Police investigating home invasion at gunpoint in Kottinger Ranch | News | PleasantonWeekly.com |

News

Police investigating home invasion at gunpoint in Kottinger Ranch

PPD: Surveillance photographs show suspects outside of residence

In order for all area residents to have important local information on the coronavirus health emergency, PleasantonWeekly.com has lifted its pay meter and is providing unlimited access to its website. We need your support to continue our important work. Please join your neighbors and become a subscribing member today.

A woman was robbed at gunpoint by three unknown men who broke into a Kottinger Ranch home early Sunday morning, according to a Pleasanton police spokeswoman.

The robbers, described as young African-American men in dark clothing, fled from the scene in an SUV and remain at-large, according to Lt. Maria Munayer.

The incident unfolded around 3:45 a.m. Sunday, which is when the resident reported being woken up by the sound of broken glass from a rear sliding door, according to Munayer.

"She was confronted by two suspects who brandished a handgun at her, demanded cash and ransacked the interior of the home," Munayer said. "The victim was uninjured."

The group of three robbers then fled the scene in an SUV of unknown make and model, according to the lieutenant. They were described as black men, 18-25 years old, and dressed in dark clothing.

The robbery was reported to police several hours after it occurred, and officers immediately began an investigation after arriving at the scene in the Kottinger Ranch neighborhood, Munayer said.

Detectives later retrieved surveillance camera footage that depicted three men exiting the front door while carrying property from the home. The footage then shows an unknown SUV drive up to the front of the house and pick up the three robbers, according to Munayer.

The robbers and their vehicle were still outstanding as of Sunday night.

Police released three still photographs pulled from the surveillance video footage, black-and-white pictures that show the three suspects but not their faces as well as the SUV at a distance.

The Pleasanton Police Department is asking for the public's help in identifying the robbers, according to Munayer. Anyone with information about the case can call detectives at 931-5100.

We need your support now more than ever. Can we count on you?

Comments

23 people like this
Posted by Crazy
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Feb 24, 2020 at 8:30 am

This is crazy! Home invasion is happening more and more in the Tri-Valley area. Need harsher punishments for these low-life losers.

The majority of robberies (at least those caught with home cameras), the robbers wore hoodies. It's time to consider eliminating or banning hoodies. Crazy thought but it might be more effective than you think.

25 people like this
Posted by Nick
a resident of San Ramon
on Feb 24, 2020 at 10:22 am

I'm glad she wasn't hurt. Makes me wonder how they choose a home in the middle of the night for home invasion. Was it random or targeted?

20 people like this
Posted by corn
a resident of Amador Estates
on Feb 24, 2020 at 10:26 am

That terrible and also glad she wasn't hurt, but...

Why was it reported "several hours" later?

14 people like this
Posted by Ivan
a resident of Walnut Grove Elementary School
on Feb 24, 2020 at 10:47 am

We had an incident few months ago, when an a-a younger male came knocking on the door. He tried to start a conversation without an obvious purpose - something about friendship and cooperation. No begging for money, no church affairs, no sales pitch. I stopped the conversation after a few minutes, had to walk the dog. I took the dog out few minutes later, and he was already talking to my neighbore, a female. The gates are kind of close, it's a townhouse community on Hopyard. Upon suddenly seeing me [6'5", 230lb] and my dog [6 year old German Shepherd] he abruptly interrupted his conversation with my neighbore, exclaimed "wow, wow" and run away despite me trying to tell him that we were just walking out and absolutely no agression from the dog. He obviously was not local. My neighbore was as puzzled as I was. Our only logical conclusion was that the fella was scoping houses in the neigborehood for heists like this. Probably profiling for single non-alert females in rich-looking houses. We did not alert the police though.

13 people like this
Posted by PleasantonTaxpayer
a resident of Stoneridge
on Feb 24, 2020 at 11:02 am

Ivan wrote: "Probably profiling for single non-alert females in rich-looking houses. We did not alert the police though."

Why not? This is when you should call police, in case your intuition is correct. Also, if possible, try to get a vehicle make/model/color and license plate number.

12 people like this
Posted by Wombat
on Feb 24, 2020 at 11:10 am

Yeah, the article here didn't mention any husband or man in the house. I, too, was wondering whether the fact that the homeowner was a single female was just a matter of luck for the criminals, or whether they had studied their target in advance and knew that she was alone.

18 people like this
Posted by Kiko
a resident of Val Vista
on Feb 24, 2020 at 11:29 am

You never do get enough information on articles sometimes. But if I was a single woman I would have a real alarm system installed not just that silly camera that isn't stopping anyone, in fact, everyone should have an alarm system installed. I'd also invest in a Sig Sauer or something comparable.

17 people like this
Posted by Nick
a resident of San Ramon
on Feb 24, 2020 at 2:37 pm

Even though men are usually larger physically, if they had a gun it doesn't matter if she's a single female or if there is a man living there. The guy had a gun, and a gun pointed in your face in the middle of the night can kill you. And if the homeowner is armed, it doesn't matter if you're a man or a woman. either can shoot.

24 people like this
Posted by Wombat
on Feb 24, 2020 at 3:31 pm

Nick wrote "Even though men are usually larger physically, if they had a gun it doesn't matter if she's a single female or if there is a man living there."

I think that it does matter because the presence of a man in the house is a big random variable for home invasion criminals. Men are more likely to own guns than women, and if the criminals are breaking the back patio glass they have no way of knowing whether such a gun owner will shoot first (I would if I were an armed homeowner in that situation - no further proof of violent, criminal intent would be needed for me to start shooting first.). Also, men are more likely to act in an impulsive, violent manner when confronted with a physical threat like a home invasion, and the home invasion criminals don't want to have to deal with that. I think that it's common sense that home invasion robbers would much prefer to target a house with just a single woman in it than one which also has a man in it.

18 people like this
Posted by Kiko
a resident of Val Vista
on Feb 24, 2020 at 3:34 pm

So Nick...What is your point? Don't protect yourself? That's why these creeps do this crap...they have no fear that they will be met with force. Stand your ground and cowards like this will flee every time.

17 people like this
Posted by Nick
a resident of San Ramon
on Feb 24, 2020 at 6:29 pm

I'm 6'4, and unless I'm sleeping with a gun under my pillow (and I don't) it won't make a difference if my wife is sleeping alone, or I'm sleeping next to her. If you're sound to sleep, and wake up with a GUN pointed in your face, it doesn't matter if a man is there or not. A gun is a gun, and it can kill you.

And women living alone own guns. Maybe at a higher percentage. Remember - you're saying they need more protection.

And, yes - we own guns. She owned a gun when I met her. I didn't own one at the time.

21 people like this
Posted by Wombat
on Feb 24, 2020 at 6:48 pm

@Nick wrote “ My point is - if a man or a woman is sleeping, or a woman alone is sleeping - if SOMEONE POINTS A GUN IN YOUR FACE AT 3:45 AM, A MAN ISN'T GOING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. The all caps is for ignorant that can't figure it out.”

Sorry, Nick, but that’s not the way it happened. The article clearly states that homeowner was first awakened by the sound of broken glass from her outside sliding door (i.e., the criminals were still outside of the house and had just lost the element of surprise to any homeowner inside who had a weapon handy). The homeowner was not suddenly awakened by a criminal already inside her house and bedroom who was pointing a gun in her face at 3;45am (in which case the criminal would have had the element of surprise regardless of whether the homeowner had a weapon nearby). Seems that you should have reread the article and checked your facts especially before going all caps.

23 people like this
Posted by Jennifer
a resident of another community
on Feb 24, 2020 at 6:48 pm

I agree with Nick. If these thugs didn't have a weapon, a man can protect his wife or girlfriend. But if they have a gun, and it's in your face... well. You figure it out.

Home invasions are so scary. Years ago, burglars just broke in and stole things. So sick of the violence.

19 people like this
Posted by Jennifer
a resident of another community
on Feb 24, 2020 at 6:56 pm

She woke up to the sound of broken glass, but "she was confronted by two subjects who brandished a handgun at her, demanded cash and ransacked the interior of the home."

If you don't think that's an element of surprise, you're extremely stupid. It was in the middle of the night, and she was sleeping! Wise up!

24 people like this
Posted by Wombat
on Feb 24, 2020 at 7:03 pm

@Jennifer wrote “ Wombat... if you really think you can outdo these thugs (unless you shoot them first) you're stupid.”

Jennifer, if I hear the my back patio glass door being smashed at around 3am, I can safely assume that my house is being broken into and that the lives of my family are at risk by criminals who have already demonstrated that they are willing to use violence. I am morally AND legally justified in shooting first.

14 people like this
Posted by Kiko
a resident of Val Vista
on Feb 24, 2020 at 7:07 pm

I guess we know who had military training and who didn't just by the responses. Enough said...no need to respond.

16 people like this
Posted by Dan
on Feb 24, 2020 at 7:52 pm

"The robbery was reported to police several hours after it occurred"

Why not reported immediately?

20 people like this
Posted by Jennifer
a resident of another community
on Feb 24, 2020 at 8:22 pm

Wombat... I never said you can't (or shouldn't) shoot first. My point is you're SLEEPING at that hour. You're not wide awake, or thinking clearly. Maybe that's why she didn't report it immediately. Maybe she fell back asleep. Unless you've been woken up in the middle of the night with a gun pointed in your face, you have no idea what you'd do. Including not reporting it right away, which is obviously more easily done during the daytime - when you're wide awake. Or maybe it took that long for the shock to wear off.

16 people like this
Posted by kbenson
a resident of Bordeaux Estates
on Feb 25, 2020 at 6:22 am

Just a theory- Why she did not report immediately-
1. thieves took her phone/disabled it and or threatened her if she reports before they leave?
2.she was in shock and or tied up?

14 people like this
Posted by PTown Resident
on Feb 25, 2020 at 9:48 am

I received a message from a friend in San Jose yesterday after she saw a report on the news about the robbery.
Details shared in the broadcast included “the woman in the home was house-sitting when the invasion occurred.” Nothing was mentioned about the delay in reporting the crime.
There was also a post about the invasion in the PLEASANTON Patch about with different photos, details about the robbery and excluded info the news broadcast shared.
The PLEASANTON Weekly provided photos that were different than the Patch and the News station and had additional details the other sources did not provide.......

My point is, don’t rely on One source of truth for your information and the foundation of your opinion on situations.

7 people like this
Posted by FrequentWalkerMiles
on Feb 29, 2020 at 12:18 pm

My guess is as good or bad as anyone else’s. But if it was a house sitter that was in the house, chances are someone in the family let the word out that they were leaving town and any one of say, house cleaners, gardeners, nannies, what have you, and friends, friends of kids(if they have any) heard, that’s all it takes. It could even just be people seeing them mentioning their plans or that they are out town on social media or ads for house sitting for that time period.

Worst case scenario the housesitter informs(intentionally or not) someone she knows that she is house sitting in a nice part of the East bay. I’d hate to think that’s the case but you just never know.

To post your comment, please login or register at the top of the page. This topic is only for those who have signed up to participate by providing their email address and establishing a screen name.

Stay up to date on local coronavirus coverage with our daily news digest email.

The takeout math just doesn't work for restaurants

The Impact of COVID-19 on Our High School Juniors and Seniors
By Elizabeth LaScala | 0 comments | 1,797 views

The first few seconds after awakening; before I remember the virus
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 591 views