County: Property tax bills in the mail

Original post made on Oct 12, 2017

Pleasanton residents are among the property owners throughout Alameda County starting to receive their property tax bills for the 2017-18 fiscal year.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 12:48 PM

20 people like this
Posted by Steve
a resident of Stoneridge
on Oct 12, 2017 at 10:21 am

I noticed that I am now "donating" over $500 per year to the bond measure. I say "donating" because it can't be a tax increase, right? Bond measures are always described as doing wonderful things "without raising taxes". So that increase of over $500 must be a donation.

I've already reduced my school registration donations in kind. Putting all of my school donations in my property tax bill has certainly made it more convenient.

4 people like this
Posted by Ndna Jnz
a resident of Mohr Park
on Oct 12, 2017 at 10:38 am

Wow, is PW really at a loss for news stories? How is the mailing of county tax bills newsworthy? I've lived in Pleasanton for 28 years and the tax bill mailings - as best I can remember - are still the same. Further, everything explained in this story is included in writing on the actual tax bill everyone receives in the mail. So, what exactly is so important that we need a story about this in the PW?

14 people like this
Posted by Sam
a resident of Oak Hill
on Oct 12, 2017 at 11:39 am

@Steve

Yeah, I don't like getting hit with lots of school donation requests, either. And, yeah, the bond measure is another hit. But I look at it all in perspective: The reason that our Pleasanton property values are continuing to soar is largely because of the reputation of our schools. So I look upon the donations as an "investment" in my house property value, an investment which has paid more than paid for itself very handsomely so far and hopefully will continue to do so.

19 people like this
Posted by Steve
a resident of Stoneridge
on Oct 12, 2017 at 4:59 pm

Sam,

Our property values are not soaring because we are forced to donate higher and higher amounts to our schools due to the lack of stewardship in Sacramento. They are soaring because our area in general is better than alternatives in California, and higher paying jobs in this area are quite attractive.

If our schools are so wonderful, why do we need so many tutors and after school programs at Kumon/Sylvan for our students?

5 people like this
Posted by Sam
a resident of Oak Hill
on Oct 12, 2017 at 5:18 pm

@Steve :"They are soaring because our area in general is better than alternatives in California..."

And, yes, by writing "our area in general is better" you mean that our schools are better, right? Or do you think that people are in bidding wars for Pleasanton houses because of something else? Do you think that people would be in bidding wars for Pleasanton houses if our schools were average in rating?

As for tutors and after-school programs at Kumon and the like, that's probably due to a combination of the facts that (1) some kids just need additional help and (2) that a lot of Pleasanton parents place such a high premium on academic achievement that they want their kids to go the extra mile, or haven't you noticed?

17 people like this
Posted by Steve
a resident of Stoneridge
on Oct 12, 2017 at 6:00 pm

Sam,

By "in general", I do include education because in comparison to Fremont, Oakland, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, and many other cities in the Bay Area, our schools are at least good. It's not an absolute necessity to put our kids in private schools.

However, I think the bigger draw is the lack of crime, and a relatively normal, conservative, small town atmosphere. If you take those things away, our so-called "excellent" education is not a big draw.

The tutors are required because we don't have great teachers. We have some stand outs, but the rest are mediocre. So we either tutor our kids ourselves, if we're able to in the limited hours we have in the evenings, or we hire them.

Many of my kid's teachers have been good, but I am constantly filling in the gaps. So I describe them as adequate, and thankfully I'm able explain the areas where their teachers fall short.

So I get frustrated when after we said no to the parcel tax, the schools were able to still get it passed by calling it a bond measure. Not only that, but it's DOUBLE what it would have been. They said that it was needed for vital repairs, but the first use is for computer purchases for the teachers.

When are they planning to rebuild Lydiksen? It was the first thing on the list. I'm sure they'll have some trouble finding a place for all of the students since they haven't built the additional school that was recommended decades ago. But at least the teachers have new computers, and their pensions will be fully funded (don't say the bond can't be used for that...it will).

4 people like this
Posted by Lin
on Oct 15, 2017 at 8:08 am

I have to agree with Steve that most teachers are teaching because they get the summer off as well as ALL holidays. Their hearts are not in teaching it's all the benefits that are offered. So sad