Keep your kids busy on days with activities like picking vegetables out of the garden or creating a platter of your family's favorite veggies for dipping in fun-flavored dips.
Here are some tips to making certain those veggies will be eaten:
* Nearly 80 percent of parents say veggie dip helps their kids eat more vegetables, and that having dip handy in the fridge helps everyone in the family eat more vegetables, according to a recent study by the T. Marzetti Company.
* Mix veggies into your family's favorite recipes for additional flavoring. For example, add zucchini to breads or blend it up into spaghetti sauce. Mix some corn kernels into salsa or homemade soups. Your entire family may be surprised at how delicious their favorite recipes end up tasting.
* Add some vegetable creativity to pasta salads. Add ranch dip to a chicken pasta salad mixed with apples, chopped celery, scallions, pecans and dried cranberries.
* Switch up spreads. People often top their sandwiches with mustard and mayonnaise. Add some zing to a turkey wrap with a ranch dip or a dill dip as a spread on a wheat roll with chicken and arugula.
* Who says you can't play with your food? Build an edible veggie creation with your kids. Lay out an assortment of raw veggies and fruits and let imagination run wild with faces, figures, places and more. When your child's creation is finished, take a photo for posterity (share it socially), and then enjoy eating with delicious dips.
* Consider introducing the family to a new vegetable each week or laying out a "dip bar," exploring new tastes in the process. Soon you'll have all members of your family asking for more vegetables.
- Courtesy Brandpoint
This story contains 319 words.
Stories older than 90 days are available only to subscribing members. Please help sustain quality local journalism by becoming a subscribing member today.
If you are already a subscriber, please log in so you can continue to enjoy unlimited access to stories and archives. Subscriptions start at $5 per month and may be cancelled at any time.