Be a hero, donate blood

Original post made on Oct 27, 2011

Jeff Meyer's business is blood, and he wants some of yours and mine. Meyers is the chief executive officer for the American Red Cross Northern California blood services region, which includes the blood donor station at 5556-B Springdale Ave., next to the JC Penny furniture store. Meyer's concern is that where October is usually a good month for blood donations, the center's supply is coming up short. With donations traditionally tapering off as Thanksgiving and the Christmas holiday periods approach, he's worried and asks that all of us who are eligible make an appointment to give blood.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, October 21, 2011, 12:00 AM

Like this comment
Posted by Robyn
a resident of another community
on Oct 27, 2011 at 10:08 am

Great article about the Red Cross and it's CEO.

Like this comment
Posted by Sara O'Brien
a resident of another community
on Oct 27, 2011 at 10:18 am

I'm with the Red Cross and want to thank Jeb Bing for his column about the need for blood donors. Learn more at redcross.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).

Like this comment
Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Oct 27, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I've heard that the Red Cross doesn't accept everybody's blood? Is it true? just asking...

Like this comment
Posted by Steve
a resident of Parkside
on Oct 27, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Cholo, if you've had hep A or are an active drug user, that might explain why you were turned away.

Like this comment
Posted by Zelda
a resident of Danville
on Oct 27, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Cholo, if you have any infection, like AIDS you cannot give blood either. Maybe the rules are different at the BA...just sayin

Like this comment
Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Oct 28, 2011 at 12:29 pm

mes petites...i have no infections...not even a mosquito bite on my nose...thank you very much...

Like this comment
Posted by Anonymous
on Oct 28, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Cholo, you are not French nor do you speak French - your simple grammar was incorrect. Also, you must be physically able to sustain the loss of blood. You may be thanked but not allowed to donate if you are considered to be underweight or have had the flu or even a cold within the past month. If a simple test shows you are even slightly anemic, you will be turned away. Blood donation has to be safe for everyone, the receiver and the donor. They have to be strict for the good of the community and to avoid lawsuits.

Like this comment
Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Oct 29, 2011 at 5:52 pm

if folks are so worried re: who donates blood, i recommend that you eat cake...tee hee hee, tee hee hee...

Like this comment
Posted by Tim
on Oct 30, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I'd love to donate my blood but they don't want it. I'm not a drug user, don't have hep A nor any infections...however I am a gay man. Even though I've been with only my husband for the past 10 years, they still don't allow my blood to be donated for fear of HIV/Aids. This of course doesn't make any sense given that they test all of the donated blood anyway. In this case, a discriminatory policy against me ends up hurting others; especially since I have a rare blood type. Ah well. I still encourage those who can give to do so.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

GE's re-organization reaches San Ramon digital headquarters

Sound and Fury over Vile and Slur-ry
By Tom Cushing | 70 comments | 1,110 views

New state housing requirements could affect Pleasanton
By Jeb Bing | 2 comments | 414 views