An American classic: Pleasanton restaurateur wins James Beard Award

Original post made on Jun 8, 2017

Some have called him "The General." Others, "The King of Tacos." But now, Pleasanton resident Miguel Jara has a new moniker -- James Beard Award winner.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, June 8, 2017, 3:36 PM

Posted by Let'sTacoBoutIt
a resident of Dublin
on Jun 8, 2017 at 5:26 pm

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Build one here. OMG, the Tr-Valley desperately needs it!

Posted by Map
a resident of Del Prado
on Jun 8, 2017 at 9:49 pm

2nd the request for a restaurant here in town, not a decent taco or burrito can be found anywhere near by.

Posted by Ptowner
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Jun 9, 2017 at 9:10 am

Yes! Build in the Tri-Valley, please!

Posted by Ruth Cardoso
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Jun 9, 2017 at 9:33 am

Wow, I lived in the City for 20 years and 3 of them in the Mission so I know La Taqueria all too well! What a fantastic accolade for Mr. Jara, and well deserved, congratulations!! I remember standing in line every time I went- the food really is delicious- a taco is not a taco everywhere and this place is fantastic. Lots of great memories from those days in the Mission, Carnaval, Dolores Park, Flamenco lessons, lots of friends celebrating the diversity of the neighborhood. Too bad there is so much crime out that way now- but it doesn't stop us from getting out there to EAT in the amazing variety of ethic restaurants the Mission has to offer.

Posted by wondering
a resident of Stoneridge
on Jun 9, 2017 at 9:55 am

Miguel:

Please help your Son's (or Grandson's) to open a Pleasanton restaurant. Please !!!

Posted by jeff
on Jun 9, 2017 at 11:04 am

I work in the financial district and make a weekly trip to Mission La Taqueria. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE open a Pleasanton restaurant!!!

Posted by Jerry
a resident of another community
on Jun 9, 2017 at 3:21 pm

Oh my goodness we have so many Mexican restaurants in the Tri-Valley area but hardly any good ones. Would love the have your food in town. How about taking over Alberto's, please...!!!

Posted by Arthur Javier
a resident of another community
on Jun 9, 2017 at 11:46 pm

I met Miguel in 1962 in SannFrancisco while he worked for his Dad..I have remained friends with him and his family until today. I get to go to La Taqueria when I get a chance to get my portion of his 'burrito'... can't get any better.. it us the best I have been having it since he opened 'La Taqueria' 44 years ago.
My congratulations to Miguel and his family for providing the world with their gastronomical creations...only at 'La Taqueria' at 25th St. & Mission Street in S.F...

Posted by Map
a resident of Del Prado
on Jun 10, 2017 at 11:34 am

Liking the taking over of Alberto's-- worst service ever with basic, not very well prepared Mexican food, overpriced with watered down drinks, but best outdoor patio and location.

Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jun 10, 2017 at 6:01 pm

Misleading heading, should read Pleasanton resident, not Pleasanton restauranter.

Couldn't pay me to go to San Francisco.

Blue Agave gets my money

Posted by Sam
a resident of Oak Hill
on Jun 10, 2017 at 6:18 pm

@Pleasanton Parent

Hope that you're joking about going to Blue Agave. Look it up on Yelp. 3 stars out of 5, which is borderline mediocre. Many comments about the food of "nothing special" or "average", which is pretty consistent with my experience the one and only time I went there years ago.

Don't get out often to La Taqueria in SF but, yes, it is a very good Mexican food place.

Posted by Sam
a resident of Oak Hill
on Jun 10, 2017 at 6:23 pm

@Map

Haven't been to Alberto's. I like to take a glance at Yelp before I try out a new place. Well, I took a look at Alberto's rating on Yelp and..........

'Nuff said.

Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jun 11, 2017 at 8:46 am

Sam,
My experience at blue agave has always been good. If you're looking for burritos and tacos and blended margaritas its not the place to go.

If you want something with different flavors and Mexican region influences i think its a great local place to go - combined with the outside space in the summer and its one of my "go tos".

For burritos and tacos I go to the hallway place between the Japanese place and Indian grocery by shell on santa rita and 580.

Posted by Nosy Neighbors
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Jun 12, 2017 at 10:53 am

There is a definite need for a proper taqueria somewhere in the Tri Valley! Other than Los Caporales or maybe Fiesta Taco the there are no Mission style or Mexico City style taquerias to be found. I see a huge potential, come on Jara, help us out!

Posted by ValleyJoe
a resident of another community
on Jun 20, 2017 at 9:46 pm

I make a regular trek from Vallejo to La Taq. Best carne asada burrito to be had. Thank you and congrats on the write up.