Town Square

Post a New Topic

59% of nurses report to work at Eden hospital despite systemwide strike, Sutter says

Original post made on Dec 23, 2011

Thousands of registered nurses from nine Bay Area Sutter Health-managed hospitals went on a one-day strike yesterday at Eden Medical Center in Castro Valley and eight other Sutter-affiliated hospitals in the Bay Area.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, December 23, 2011, 7:51 AM

Comments (8)

Like this comment
Posted by steve
a resident of Parkside
on Dec 23, 2011 at 8:20 am

Dissension amongst the ranks or did they just now decide that the patients should be their focus? Wouldn't it be nice to think that this unselfish attitude would be prevalent for all nurses and not just the non-union employees?
Must be the season, but let's hope it continues......

Like this comment
Posted by Blackmail is criminal
a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 23, 2011 at 8:34 am

The 59% should be applauded for decency, choosing to not participate in blackmail threats. If steve above, is accurate about being non-union then I doubly applaud them for their intelligence too.

Like this comment
Posted by Rick
a resident of Val Vista
on Dec 23, 2011 at 8:52 am

Sounds like it is a union leadership stike without the support of their members. give the 59% credit for brains as well as caring for their patients. perhaps the remaining 41% should get into another line of work.

Like this comment
Posted by Chemist
a resident of Downtown
on Dec 23, 2011 at 11:19 am

The Nurses' Union does not care about the nurses or the patients. The union cares about using forced dues to maintain salaries, to increase power and to elect union-supporting politicians. If California were a right to work state, instead of a union-controlled economic disaster, 100% of the the nurses and 100% of the patients would be far better off.

Like this comment
Posted by Bill
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Dec 23, 2011 at 2:41 pm

The union is complaining about the health care cost to the nurses, but on the other hand these nurses are making an average $136,000 per year. Isn't this the pot calling the kettle black?

If you do not count the Filipino and Nigerian nurses, I bet this $136,000 goes way up.

The health industry is bankrupting the United States and even doctors do not give a hoot, as long as they make their zillion dollar wages.

Like this comment
Posted by not jimmy the RN
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Dec 27, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Nurses are not making 136,000 a year at these hospitals. The managements are lying. If the public knew how most Cali hospitals were staffed they would get fly out insurance for the midwest. Your average Cali hospital has very few native english speakers and most of the RN's didnt go to accredited schools because there's only one of those in the Philippines. I've worked in Ca a lot and it has hospitals staffed by 3rd worlders and they stick together. One shouldnt trust the associated press is what I'm thinking
not jimmy the RN

Like this comment
Posted by GX
a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 27, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Right ...

Union spokespersons have zero credibility from my perspective. There seems to be a constant attempt by union leadership and members to misrepresent situations and fool the public.

Remeber when they said that SB400 (the dramatic retroactive increase of public employee pensions) wasn't supposed to cost the taxpaying public any extra?

Reality turned out much different that the misrepresentations that unions were spewing back then.

Like this comment
Posted by Package pay
a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 27, 2011 at 11:19 pm

jimmy, I belive annual pay quotes from all companies and muni's are quoted as know, the 'REAL' cost to the employers, which is what REALly matters.
I'm sure you know their packcages are $136,000.... you're trying to downplay the facts.
The same if true for the kids Pleasanton starts at $100,000. packages....since that's what it actually costs us, to contribute for them each year, salary, medical, retirement, etc. etc. etc.
Aren't those unions great....that way each employee routes his extra $$ right back to the union bosses who just keep stuffing their political contribution bags to control every election in CA, city, county, legislature, governor. Their business plan works....for THEM ! Hostage patient's insurance co,taxpaid medicare bills, local & state taxpayers get screwed.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

The valley needs strong leadership on BART board
By Tim Hunt | 0 comments | 851 views

A good year for Pleasanton; 2018 could be even better
By Jeb Bing | 0 comments | 672 views