I went to Harvest Park a long time ago but it still has one great teacher I know is still there

Original post made by Harvest Park Alum, Pleasanton Meadows, on May 16, 2009

Mr. Bowen was a science teacher when my 'I don't need school since I'm going to be a professional baseball player' attitude walked into his biology classroom in 1987. He was funny, smart, and a good ball player himself. He challenged me to get an 'A' and that's what I needed. Anyway I got the 'A', never made the pros and ended up a biology major at the University of Colorado. Without him I don't know where I'd of ended up. Instead I ended up back where I started from. When you are from Pleasanton that's not a bad fate. If your kid has had him you and your child are lucky. If you can get your kid in his class, do whatever it takes. A great teacher, man and mentor. Thanks Mr. B.

Like this comment
Posted by Another HP grad
on May 17, 2009 at 8:32 am

Mr. Bowen is still there. Both of my kids had him for science and thought he was terrific.

Like this comment
Posted by Dorene Paradiso
a resident of Civic Square
on May 18, 2009 at 10:34 am

Do any of you know if Mr. Bowen has a Father of the same name, who taught Science and Biology at San Lorenzo High in 1965? The two of them seem to have similar teaching qualities.

Like this comment
Posted by PToWN94566
on May 18, 2009 at 1:27 pm

PToWN94566 is a registered user.

I had Mr. Bowen! If I remember correctly, he'd make people sing "I'm A Little Teapot" as a consequence or something. And I think his hall pass to go to the bathroom was a regular size stool. I remember having a hard time understanding biology to begin with, but the way he taught made it so students could understand and do fairly well on the tests/homework assignments. Great teacher!

Like this comment
Posted by Betsy
a resident of California Reflections
on May 19, 2009 at 12:00 pm

I had Mr Bowen at the old Pleasanton School and then my kids had the pleasure of having him at Harvest Park in the last couple of years. You will be happy to know he is as crazy as ever and just as much of a treat for the students. They both always came home with crazy Bowen stories and enjoyed his classes. And as a parents he is just as strict of a teacher as he has always been. To be able to have such high standards and be such a great fun teacher cannot be an easy task!

Like this comment
Posted by Barry
a resident of Harvest Park Middle School
on Jun 5, 2017 at 12:45 am

at the beginning of every class there would be a quick moment where Mr B would ask the class:

"any questions? jokes ? riddles? comments ? tv trivia ?"

great teacher - from a class of 2004 student who has since returned to Ireland

Like this comment
Posted by Laura O
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Jun 9, 2017 at 12:27 pm

There's no one better than Mr. Bowen!! One of the absolute best....even though I had to do a few renditions of "I'm A Little Tea Pot" in 7th grade. :) I always love seeing him around town.

To post your comment, please login or register at the top of the page. This topic is only for those who have signed up to participate by providing their email address and establishing a screen name.

Tri-Valley cities rank high in poll

Question credibility, corroboration before condemnation
By pleasantonweekly.com | 3 comments | 431 views