PDA discontinues 1st Wednesdays

Original post made on Nov 14, 2017

This summer marked the last year for 1st Wednesday Street Parties, with the Pleasanton Downtown Association announcing Monday the annual event series will be discontinued after 20 years.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, November 13, 2017, 4:16 PM

9 people like this
Posted by K
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Nov 14, 2017 at 11:16 am

Really sorry to see this go. Had hoped that more vendors would be at these events...I think low attendance could be due to a couple of things. 1) we can only stop at so many massage and insurance booths and 2) it became an excuse for way to young people to come and get drunk. Sad.

2 people like this
Posted by no name chosen
on Nov 14, 2017 at 11:32 am

no name chosen is a registered user.

@K, how many purchases did you make from the vendors who came? None? They pay good money to be there just to have people stop by and purchase nothing on their way to getting drunk. A stupid event that has morphed into a drunkfest, well past time for it to go.

3 people like this
Posted by K
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Nov 14, 2017 at 4:45 pm

@No Name...um are you picking a fight hahahahha! Not in the mood. Purchased plenty in the past 25 years, thanks.

4 people like this
Posted by Claudette McDermott
a resident of Del Prado
on Nov 15, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Claudette McDermott is a registered user.

Sad to see it go. I enjoyed it (and did buy things when it wasn't so service oriented) but I have to say, it was obvious that the First Weds became an entertainment opportunity rather than a shopping event. I rarely saw anyone buying anything (services aren't that interesting).

These days it's hard to make enough to cover your costs, to make it worth while for Crafters and Artists. If for some reason you can create a "Commission Based" event, you'd get some amazing Local Artisians ~ There is a wealth of Talent here in Pleasanton, it would be amazing to see it shine.

1 person likes this
Posted by Claudette McDermott
a resident of Del Prado
on Nov 15, 2017 at 12:43 pm

Claudette McDermott is a registered user.

Keep me in mind PDA, if you'd like help in creating a "Pleasanton's Best" Artisians & Crafters event, I've suggesting above, commission based. Wishing us all Happy Holidays and an Amazing and prosperous New Year 2018 ~

2 people like this
Posted by Map
a resident of Del Prado
on Nov 15, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Wondering if this event will turn up at the fairgrounds where they can charge for parking and admission, kind of like years ago when they allowed all the hot rods to park downtown for a nice car show then moved them to the fairgrounds, nearby cities don’t seem to have a problem with these types of events but our PDA is always looking for ways to move off of main st and to the fairgrounds. Just curious what’s the real reason, I went to all these events always spent money, and it was always crowded.

2 people like this
Posted by JeriAnn
a resident of Mohr Park
on Nov 17, 2017 at 11:35 pm

PDA,

Please find a home for the annual Guide Dogs for the Blind Pooch Parade fundraiser! My family has participated in this event for many many years and look forward to it every 1st Wednesday in August. When I saw this news, this was the first thing I thought about that was impacted. I am pretty sure Guide Dogs for the Blind said this was their number 1 fundraising event for them. Please work with them to keep this wonderful family friendly unique Pleasanton event going. It for a great cause and so much fun.

I would be willing to volunteer my time to help in order to work towards a solution to keep this event going. It is that important to me to keep it. Just let me know what I can do.

Best regards,

JeriAnn

1 person likes this
Posted by Jack
on Nov 20, 2017 at 10:58 pm

They should bring back The Good Times Parade!