"Only" 17 cents a day

Original post made by seniorgrump, Another Pleasanton neighborhood, on Jun 21, 2011

I realize that Pleasanton Weekly doesn't seem to be able to cover costs with advertising, but 17 cents/day to subscribe seems to be a little pricey. For 20 cents/day I get a printed copy of the Valley Times delivered to my driveway by 6AM every day. Seems like a much better deal.

Like this comment
Posted by Patriot
a resident of Country Fair
on Jun 21, 2011 at 11:41 am

I have to agree with seniorgrump. We even receive the Herald everyday for less. The Weekly has several people on their staff. If the positions are all paid, perhaps the paper should downsize and or some individuals take a cut in pay. Other companies,agencies and organizations have had to make concessions all around. CHP dispatchers took almost $1000.00 pay cuts. As I distinctly remember, when the Weekly first started, it did not have a lot of advertisers. It had more substance and did not appear to be biased. Reporting seemed to be fair and more interesting back then.

Like this comment
Posted by Weekly
a resident of Vineyard Hills
on Jun 21, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Bad comparison. It is a weekly paper. Why not say $1.20 a week? What do other weekly news sources cost? And then it is still apples and oranges, local and national.

Like this comment
Posted by another
on Jun 21, 2011 at 1:24 pm

We have the Independent which is a weekly, local paper. Published in Livermore but carries just as much Pleasanton. That paper is still free. They do a pretty good job in doing in-depth writing. Their editorials lean to the left but the articles are balanced.

Like this comment
Posted by seniorgrump
on Jun 21, 2011 at 3:30 pm

OK "Weekly", I subscribe to Business Week, a weekly, for $19/year or 36 cents/week. It also is delivered to my mail box.

Since it is Pleasanton Weekly that is pushing the 17 cents/day pricing, I'm not sure what your problem is. Even if I only got the Sunday Valley Times paper for $1.40 (20 cents per day) it is worth a lot more than the Pleasanton Weekly at the suggested $1.17 (17 cents per day).

Like this comment
Posted by Educated
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:22 pm

You can get a double cheeseburger at MacDonalds for $1. A double cheese at Bob's ... let's say $6.50/ Go the Ritz Carlton and its $24. Make it at home it's about $3. My point is that each product has its own perceived value. For example, you're complaining about the price of the PW as you write FREE on its unrestricted blog. Each paper has a bias, so this isn't news. In fact, the Forum allows for a counter-balance to each extreme. Again, my point: If you like and use the PW or its Forum cough up the dough. If you feel getting some local chatter off your chest is worth the effort ... pay the piper. OR: watch from the sidelines, suffer through the fund raising sessions (like you would watching channel 9) and enjoy the ride. There's a lot more choice than you think, and what's fun is you get to choose if the price is right for you.

Like this comment
Posted by ???
a resident of Amador Estates
on Jun 23, 2011 at 10:00 am

The Pleasanton Weekly is simply an arm of the Democrat party. So why not have the Democrat campaign funds fund this propaganda machine? Have McNerney's union buddies fund it.

(My guess is that the PW will censor this soon...because that is what good leftists do.)

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

The valley needs strong leadership on BART board

A good year for Pleasanton; 2018 could be even better