Do We Really Need Another Starbucks?

Original post made by Karen, Another Pleasanton neighborhood, on Oct 20, 2015

We received one of those yellow cards in the mail letting us know about a potential drive-through Starbucks in the Rose Pavillion Shopping Center. I can think of five Starbucks locations in the small part of town that I frequent, including one inside Safeway, and one right outside Safeway on Santa Rita.

I would love to see Pleasanton look at some diversity in the businesses that are being approved and for the city to consider existing businesses. There is a small drive through coffee business near the Shell station on Santa Rita, near 580. I wonder how long this will be able to stay in business with a Starbucks basically right across the street?

Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 20, 2015 at 7:37 pm

I support it. Probably won't use it given that parking lot nightmare.

Regarding the drive through coffee place, it's been at least 2 different businesses without a Starbucks competing. Starbucks won't be the main reason it doesn't succeed

Posted by Ed
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 21, 2015 at 6:44 am

If I were a business owner in Rose Pavillion I'd welcome a Starbucks since it would attract more potential customers to my store.
As far as diversity goes, Rose Pavillion has many Asian themed businesses now, which is not a bad thing, but putting in a Starbucks vs another pho restaurant or bubble tea shop would make sense.

Posted by coffee rations
a resident of Amador Estates
on Oct 21, 2015 at 7:11 am

Karen,
You want GOVERNMENT to dictate what our choices should be? Why not let the market decide? Why do you have such little faith in the free enterprise system which in the past has made America great, despite the efforts of democrat socialists to destroy our free enterprise system.

You must be a big-government socialist democrat who prefers Central Planning for its subjects because, after all, the Central Planners know what is best for us. Regarding Starbucks, how about Government coffee? I hear it is tasty...but we subjects are only allowed a rationing of one-half cup per day for social and economic justice reasons.

Let the market decide.

Posted by Ed
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 21, 2015 at 7:29 am

Maybe if the drive-through coffee place by the Shell station ends up closing, the employees could go across to Starbucks and get hired.
Folks in this town sure love their coffee, that's for sure.

Posted by Mitch
a resident of another community
on Oct 21, 2015 at 8:56 am

coffeerations,

Got no problem with letting the free market decide, but while we are at it, what about a prop 215 approved medical cannabis clinic? How about a card room? I'm sure the free market would support both, but something tells me the free market only applies when the Walmarts, Chases, CVSs, and Starbucks come knocking.

Posted by resident
on Oct 21, 2015 at 9:16 am

Mitch, you couldn't have said it better!!!

Hear, hear!

Posted by Gene Debs
on Oct 21, 2015 at 10:51 am

Garsh -- we're ALL a buncha socialists, eh?

Posted by Frankie
a resident of Country Fair
on Oct 22, 2015 at 10:04 am

Starbucks builds a better mouse trap. In other words, People want them or they would not open stores. Besides, Starbucks gives their employees health insurance and profit sharing which is more than a lot of small businesses. the original poster should also ask why do we need another Chipolte, Baja Fresh, In n Out Burger. and any other successful business.

Posted by No Chains for Me
a resident of Amador Estates
on Oct 23, 2015 at 4:37 pm

There is a real double standard from people defending these chains, like Mitch rightly said. They hide behind the "no government interference" to justify bringing these boring, repetitive, no personality franchises to town. But, when a not so desirable type of business, like the ones pointed by Mitch, are brought up, silence appears in the conversation, because these people do not want to admit that if government didn't interfere, we would have card rooms, more lounges, and even (Oh, the HORROR!) a Marijuana Dispensary in town. Because there would definitely be a market for it.

Double standards, double standards...

Posted by FrequentWalkerMiles
on Oct 23, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Sounds like the commuters from San Joaquin and livermore are the primary target of this venture being next to 580.

Sounds like a good place for PPD to set up shop and get some easy tickets written.

Posted by ????
on Oct 23, 2015 at 11:17 pm

In the Macy's furniture & Enterprise car rental Rosewood?? OR the new CVS, AutoZone, Fitness 19, $$Tree Rosewood??

Posted by ????
on Oct 23, 2015 at 11:37 pm

The 2 @ Santa Rita/Safeway are a long drive from Rose centers. The family coffee across @ Trader Joes is probably cheaper than Starbucks, so would get my business...IF I drank coffee at all. I don't understand the very expensive and very fattening obsession.
I also do not get the narrow-minded Chipotle bigots. I'm so thrilled we now have one just over the ramp...just 1 mile for me. So the other Dublin chains get my shopping dollars. Met family there Wed night as they called from 580...so handy for all..that is such a great, handy corner now. In minutes I can & do make quick stops at Fitness 19, $$Tree, Kohl's, WalMart, Whole Foods, Nord Rack, & Chipolte, all minutes from my driveway...I'm in heaven.

Posted by PPleasantonian
a resident of Castlewood
on Oct 25, 2015 at 3:14 pm

I need another franchise in town like I need a nail stuck in my eye.

Posted by Frankie
a resident of Country Fair
on Oct 26, 2015 at 12:54 am

In my opinion, the entire Rose Pavillon should be razed. It is a glorified but outdated strip mall with a lot of vacancies. Given its primo location at a gateway into Pleasanton, it sure would be nice to have an upscale shopping area with plazas. Look at Pleasant Hill downtown! But sadly, I doubt it makes financial sense for the property owner to do that. Maybe Trader Joes would relocate to Fresh n Easy so they would have better parking. Now that I think of it, that strip mall ought to be razed too! Tacky, tacky and tacky.

oh, back to Starbucks. No problem with me. That kiosk next to the Shell Station is awful.

Posted by Juan Valdez
a resident of Beratlis Place
on Oct 26, 2015 at 8:32 am

Since our dear civic leaders have seen it to be in the best interests of the community to build all these lovely new houses for 1000's of new families it's only rational to assume that they will be building and improving the roads and infrastructure, building new schools and improving the existing ones and taking other measures to account for increased burden on the grid.

Oh, they're just building new restaurants, shopping and a Starbucks? Nevermind.

Posted by Downtowner
on Oct 26, 2015 at 10:58 am

Downtowner is a registered user.

Another Starbucks would be a great addition to Rosewood, which is by no means overcrowded. It's not one I would probably go to often since it is on the other side of town, but the new Starbucks in Pastime Plaza on Main St. was an instant success and I am in there almost every day (and so are many Pleasantonians - often a long line for coffee).

As for a cannabis dispensary, I think Pleasanton really should have one or more. I have a friend who is fighting ovarian cancer and medical marijuana is one of the things that is providing her great relief. Unfortunately she needs to go to Oakland for cannabis (or have the medication brought to her) which is very inconvenient. A clean, modern dispensary that is not near schools or homes would be a welcome addition.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Oct 26, 2015 at 11:30 am

I only drink tea. I've never liked the taste of coffee?

Posted by Damon
a resident of Foothill Knolls
on Oct 26, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Everyone has seen this commentary by Craig Ferguson of the Late, Late Show on Starbucks and Pleasanton, right?

Craig Ferguson, Pleasanton commentary: Web Link (5:05)

Sadly, his comment about no Starbucks on Main Street is no longer true.

Posted by Ed
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 26, 2015 at 12:49 pm

On Friday I ate at that new restaurant next to Starbucks on Main. First time there since it opened. While I waited for my table I sat on the concrete benches facing the sidewalk and really enjoyed my time there. It's nice to have a new place to sit outside that isn't part of a restaurant.
I watched as a young family sat down to take a selfie with their toddler, I saw folks going by in Halloween costumes, etc.

Posted by Spudly
a resident of Laguna Oaks
on Oct 26, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Mitch for Mayor.

Enuf said.

Posted by Steven
a resident of Stoneridge
on Oct 26, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Steven is a registered user.

It's so funny to hear the lefties complain about a reasonable business being opened in a reasonable location. I don't think there are any laws preventing any complainer from opening their own business in the same location or nearby. But, the lefties just want to complain about "chain" restaurants, and try to use governmental force to prevent "another chain" from opening.

Frankly, I'd welcome something new from one of those lefties, but I know I shouldn't get my hopes up. It sounds like all they'd like to open are pot shops, card rooms, "lounges" (are those 1960's nightclubs?), and massage parlors. I haven't heard one alternative that was beat out by the Starbucks. Are there bunches of retailers trying to get into Rose Pavilion?

Next we'll hear the lamenting over the gentrification of the Santa Rita/580 area...

Posted by Austin
a resident of Canyon Creek
on Oct 27, 2015 at 9:40 am

Do We Really Need Another Starbucks?

We don't need 1, much less all the ones spreading around town like cancer!

Posted by Citizen
on Oct 27, 2015 at 11:52 am

The Santa Rita/580 intersection is a quagmire now during commute time. The sandwich shop will lose business if the congestion moves into the Rosewood parking lot. Starbutts will do a great business selling Chai tea though!! CGC

Posted by Mrs bob
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Oct 28, 2015 at 8:12 am

No thanks to pot rooms or card rooms. Are we moving forward or backwards in time? 1960's here we come! Lol.

I was so pleased when we finally got a Starbucks in Main Street. I like it.

Posted by Mrs bob
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Oct 28, 2015 at 8:12 am

I was so pleased when we finally got a Starbucks in Main Street. I like it.

Posted by Rob
on Oct 30, 2015 at 9:47 am

Well, Mrs bob, by the end of next year you may not have too much of a choice in the matter of pot rooms. You may be able to go to BudMo and get a 6 pack of reefers.

Posted by Jack
on Oct 30, 2015 at 10:57 am

Rosewood?
Is that the center that was last relevant when it had a movie theater?
In my opinion they'd be better off with 2 Starbucks rather than none!
Who gets impacted, people shopping for Mini Coopers?