Arco on Stanley - Video and blaring audio-infomercials

Original post made by Don, Downtown, on Dec 17, 2007

I happened into the Arco station @ Stanley and Del Valle for gas. They have a new feature. On the top of every pump are 2-20" video screen and annoying audio play continuously. I mentioned this to my wife and she told me that when she had gassed up a few days earlier the noise was so loud that she complained. She was told by the franchisee he could do nothing about it and did not like himself. He stated that he had to pay for the energy out of his own pocket himself. He showed a number that we could call to complain to Arco if we wanted. The sound has been lowered but I still think this is similar to bill board signs. It visual and noise pollution IMO and does not have any redeeming social value.

Maybe the Weekly could do a story and interview residents about the value or lack there of on this. The number if you would like to call Arco is 1-800-322-ARCO. I will call tomorrow between 6AM - 6PM CST. Maybe they could lower the price of gas instead of spending their profits on useless tek/gimics like this.

Posted by huh
a resident of Bonde Ranch
on Dec 18, 2007 at 1:47 pm

what would you rather be doing while pumping gas? or are you one of "those" who sit in their car or go into the store? you don't like it? don't get gas there. pretty simple really...

Posted by Amber
a resident of Southeast Pleasanton
on Dec 18, 2007 at 3:09 pm

Write a story about it?! WHY? Like huh said-- if you dont' like it, don't buy gas there. There's another way to protest your complaint. Shell in Hacienda has the same thing.

Posted by Frank
on Dec 19, 2007 at 10:42 am

I dont see what the big deal is about, I personally enjoy getting the news and weather updates at the pump.

Posted by Liz
a resident of Livermore
on Dec 19, 2007 at 11:20 pm

My sister works for a major bank and they are planning to play ads with sound on their ATMs soon.

Posted by PToWN94566
a resident of Walnut Grove Elementary School
on Dec 20, 2007 at 5:03 pm

Ya I don't mean to be rude, but just ignore it. You are getting gas and once that's done with in few minutes you leave. I haven't seen those, but if they are advertising for the gas station, I don't see a problem. At least it's not some huge sign like you see on the freeways that is bright and wants to get your attention when one should be driving. If it's that annoying, get in your car while you pump gas and listen to music you enjoy.

Posted by P Ellis
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Dec 23, 2007 at 9:22 am

Protest with our dollars, spend them at other merchants and tell those we don't like to use why we choose not to use them.

That is the most powerful statement a community can make. If Arco on Stanley is contributing to noice pollution, call that number and tell say you are using another brand at another station until it changes.

I'm am irritated that I can't use my credit card there, and that they charge to use a debit card.

At the bank do the same thing, start overloading the front counter by refusing to use the ATM, or change banks... we have consumer power.

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Dec 23, 2007 at 9:49 am

I filled up there on Friday and the screens were off.

Their gas price is kept lower than other gas companies by not offering credit card purchases (CC companies charge merchants about 3% of sale price) and passing the ATM transaction fee onto you. I like that option. It is annoying going to other gas stations and having to pay for their CC fee if I don't pay for my gas using my CC.

Posted by Don
on Dec 24, 2007 at 9:00 pm

I went to the station two different days this last week and the screens were off both times. I did call in and complain, like I originally posted. Maybe they are listening to the customer. As the original poster I realize that this is not a show stopper but I equate it to the frog in the pot of water that is slowly being warmed. That is all my point was.

Don

Posted by Tony
on Dec 27, 2007 at 2:16 am

So they keep raising our gas prices for junk like this that I could care less for? Yep, gas companies sure are not making much money.

Posted by Don
on Jan 2, 2008 at 2:45 pm

Latest info,

They have shut the video ads off because neighbors and customers were complaining. So let people know if something bothers you instead of dealing with it.

Posted by Name hidden
a resident of Ridgeview Commons

on Apr 26, 2017 at 6:02 pm

Due to repeated violations of our Terms of Use, comments from this poster are automatically removed. Why?