Water, sewer rates going up Thursday

Original post made on Oct 13, 2015

Sewer and water bills will increase across the board starting next Thursday on an average of $10.73 per bimonthly billing period for an overall rate increase of 6.7%.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, October 13, 2015, 6:28 AM

Posted by Sam
a resident of Stoneridge
on Oct 13, 2015 at 10:10 pm

How could water rates go up for water that is hard, looks and tastes crappy and stains cars so badly.
As usual, you pay high prices and you get poor quality and service. There is no limit to their greed. Hopeless and useless PLS. City Council!

Posted by Ed
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 14, 2015 at 6:45 am

I need water and I need sewer service so what can I do? They are the only game in town.

Posted by Tired of the Nanny State
a resident of Gatewood
on Oct 15, 2015 at 10:41 am

Maybe I am getting some other city's water bill. Here on Mohr Ave., my July-August bi monthly bill of 30 units came to $171.92-- way above the 40 unit cost of $120.78 cited in the article. My May-June 15 unit bill came to $123.78, close to twice the $65.62 price noted for 20 bi monthly units. What is going on here? Are others seeing the same pricing noted in these price hike articles or is it just me getting hosed?

Posted by kbenson
a resident of Bordeaux Estates
on Oct 15, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Reduce water consumption and get rate increase.

When/if water levels get back to "normal" and folks use more of it, They (water co.) will decrease rates lol

I suppose the money has to come from somewhere. (not reflected in my last 3 (non-increase) annual salary rate)

Posted by Penny watcher
a resident of Beratlis Place
on Oct 15, 2015 at 9:50 pm

To "Tired of the Nanny State" - what is reported in this article is only the CITY part of your water bill - there is another very significant part and that is a pass through of fees imposed by ZONE 7 ....and guess what??? Zone 7 is proposing to raise their fees by 36% next Wednesday - UNLESS we all get out to their Board meeting and tell them "HELL NO!!!" To make matters worse Zone 7 is exempt from Proposition 218 so not only do they not need to notify you of the pending rate increase - you have no legal way to protest

The City Council of Pleasanton has already gone on record directly with Zone 7 in protest but has been 100% rebuffed. Zone 7 is totally Stiff-arming the people who pay the bills.

The Grand Jury looked into that agency and said they are not open to the public, not transparent and spend money on projects without justification. Someone needs to do something but no one is stepping up to the plate - certainly not the Alameda County Board of Supervisors who supposedly oversee Zone 7. No way the legislature is going to get into a local issue.

I feel totally helpless - maybe it is time to start a ballot initiative to simply dissolve that agency

Posted by JayBee
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Oct 19, 2015 at 10:29 am

Since I obviously need water and sewer service, I have no control of "how" the rate structure is calculated. However, I have cut back tremendously in using city-supplied water, so why the rate increase?

Posted by Damon
a resident of Foothill Knolls
on Oct 19, 2015 at 5:18 pm

@JayBee: "However, I have cut back tremendously in using city-supplied water, so why the rate increase"

Probably because there are large fixed costs to supplying water so if everyone dramatically cuts back on water use then rates have to go up in order to keep revenues from plummeting.

Posted by Jerry
on Oct 19, 2015 at 6:55 pm

They need to lay off a few folks.