It’s getting fun as the top-ranked team in our boys’ rankings goes down for the second straight week. Dougherty Valley was on top two weeks ago, then Dublin took the top spot last week. This week, Dougherty Valley's back on top and Dublin slipped to third!
On the girls’ side, the top two teams have separated themselves from the rest of the league.
1. Dougherty Valley (17-1, 3-1): Huge week for the Wildcats as they pick up three wins, capping the week with a furious come-from-behind 76-71 win over Granada.
2. De La Salle (13-4, 2-1): The Spartans had a monster win beating Dublin 58-51 and jump to the No. 2 spot. They also beat Livermore 65-38.
3. Dublin (10-4, 3-1): Had the disappointing loss to De La Salle, but then came back to take it out on Amador, beating the Dons 84-40.
4. Granada (11-4, 3-2): The Mats took out Livermore and Foothill before falling late to Dougherty Valley. This is a fun team to watch, and senior Kevin Gad is the real deal. Will be a threat in the playoffs.
5. San Ramon Valley (9-4, 3-1): Had a head-scratching loss to Monte Vista but was able to come back and pull out a three-point win over Cal. Did beat Granada earlier in a non-league game, but that Mats look to be the better team right now.
On the bubble: Amador (9-5, 1-1), California (10-7, 2-2).
1. Carondelet (14-1, 2-0): Won three games last week, two in EBAL play and one non-league win over a good Heritage team. Has a big game this week with second ranked San Ramon Valley.
2. San Ramon Valley (14-2, 4-0): Rolled over Monte Vista and Foothill last week but draws a pair of tough ones this week. On the Wolves side, they have home games against 13-1 Granada, and 14-1 Carondelet. The EBAL regular season champ will be determined this week.
3. Monte Vista (12-5, 4-1): Lost 74-49 to San Ramon, but rallied for an easy win over Dougherty Valley, followed by a hard fought 66-61 non-league loss to Pinewood – a perennial power from the South Bay.
4. Granada (13-1, 3-1): Came away with three wins last week, knocking off Livermore, Foothill, and Dougherty Valley. A pair of big games this week against San Ramon and Amador Valley.
5. Amador Valley (12-4, 2-1): The Dons are doing what they need to do – beat the teams they are supposed to, edging Foothill and Dublin. Huge game with Granada on Thursday.
The EBAL boys’ race has gotten top heavy with four teams sporting only one loss just over halfway through the league season.
On the girls’ side, the top teams are both unbeaten, but something should give this week when they meet on Tuesday.
1. Monte Vista (11-0-2 overall, 5-0-2 EBAL): A surprising 1-1 draw with Dougherty Valley was not enough of a stumble to drop the Mustangs from the top spot.
2. California (10-3-4, 5-1-1): Fought for a 3-2 win over San Ramon Valley, then came back and finished with a 1-1 draw with No. 4 Dublin.
3. De La Salle (10-6, 6-1): The Spartans were the lone EBAL team to pick up two wins last week, beating Livermore and Amador Valley, both by 3-1 finals.
4. Dublin (7-4-4, 4-1-2): The Gaels were fit to be tied, drawing with Amador Valley and California, both in 1-1 finals.
5. Amador Valley (3-4-1, 2-4-1): The No. 5 spot could change weekly as three teams sit right there. The Dons have the most EBAL points of the three, so they get the spot this week over Granada and Dougherty Valley. Solid 1-1 draw with Dublin didn’t hurt either.
On the bubble: Granada (5-6-1, 1-4-1), Dougherty Valley (6-4-2, 1-4-2).
1. Carondelet (12-0-1, 6-0-1): Beat Livermore and Foothill, but drew 1-1 with Amador Valley. Faces a monster match with Monte Vista Tuesday at home at 6 p.m.
2. Monte Vista (8-0-2, 6-0): Knocked off Dougherty Valley 3-0 and Foothill 1-0 to stay unbeaten on the season. Can take over the top spot with a win at Carondelet on Tuesday.
3. Amador Valley (4-0-2, 3-0-2): Jumps over San Ramon Valley into the third spot with a win over Dublin and a tie with top team Carondelet.
4. San Ramon Valley (8-3-1, 3-3-1): A perplexing 3-1 loss to Cal drops the Wolves a spot this week.
5. Dublin (9-4-2, 3-3-1): Lost 2-0 to Amador Valley, but beat Cal 2-1 to climb into the fifth spot for now.
On the bubble: Foothill (2-3-1, 2-3-1), Granada (4-6-3, 2-4-1), Dougherty Valley (3-4-3, 0-3-3).