Inconsiderate Neighbors

Original post made by DG, Mission Park, on Oct 7, 2018

Anyone else out there that has rude inconsiderate neighbors that watch TV in their backyard? Unfortunately I do!! Our backyard patios are very close and built next to each other. Warriors and Football all year round, clapping, yelling, etc. all day, all evening. I have no problem rooting for your team, but really?... 2 College age boys that should be in College living at home, rude, inconsiderate, not only can we NOT sit in our backyard, but We have to close all the windows too, parents are oblivious. We miss our previous neighbors!!!

17 people like this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 7, 2018 at 9:45 pm

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

....but high density close quarter housing builds better communities.

20 people like this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 7, 2018 at 9:54 pm

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

Social commentary aside, have you tried talking to them about it? We live in a time where we fail to talk to people directly and give them a chance to change.

11 people like this
Posted by RC
a resident of Mission Park
on Oct 8, 2018 at 5:20 am

RC is a registered user.

Yes there has been communication, again no common courtesy, aside from them, we have the best neighbors and we all respect each others space. Enjoying your space is one thing, but 4 football games on an outdoor TV is just plain ignorant.

23 people like this
Posted by My opinion
on Oct 8, 2018 at 1:01 pm

My opinion is a registered user.

I had neighbors like that once. I had to go to bed early enough to be up at 3 AM to go to work and they allowed their kids to scream in the pool every night. Talking to them did not help. So I called them at 3 AM when I woke up for work and asked if they knew that their screaming kids kept me awake. Called them again at 3:30 to ask if they planned to let the kids scream again that night. One final call as I left for work and said that I would really appreciate a little consideration so that I did not need to make three phone calls every morning. They got the point. Or maybe it was when I said that I would play George Carlin's 7 things you can never say on TV loudly every night. Their girls were pre-teens and they were horrified that they would have to hear those words. Fair is fair.

4 people like this
Posted by RC
a resident of Mission Park
on Oct 8, 2018 at 4:44 pm

RC is a registered user.

Thank YOU 'My Opinion'.... lol best ever! I should do that since I get up at 4am for work...

4 people like this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 8, 2018 at 8:46 pm

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

I can promise you that won’t end in an amicable relationship. I’d suggest talking to them one more time before employing that tactic. I think you can say, how would you feel if..,

Be careful though inconsiderate neighbors being loud within daytime hours may not be illegal where as harassing them at 4am is. Don’t become the illegal party.

4 people like this
Posted by My opinion
on Oct 8, 2018 at 9:44 pm

My opinion is a registered user.

@PP -- harassing would be making an anonymous phone call. Calling and identifying yourself, simply wanting to ask a question at a time that you happen to normally be awake, is not.

As for it not ending up in an amicable relationship, is it now? Not at all. They are thoughtless pigs and nothing is likely to change that.

13 people like this
Posted by Barry
a resident of Alisal Elementary School
on Oct 10, 2018 at 11:27 pm

Barry is a registered user.

Its a sign of the times. People only care about themselves. You have a 50 percent chance that they will be more considerate if you talk to them, But also 50 percent of getting serious attitude. If they were considerate to begin with you wouldnt have the problem. Its the same as those kind of oblivious neighbors who pave a sports court in their rear yard snd then play all day long next to your home. Or people who put portable basketball hoops in the street and ultimately take up all the guest parking when they dont park in their 3 or 4 car garages because they turned it into a bonus room. Yeah, Im negative but also a multi generational Calif and Pleasanton resident. We have seen plenty of changes and overall are pretty disappointed with rudeness and lack of basic politeness.

8 people like this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 11, 2018 at 12:01 am

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

Kids playing outside?! Nooo! Get back inside and play fortnite like respectful neighbors.

9 people like this
Posted by Barry
a resident of Alisal Elementary School
on Oct 11, 2018 at 8:33 am

Barry is a registered user.

Pls Parent, obviously you never had bouncing balls ALL day along starting at 7am before school and up to 9pm for the adults approximately 10 feet from your bedroom or rear yard. Im talking aboutt the extreme cases of inconsideration and dont object to kids playing outside. By the way, what do we have neighborhood parks and big sports parks for? Some people are too lazy to go to our public parks and dont care about neighbors right to quiet because its all about them. My particular favorite is trampolines or two-level play structures people install in their rear yards above the fence height further from their own homes than their neighbors. This is not Mayberry anymore and with smaller lots, people need to be more considerate.

5 people like this
Posted by Happycamper
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Oct 11, 2018 at 10:47 am

Happycamper is a registered user.

Our family has been experiencing loud music on occasion from neighbors nearby and even woke up at 4am from the older college aged kiddo home alone partying while the parents are away for the weekend. Recently, the music was so offensive that I finally talked to the parent. We never received an apology for their behavior which is what bothers us the most. I am surprised at how many people have no clue that their neighbors may want to enjoy their back yard in peace or with their own music (at a minimal volume). My experience is it is best to call the police for disturbing the peace if the families are not approachable or really do not care - it works.

4 people like this
Posted by My opinion
on Oct 11, 2018 at 1:10 pm

My opinion is a registered user.

"My experience is it is best to call the police for disturbing the peace"

Agree completely. I had neighbors who took their howling dog from the basement, where I could not really hear it, and let it stay all night, every night, in an illegal rental over their illegal two car garage, right outside my bedroom window. We tried talking to them and had the door literally slammed in our faces. Then they damaged our cars and house to get even for us even asking that the dog be kept quiet or moved.

Hmmm, what to do, what to do. Got the fire inspector and building inspector involved about the illegal structure. They were required to tear it down which then gave the howling dog nowhere to sleep other than back in the basement. And the animal control guy wrote a total of 4 citations for barking, next one would have required them to go before a judge to have the dog removed.

I am no longer a fan of the "let's sing kumbaya and try to work it out" school of thought. PPD is my go to for things like that.

4 people like this
Posted by Barry
a resident of Alisal Elementary School
on Oct 11, 2018 at 4:14 pm

Barry is a registered user.

Well dont even get me going about the Indian music festivals at the fairgrounds which is by far louder than the monster trucks at the Alameda County Fair. Yeh, its only once or twice a year and people will say Im predjudice which is BS. I say sure party away and have fun but OMG, its deafening. Its been a real problem for years and the event organizers have been asked to lower the volume many many times. Its just plain another example of a total lack of consideration and respect.

Like this comment
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 11, 2018 at 6:31 pm

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

Im not saying we shouldn't utilize police or other resources- i have after multiple attempts of failed resolution in the past. My point is that shouldn't be the first call for any of the issues being brought up here.

We need to be considerate neighbors first, agreed. We need to not tolerate poor behavior. But we must also feel responsible for trying to have face to face or at least direct discussion and resolution before going to the police or social shaming to solve our issues.

To post your comment, please login or register at the top of the page. This topic is only for those who have signed up to participate by providing their email address and establishing a screen name.

Couples: Child Loss, "No U-Turn at Mercy Street"
By Chandrama Anderson | 2 comments | 1,847 views

Pleasanton's home-grown "unicorn"

Around Pleasanton: Holiday Fund helps Cultural Arts Council help others
By Jeb Bing | 4 comments | 477 views

Can You Afford Your ‘Dream School’?
By Elizabeth LaScala | 2 comments | 309 views