The North Coast Section playoffs have come and gone and the only NCS titles went to EBAL girls’ teams as Carondelet and Monte Vista won titles in their respective divisions. On the boys’ side, three EBAL teams advanced to championship games, but all three fell.
There are eight teams advancing into the CIF State tournament, so there will be one final poll following the end of state.
1. De La Salle (22-5): The Spartans knocked off Miramonte 40-38 in the semifinals, but then fell 51-50 to Campolindo in the championship. Hosts Riordan as the No. 4 seed in CIF Open play.
2. Granada (16-8): Played once last week, beating Dublin 54-50. Is the No. 10 seed and makes the trip to Grant in a D-I CIF game.
3. Dublin (16-7): Lost to Granada 54-50 in a consolation game in the Open division. Goes on the road to Folsom in D-I State tournament.
4. San Ramon Valley (17-9): Trounced Montgomery 51-35 in the semifinals, but then were knocked off 49-47 by Salesian in the title game. No. 8 seed hosts Burlingame (9) in D-II playoffs.
5. Dougherty Valley (21-6): Made it to the finals with a 68-65 win over Moreau, but then dropped a 76-71 game to Clayton Valley. Gets the No. 16 seed and plays at top seeded Sacred Heart Prep in D-I.
1. Carondelet (25-2): Beat O’Dowd 57-47 in the semifinals, then topped San Ramon Valley for the second straight time, 69-49 in the finals. Nothing short of a NorCal title will be shocking for the Cougars. Top seed in the Open division.
2. San Ramon Valley (26-4): The Wolves advanced to the finals with a 79-64 win over Salesian, but then fell by 20 to Carondelet in the finals. Get’s the No. 7 Open seed and goes to Mitty (2) for the first round.
3. Monte Vista (21-9): As expected the Mustangs rolled to the D-I title beating Dublin 47-33 in the semifinals, then dumping James Logan 70-54 in the title game. Despite winning NCS, gets the No. 12 seed and goes to Valley Christian-San Jose (5) in the first round.
4. Amador Valley (17-10): Did not play last week. Season over.
5. Dublin (13-12): The Gaels nice postseason run ended with the 47-33 loss to Monte Vista in the semifinals. Season over.
Here are the final EBAL Soccer Power Rankings for this season. There are only two teams going into the Northern California tournament and since both sit on the top of the rankings, this will be our final rankings for the 2020-2021 season.
1. De La Salle (19-6-1): The only team to make it into the second week of the NCS playoffs, the Spartans took it all. In the semifinals they edged Clayton Valley 1-0, then got the best of Montgomery in the finals, winning 2-1. No. 3 seed in Nor Cal tournament.
2. Dublin (12-6-5): Did not play last week.
3. California (14-6-5): Did not play last week.
4. Monte Vista (13-4-4): Did not play last week.
5. Dougherty Valley (8-7-5): Did not play last week.
1. Carondelet (208-1-2): Ended with a 2-1 win over San Ramon Valley in the semifinals and then completed the NCS run with a 3-0 win over Cal in the finals. No 2 seed in Nor Cal.
2. Monte Vista (13-1-4): The Mustangs are still stunned by the first round loss to Granada.
3. San Ramon Valley (12-6-3): Played Carondelet tough in the semifinals, falling 2-1.
4. Amador Valley (8-1-8): Did not play last week.
5. California (8-9-4): The Grizzlies extended their improbable NCS run by topping Maria Carrillo in the semifinals in a shootout before the clock stuck midnight, falling 3-0 to Carondelet in the finals.