The rankings this week take us through the games of Sunday, Jan. 30.
This week also brings the final week of regular season and with that some big games for seeding purposes for the EBAL tournament the week of Feb. 7.
1. Dougherty Valley (18-2, 4-2): A crazy loss to Amador Valley on Sunday, while hard to explain, will not move the Wildcats down from the top spot, but it sure makes this week a lot more interesting!
2. De La Salle (16-4, 5-2): After losing their first two EBAL games the Spartans have been on a roll, not losing a game. Might be playing the best ball of any team right now.
3. Dublin (13-4, 6-1): Big win over San Ramon last week and now rolls into the colossal game with Dougherty Valley on Tuesday night.
4. San Ramon Valley (11-5, 5-2): Beat Granada again last week and vaults over the Mats into the No. 4 spot. Closes the season with a big game against De La Salle on Feb. 5.
5. Granada (13-5, 5-3): Did lose to San Ramon, but rallied with comfortable wins over Amador Valley and California. Could be the sleeper in the league tournament.
1. San Ramon Valley (18-2, 8-0): Shook the rafters on Jan. 29 with a 64-60 win over Carondelet and moves into the top spot, taking control of the regular season and the top seed for the playoffs.
2. Carondelet (17-2, 5-1): Had to run a gauntlet last week and nearly got through unscathed. The Cougars beat Amador, Monte Vista, and Granada before getting dropped by San Ramon Valley. Will look for redemption in the EBAL tournament.
3. Monte Vista (14-6, 5-2): A notch behind the top two teams but playing well right now.
4. Granada (15-3, 5-3): Took pretty bad losses to San Ramon Valley and Carondelet last week. Will try to right the ship this week and head into the playoffs with some momentum.
5. Amador Valley (13-6, 3-3): Hanging on to the No. 5 spot for now after dropping games to Carondelet and Granada last week.
As we move into the last two weeks of the EBAL season, four teams can still make a case to win the boys’ championship, with the girls’ race coming down to the two front runners, who square off again this week.
1. Monte Vista (11-0-4 overall, 5-0-4 EBAL): The Mustangs are unbeaten on the season and in league play but sit third in the EBAL standings at this point. Four ties in EBAL play – including a 2-2 final with De La Salle last week – has kept them from the top spot. Does face DLS again this week.
2. California (11-3-5, 6-1-2): The Grizzlies are second in the league, one point back of De La Salle, but own a win over the Spartans in league. The teams meet again the last game of the regular season.
3. De La Salle (11-6-1, 7-1-1): Drops San Ramon Valley in their second game of the week and stands in first with 22 points – one better than Cal and three ahead of Monte Vista.
4. Dublin (8-4-5, 5-1-3): The Gaels sit only one point back of Monte Vista and has a pair of winnable games this week. Plays Monte Vista the last week of the season.
5. Amador Valley (4-4-2, 3-4-2): The Dons did beat Granada 2-0 last week and with 11 points in league they sit in the No. 5 spot in our rankings.
1. Carondelet (13-0-2, 7-0-2): In their first match against Monte Vista, the Cougars fought to a 1-1 tie. Has 23 points, one better than Monte Vista but they have played one more game than the Mustangs.
2. Monte Vista (9-0-3, 7-0-1): The 1-1 tie with Carondelet didn’t hurt the Mustangs and the two teams meet again Thursday. With three league games this week, we could see Monte Vista take the top spot both in the EBAL and the Power Rankings.
3. Amador Valley (6-0-3, 4-0-3): The Dons are the third team in the EBAL yet to lose a game overall on the season. Tough tie with Granada last week, but the team rebounded with a 2-0 win over Livermore.
4. San Ramon Valley (9-4-1, 4-4-1): Beat Dougherty Valley 2-0 to start the week, but then fell 2-0 to Carondelet.
5. Dublin (10-4-2, 4-3-1): Beat Foothill 1-0 in their only EBAL game of the week to move to 13 points in league play.
On the bubble: Granada (4-7-4, 2-5-2), Foothill (2-5-1, 2-5-1).