Shopping carts, garbage and bad manners, oh my!

Original post made by Neighbor2Neighbor, Another Pleasanton neighborhood, on Oct 14, 2015

One of the important reasons we chose to purchase our home and raise our children in this community was the involvement of the average citizen who could be seen taking care of their properties and the community. Pleasanton has always been tidy. The occassional piece of paper blowing down the street was always picked up if it was seen. In general, we keep the community free of litter and garbage, and other unkempt appearances which is a distinction from other communities in the bay area.

I grew up in another community in the bay area also once proudly maintained, until people stopped caring. Parks declined, trash and public dumping became the norm and garbage is strewn across parking lots and gutters. While I can understand some communities lack funding for keeping things clean, it's also obvious these same communities do very little if anything to clean things up.

As our community has grown a lot in the last 15 our family has resided here, we are noticing a growing sense of lack of ownership of the community...a "that's not my job" mentality. I care about this community. I want others who visit to feel a difference when they wnter our community that we care for each other, our homes and our public areas.

I notice people unwrapping cigarettes and tossing plastic wrappers to the ground (which I have picked up as the smoker stands reading their phone), I have pulled over to load a couple of stray shopping carts blocks from the store to which they belong amd returned them only to drive past the same place and find literally 20 more.

The discourtesy, the negligence and the lack of respect by some is sorta gettig to me. The junkmail left blowing around the street. People spilling sticky coffee drinks and leaving the mess for a tired mom with a toddler to run through, spitting, using foul language, talking on the phone, not holding doors, leaving dressing rooms trashed.

I could go on for days. I'm trying to help where I can but I can only do so much alone. It feels like people really are trashing our town and I am not angry but feel saddened.

Can we please remember to put trash (including cigarettes and coffee drink cups) into the trash, leave grocery carts in the parking lot or return them (or purchase a portable cart on wheels) and for goodness sake, hold the door (gasp...even if the otjer person is more than one step behind you-gasp!). Can we clean up after ourselves and stop behaving like the rest of the world is our littler box?

Please?

Thank you!

Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 14, 2015 at 9:24 pm

Couldn't agree more.

I was at Costco and the person in front of me didn't unload a single item - it's the checkers job? Since when? Bulk items sure.

Parks are "used" but not appreciated.

Posted by resident
on Oct 14, 2015 at 11:33 pm

These things surprise you? Why? Pleasanton is the land of the entitled. How about the dog owners who allow their dogs to poop everywhere and never bother to pick it up? How about the dog owners who think we like listening to their barking dogs? Or people who bring loud and unruly kids everywhere to ruin the atmosphere for everyone around them?

Posted by Ed
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 15, 2015 at 7:32 am

Unless you want to live in the mountains alone and away from other people I don't think this is ever going to change

Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 15, 2015 at 10:48 am

I disagree, as a community we need to support respectful public correction of poor behavior. Moving further away isn't the only solution.

Posted by Bill
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Oct 15, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Two things everyone should have learned in kindergarten 1) form a single line and 2) no cutting. A lot of people using the freeway on ramps must of flunked kindergarten. Last two weeks there have been accidents on i680 northbound near the Hwy 84 interchange. Traffic was at a dead stop from Sunol to Milpitas for 2 hours while CalTrans and the highway patrol cleared the mess. I had to chuckle as people would risk life and limb trying to get on the freeway from the Washington Blvd on-ramp, only to have to wait 2 hours just like the rest of us. These people not only flunked kindergarten, but failed physics as well (time,distance,speed relationship). Many were driving Tesla's. It makes you wonder.

Posted by Ed
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 15, 2015 at 12:16 pm

Since we live here I agree that we all ought to be more respectful regarding this issue, can you elaborate on what "public correction" means?

My point earlier is that we live in a densely packed area, not like SF of course, but still there are a lot of people around. To rail against everyone who spits, swears or drops a piece of paper is going to make for a long and very angry day.

Posted by FrequentWalkerMiles
on Oct 15, 2015 at 1:54 pm

About the shopping carts being blocks away from their stores, I suspect that's usually around bus stops or apartment/townhouses complexes that are within walking distance of these stores, where people feel like they can dump the carts and no one would know which unit's occupant did it.

Unfortunately that comes with the territory with bus lines and when you allow apartment/condo/townhouse complexes into your town. I don't like it either, but these places not always, but often, attract the less, er, civil minded types.

Posted by Get the Facts
on Oct 15, 2015 at 4:34 pm

Get the Facts is a registered user.

Resident, what you did at Costco was way out of line. That being said, I wish I was there to see it!

Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 15, 2015 at 6:48 pm

Ed, yes, disapproving of a behavior and witnessing it without making an attempt to correct, call out, or discourage only shows acceptance of that bad behavior.

Pick your battles - swearing is not one of mine. Littering however I'll say something

Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 16, 2015 at 7:39 am

Michael Austin is a registered user.

You ever visit in the city?

I drove into the Muni maintenance operations center yesterday for a meeting. There are hundreds of homeless encampments all along ninth street, on Alameda Street, Bryant street. they have their tents strung out all over the place, they are cooking, eating. nearby on the side walk is dog poop (maybe human poop). Trash, shopping carts, tons of litter.

Everything is barricaded with heavy iron doors, gates, etc. I was instructed to pull up to the gate when I arrive, to call and someone will come out to open the gate for me.

While I was there, two police officers got into a scuffle a couple of blocks away with a person, the person got one of the officers gun, the other officer shot the person dead with two gun shots.

I have no complaints about living in Pleasanton.

Posted by Ed
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 16, 2015 at 7:51 am

Michael - my sentiments exactly. I grew up in Oakland and lived there for many years. Moving out to Pleasanton 20 years ago was such a relief - and still is.

Posted by deek
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Oct 16, 2015 at 7:55 am

Great post, and don't forget to add... if you are smoking a cigarette dont do it right in front of the entrance to the building. Everybody doesn't need to smell your cigarette before walking in or out.

Posted by Damon
a resident of Foothill Knolls
on Oct 16, 2015 at 8:09 am

@resident : "The list never ends. Rudeness is epidemic here. Cell phone yappers have taken their habit to extremes and we all just tolerate it. On my last trip to Costco the person in front of me was yapping away and unloading with one hand. I offered to hold her phone so that she could speed it up. I then hung up the phone and handed it back to her. Thought she was going to have a stroke right there while I laughed my a$$ off."

I wonder if you would have continued laughing if you then felt a tap on your shoulder and turned around to face her 6'5" muscular, ex-linebacker husband who just witnessed you insulting and humiliating his wife. Not sure if your story is even true, but if it is I would recommend not repeating it because sooner or later karma will catch up with you.

Posted by Billie
a resident of Mohr Park
on Oct 16, 2015 at 9:48 am

Knowing the etiquette of who should unload a grocery cart, insult under the guise of kindness, as well as public correction and criticism on the poor behavior of those who litter, will definitely go a long way to moving our community towards better manners!

Posted by Name hidden
a resident of Castlewood

on Oct 16, 2015 at 10:07 am

Due to repeated violations of our Terms of Use, comments from this poster are automatically removed. Why?

Posted by Name hidden