deal with at 64; for an 18 year old it is an even crueler reality. For the parent who wrote in, I hope others show you more compassion when something happens to your family member than you have here. Your comments are insensitive at best. Kudos to Ms Shetty for shedding light on ME AND donating proceeds to Open Medicine Foundation.
With hope and resolve to help shed light on ME.