Why are VBAC not allowed at local hospitals?

Original post made by Why?, Another Pleasanton neighborhood, on Jul 24, 2009

The last time I checked, the body that is carrying my baby is mine. I recently moved to the area and have come to learn through a local OB practice that I cannot pursue a VBAC - not because of my health or any other reason that points to the viability based on my body, but rather "hospital policy" at two local hospitals. I am going to have to find a doctor out of town and travel a considerable distance to deliver my baby in order to give labor a try, and that is assuming I make it to that hospital in time.

I am shocked. What is the deal in this community? Since when do doctors and hospital adminstrators get to decide how I deliver my child as a policy?

I'm researching this issue and wondered if anyone else in this community has pursued this issue locally? Or have any insight to a possible local resource?

I am a new resident and have no family in this state. If I have to endure an unnecessary C, I will have no help and am at great risk of injury. How is this sane?

Interested in thoughtful replies.

An "expectant" new neighbor

Like this comment
Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jul 24, 2009 at 10:53 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

I don't know about the local hospitals, but I think you can have that at Washington Hospital in Fremont (Palo Alto Medical Foundation in Fremont partners with them). It is a 20-30 min. drive from here assuming non-commute hours. Is that too considerable of a distance?

Like this comment
Posted by Jill
a resident of Carlton Oaks
on Jul 25, 2009 at 8:13 am

My understanding is that the reason ValleyCare won't do VBACs is that the standard protocol for VBAC requires that an obstetrician be in the hospital throughout labor, so they can intervene immediately in the case of uterine rupture. The OBs that serve ValleyCare work on a call basis and typically only come in when they're needed.

Presumably, if you could get your OB to be in the hospital throughout your labor, you could do a VBAC at ValleyCare. Otherwise, yes, you have to find a hospital with different staffing.

Like this comment
Posted by Sandy
a resident of Mohr Park
on Jul 25, 2009 at 10:39 am

I too am new to this area, so I don't know what drives policy in different hospitals, but there is one resource I can recommend:

ICAN, the International Cesearean Awareness Network

Here's the link: Web Link

You should be able to find a support group locally, and they will likely have information about supportive doctors.

Like this comment
Posted by Parent
a resident of Amador Estates
on Jul 25, 2009 at 10:53 am

Kaiser did them up to about 10 years ago but as I understand will no longer- I suspect a lawsuit is behind this!

Like this comment
Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jul 25, 2009 at 6:18 pm

I have absolutely no idea what a VBAC is? PLeeeeeeeese Esplaaaaaaaaaain?

signed,

la sandy

Like this comment
Posted by Jon
a resident of Danbury Park
on Jul 25, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Vaginal Birth After Cesarean! meaning that after a woman has a child via cesarean, she is saying that local hospitals refuse to deliver subsiquent babies via vaginal delivery.

CAPISCHE Cholo?

Like this comment
Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jul 26, 2009 at 11:31 am

no...what is this? who wants to have another baby anyway? aren't there enuf already?
there are lots of babies to adopt...how come you're concerned about vddc's anyway?

sheeeeeeeesh...

Like this comment
Posted by Why?
on Jul 28, 2009 at 10:21 am

Cholo, or whatever your name is,

I came to this forum because I am new to this area and wanted to get some insight from other community members (implied by the name "Town Forum").

I am not sure why you posted your comment to a pregnant woman. It was not helpful. I am expecting a baby, find myself in a difficult situation and I do not appreciate your comment.

Thankfully you are by far the exception of all the people I have met in this community. For that I am thankful.

ALL:

I was also given information recently that John Muir also "allows" VBAC's as well as Alta Bates. I appreciate the info on Fremont. I need to choose a new medical group immediately as I had to recently fly home for an appointment...obviously not conducive for the future.

Like this comment
Posted by VBACs
a resident of Carlton Oaks
on Aug 5, 2009 at 11:58 am

VBACs must be performed at level three or whatever hospitals and Pleasantons hospital is not that level. You can go to Walnut Creeks or San Ramons hospitals I think.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

The valley needs strong leadership on BART board

A good year for Pleasanton; 2018 could be even better
By Jeb Bing | 0 comments | 724 views

3 Great Ways to Showcase Your Strengths on College Applications!
By Elizabeth LaScala | 0 comments | 85 views