Planners OK McKay's Taphouse on Main Street

Original post made on Sep 4, 2014

The Pleasanton Planning Commission, with the support of the Pleasanton Downtown Association, has approved a bid by Barbara and Josh McKay to open a beer and wine garden with food service in a picturesque two story building on lower Main Street.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, September 4, 2014, 7:52 AM

Posted by George
a resident of Foothill High School
on Sep 4, 2014 at 8:49 am

I always thought this historical house on South Main would make an excellent restaurant location. Yea to the city for approving this new wine /beer garden restaurant. I look forward to becoming a regular patron.

Posted by Chas Bell
on Sep 4, 2014 at 9:03 am

Downtown Pleasanton finally did something right. Nice job!

Posted by Gina Woodard
on Sep 4, 2014 at 9:18 am

What a wonderful use for this space! I can't wait to walk down there and have a glass of wine with my husband!

Posted by Jen B
a resident of Del Prado
on Sep 4, 2014 at 9:43 am

This is very exciting for our downtown! The back garden at this location is awesome and this is a great way to share it with the community! Looking forward to it!

Posted by Anne
a resident of Val Vista
on Sep 4, 2014 at 9:47 am

We spent a lot of time there as our neighbors owned Serenity Stoneworks - I even had my husband's retirement party there. Love the atmosphere and looking forward to the the tap room opening.

Posted by Kalene
a resident of Valley Trails
on Sep 4, 2014 at 9:52 am

I am so very excited for Pleasanton to add this to our downtown. I have been spending a lot of time in downtown Livermore because of the variety of restaurants, wine bars, and tap bars. Finally I feel like Pleasanton is taking a foot in the right direction in adding this. I want to spend more time downtown where I grew up! Keep it up Pleasanton!

Posted by P Town Pride
on Sep 4, 2014 at 10:18 am

Great Job City Staff and Planning Commission!!!!
This is a nice step that give me hope that you serious and committed to reviving our stagnant and deteriorating Downtown.
Please keep the momentum rolling.

Posted by downtown shopper
on Sep 4, 2014 at 10:46 am

Such great news. The pubs at the other end of the street will have to start treating customers with respect if they intend to remain in business. Redcoats has never been a factor with anyone other than the low lifes.

Posted by Neighbors-R_US
a resident of Castlewood
on Sep 4, 2014 at 10:58 am

"Craig Semmelmeyer, who owns an Italian restaurant next door, expressed concern that on busy nights, the McKays' patrons might park in his restaurant's lot." Down right neighborly. How dare someone park a car there! Why that could bring in customers...Craig get a clue.

Posted by Tim
a resident of Old Towne
on Sep 4, 2014 at 12:04 pm

That is awesome news. I always thought that would a great place for outdoor dinning.

Posted by insert uber-patriot nom de plume here...
on Sep 4, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Great news for the McKay's and for the city. Looking forward to a nice place to have a beer.

The name: Craig Semmelmeyer was familiar. He's the same guy that forced Cold Stone out of business last year.

So yeah, down right neighborly.

Posted by downtown shopper
on Sep 4, 2014 at 2:05 pm

I was planning to walk to this place but now I will drive and be sure to park at Semmelmeyer's building. What a jerk. For the record the first and definitely last time I ate at his restaurant the servers were continuing to serve drinks to some VERY drunk patrons, not just at one table. Really classy place Craig. Ask any tenant who has him for a landlord and you will see true greed.

Posted by Scot
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Sep 4, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Sounds great, when's the target date?

Posted by Stacee
on Sep 4, 2014 at 4:58 pm

theres an Italian restaurant down on our south end of Main? never knew that so why start now to visit the place. I WILL visit McKays for sure.

Posted by Map
a resident of Del Prado
on Sep 5, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Great news, will be there for the grand opening!! As for mr. Crabby puss and his nearby Italian restaurant we aren't going back there, change your attitude, you've got a lot of fixing to do at that place!!

Posted by Bruce
a resident of Livermore
on Sep 8, 2014 at 10:06 am

I have always pictured that courtyard as a good place for a Hogs Breath Inn type of establishment.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Sep 10, 2014 at 4:38 pm

I sure hope that it's not another trashy hang-out for the rougher types...BUSTED!

if you catch my drift...

Posted by Expat
on Feb 28, 2015 at 12:52 pm

I'm with Mel -- sign for 'future home' is up but no date. Anyone have info on the opening date?

Posted by Laura Olson
on Mar 2, 2015 at 3:38 pm

We are hearing that McKays hopes to open in April. We cannot wait to have them as a vibrant part of our downtown!

Posted by Map
a resident of Del Prado
on Mar 3, 2015 at 7:37 am

Thanks Pleasanton planning commission for letting this one slip by you, I'm guessing the nail/hair/massage places weren't interested in this building!!! Like I said before I will be at the grand opening to support this new business, finally starting to see some changes downtown!! How about that new Starbucks downtown, Am I the only person who thinks the building "footprint" is a lot bigger than what was shown on the original drawings ??