Police caught a lucky break March 5 when a call to a hotel led to the arrest of a Livermore man for multiple identity thefts.
Joseph Freeland Montgomery III, 28, was arrested at the Residence Inn in the 11900 block of Dublin Canyon Road on felony counts of identity theft, possession of stolen property, drug possession and felony probation violation.
Police were called by the manager at about 10:16 p.m. to help get a guest out of his room after prior dealings with him in San Ramon. After learning Montgomery was on probation, a search of his room turned up 10 credit cards in other peoples' names and a credit card creator with blank cards, according to police, who are investigating other possible victims.
In other police reports:
* Richard Louis Williams, 18, of Pleasanton was arrested on a felony count of assault with a deadly weapon at about 11:55 p.m. March 7 at a home in the 8100 block of Arroyo Drive. Police were called to a party after a reported altercation between Williams and two others, who were cut on their necks with a piece of glass.
* John Levell Lightfoot, 43, of San Leandro was arrested near the intersection of Owens and Hacienda drives at about 9:56 p.m. March 4 on two felony counts of failure to register as a sex offender. Police, who knew he had failed to re-register, spotted Lightfoot at a bus stop.
* Cash and electronics were stolen from a home in the 1600 block of Laguna Hills Lane in a burglary that took place between 3 p.m. March 3 and 4:45 p.m. March 4. A $766 safe containing $25,000 cash was stolen, along with a 65-inch flatscreen TV valued at $3,480 and a $2,500 desktop computer and two bedspreads worth a total of $350. Entry was through a bedroom window.
* More than $10,000 was taken from a Pleasanton man between 9:20 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. March 8 in a scam known as the IRS scam. The victim received a call from a person claiming to be an IRS agent who claimed he owed money. The target purchased 12 re-loadable debit cards in two separate transactions, one for $4,000 and another for $6,500.
* Sache Coleman, 21, and Marquilla Deshai Williams, 21, both of Oakland, were arrested at about 8:33 p.m. March 6 on felony and misdemeanor counts.
Coleman was arrested on a felony count of receiving stolen property, felony probation violation and a misdemeanor count of driving with a suspended license. Deshai was arrested for a felony count of drug possession and misdemeanor counts of possession of burglary tools, paraphernalia possession and two outstanding misdemeanor warrants. The two were arrested after police in the parking lot of Safeway on Bernal Avenue saw an Acura Integra that had been reported stolen.
* Nine vehicles were stolen from Pleasanton in separate thefts over recent days, including two taken from downtown, on Abbie and Division streets on March 8, another from the Residence Inn in the 11900 block of Dublin Canyon Road on March 7 and two from private homes on March 4 and 5.
Under the law, those arrested are considered innocent until convicted.