After finally compiling enough soccer results, here is the Playbook’s initial EBAL Soccer Power Rankings! We rank the top five boys’ and girls’ teams.
The top team in each poll seem solid, but after that, teams are bunched together.
It is our first attempt to power rank the soccer teams, so enjoy!
1. Monte Vista (10-0-1 overall, 4-0-1 EBAL): The record pretty much says it all. In league play has beaten Livermore, Granada, Amador, and Cal. The tie was surprising against 1-3-1 San Ramon Valley.
2. California (8-3-3, 4-1): Lone league loss came to top-ranked Monte Vista. Wins over De LaSalle, Dougherty Valley (2), and San Ramon Valley cements the No. 2 spot.
3. De La Salle (8-6, 4-1): The Spartans always play a brutal non-league slate to get ready for league. Lost to California in league and that keeps them behind the Grizzlies.
4. Dublin (6-4-3, 3-1): The Gaels fell to De La Salle, so they stay behind the Spartans. Has EBAL wins over Amador, Foothill, and Granada.
5. Granada (5-4-1, 1-2-1): The Matadors will take the No. 5 spot for now by virtue of their win over Amador Valley. Did only lose to Dublin 1-0.
1. Carondelet (10-0, 4-0): Much the same as on the boys’ side, the record speaks for itself right now. Has wins over Cal, San Ramon Valley, Dougherty Valley, and Dublin.
2. Monte Vista (6-0-2, 4-0): The Mustangs are also unbeaten this season with wins over Livermore, Granada, Cal, and San Ramon. January 25 figures to be a big one when they face Carondelet.
3. San Ramon Valley (6-2-1, 2-2-1): The two losses have come to Carondelet and Monte Vista, so hard to place any lower than third in the first poll.
4. Amador Valley (3-0-1, 2-0-1): The Dons have played fewer games than the top three teams, so it is tough to get a deep read on this team. Has beaten Livermore and Granada, and the tie came against Dublin. Scheduled to face Carondelet on January 20.
5. Foothill (2-0-1, 2-0-1): Much like Amador has not played many games. Does have a win over Dublin so that puts the Falcons ahead of the Gaels. Also, the tie came against San Ramon Valley.
On the bubble: Dublin (8-3-2, 2-2-1).
Here are the power rankings following what was the second week of the East Bay Athletic League season. Some teams have yet to play a league game, while others have been playing games with reduced rosters due to COVID protocols.
We trudge forward and hope for the best coming up!
1. Dublin (9-3, 2-0): The Gaels picked up and epic win, getting a buzzer beating 3-pointer to knock off Granada 59-56 on the road. They deserve the top spot for going on the road to beat their main competition in the Valley division.
2. Dougherty Valley (14-1, 2-1): Fell from the unbeaten ranks in a 63-61 loss to San Ramon Valley in the Dougherty gym. Did have an impressive 66-61 win over De La Salle. If Dublin stumbles the Wildcats will be ready to pounce on the top spot.
3. San Ramon Valley (8-3, 2-0): The Wolves jump Granada thanks to knocking Dougherty Valley from the unbeaten ranks. A pair of tough road games at Monte Vista and California this week.
4. Granada (9-3, 1-1): Can’t drop the Matadors far after a last second loss to our top-ranked Dublin. Big game next Sunday when they venture into San Ramon to face Dougherty Valley.
5. De La Salle (10-4, 0-2): Hanging in the No. 5 spot despite dropping both EBAL games played. Something tells me the Spartans will have a say in the title race as the season plays out.
On the bubble: Amador (9-3, 1-0), California (9-5, 1-1).
1. Carondelet (11-1, 0-0): The best team in the EBAL – enough said.
2. San Ramon Valley (12-2, 2-0): Gets two EBAL games in last week, rolling California 74-31, then Dougherty Valley 82-21. Big game Tuesday against Monte Vista.
3. Monte Vista (10-3, 2-0): Red hot right now as they beat Amador 76-39, then came back and knocked Granada from the unbeaten ranks 51-34. Also had a 66-35 win over Cal. Travels to San Ramon Tuesday night.
4. Granada (9-1 1-1): Opened league beating Dublin, but then ended the week losing to Monte Vista.
5. Amador Valley (10-4, 0-1): The Dons fell decisively to Monte Vista in their lone game last week. A couple of big Valley division games this week at Foothill, then hosting Dublin.
On the bubble: Dublin (7-5, 0-1).