Here are the power rankings following the first week of the East Bay Athletic League season, although it was far from normal of a first week off the season thanks to COVID.
In fact, there was not one girls’ game played opening week, and there were some boys’ games that were not played as well. Oh well – here we go!
1. Dougherty Valley (13-0, 1-0): Did play once and dropped a 74-59 loss on California.
2. Dublin (7-3, 1-0): The Gaels played their first game since Dec. 22 and while clearly ironing out some rusty parts of their game, as well as missing four players to COVID protocol, got a 57-50 win over a game Foothill side.
3. Granada (9-2, 1-0): The Matadors play a game for the first time in almost three weeks but come out hot, knocking off a solid Monte Vista team 64-39.
4. San Ramon Valley (7-2, 1-0): The Wolves get in one game, knocking off Foothill 48-39 in another spunky effort by the Falcons.
5. De La Salle (10-3, 0-1): Decimated by COVID, the Spartans fell 63-49 to California, then didn’t play on Friday night. Can’t drop this team out of the top five with all the players they are missing.
On the bubble: Amador (9-3, 1-0), California (9-5, 1-1).
1. Carondelet (10-1, 0-0): Did get a non-league game in, beating West County 79-35.
2. Granada (8-0, 0-0): Played no games last week.
3. San Ramon Valley (10-2, 0-0): Had a scheduled game with McClatchy on Jan. 8, but have not seen the results, nor can confirm the game was played.
4. Amador Valley (10-3, 0-0): The Dons did not play last week.
5. Monte Vista (8-3, 0-0): The Mustangs did not make their EBAL season debut last week.
On the bubble: Dublin (7-4, 0-0).