Robert "Bob" Lincoln Koopmann, a native of Pleasanton and longtime resident, died April 12 at the age of 84.
He was born March 31, 1927, to Peter and Anna Koopmann on Pleasanton Avenue in Pleasanton. He graduated from Amador High School in 1945. From 1945-47 he was in the U.S. Army, serving in Berlin as a military policeman. When he returned, he married his Elaine Secada in the Methodist Church in Reno, Nev. They recently celebrated their 64th anniversary.
Mr. Koopmann was a flooring contractor for his own business, Koopmann Linoleum, for 28 years on Main Street in Pleasanton and then on Ray Street. He built the Adobe Plaza shopping center in 1977 where Kottinger Barn is located, which he restored and placed on the National Historic Register. He belonged to Native Sons of the Golden West for 57 years. He was a Pleasanton Volunteer Fireman for 19 years and received the prestigious Helen Keller Fellowship Award from the International Lion's Club. He was also a member in the Amador Valley Historic Society, Hayward Historic Society, 20/30 Club, American Legion and was a 25-year member of Pleasanton/Tulancingo Sister City Association.
He loved fishing, hunting, camping, cooking, building (including four homes), traveling and sports. Mostly, he loved to be with his family and his friends. Recently he and Elaine moved to Livermore from Murphys, where they had lived in retirement for 25 years. While on a Hawaiian birthday cruise, celebrating his 84th birthday with family, he had a medical emergency and was flown by helicopter to UC San Diego Medical Center where he died April 12.
Mr. Koopmann was preceded in death by two children, Dennis and Marilyn, and two sisters, Ruth Taylor and Nadine Smith. He is survived by his brother Richard Koopmann of San Leandro, his children Sheryl (Virgil Stanger) and Robert "Bob"(Julie); eight grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren. Donations may be made to the Native Sons or Daughters of the Golden West. A celebration of his life will be held noon-3 p.m., Thursday, April 28, at the Veteran's Memorial Building, 520 L St. in Livermore.