News

Police: Registered sex offender arrested after incident with girl at Pleasanton park

Allegedly convinced girl to leave with him, give cell number; no assault reported

A man registered as a sex offender with ties to Dublin was arrested on Saturday after an incident involving a girl at a local park two days earlier, according to Pleasanton police.

The situation unfolded at 5:30 p.m. Thursday when two 12-year-old girls at Creekside Park were approached by a male stranger, according to Pleasanton police Lt. Brandon Stocking.

The man talked to the girls and convinced one of them to leave the West Las Positas Boulevard park with him, according to Stocking.

The man bought candy for the girl at a nearby convenience store before taking her to a canal on Santa Rita Road, where he obtained her cellphone number before the two parted ways, Stocking said. No physical or sexual assault was reported.

The girl went home and told her parents about what happened, and the parents then reported the incident to Pleasanton police, the lieutenant said.

Subsequent investigation led police to identify their suspect as Muneer Hassan, a 44-year-old man who dually resided in Dublin and San Leandro, according to Stocking. Police allege Hassan is a registered sex offender who had an outstanding arrest warrant for drug-related charges at the time.

Pleasanton police detectives located Hassan and arrested him at his Dublin home on suspicion of one felony count of annoying and molesting a minor, one felony count of failing to register as a sex offender and having an outstanding narcotics warrant, according to Stocking.

The lieutenant said anyone with information about this or other similar incidents can contact the department at 931-5100.

Stocking also said the department encourages all parents to talk with their children about how to remain safe when not accompanied by an adult, citing some discussion topics such as:

* Encourage children to use the buddy system – walk and play with friends or classmates.

* Avoid solitary areas such as alleys and vacant buildings.

* Together families should map out the safest routes to bus stops, stores and friends’ homes. Teach them to take these routes and avoid using shortcuts.

* Explain the importance of being alert. Even while listening to music or socializing, it is important to be aware of their surroundings.

* Never talk to strangers in person or online unless they are designated “safe” adults.

* Never accept gifts, food or rides from strangers.

What is community worth to you?
Support local journalism.

Comments

6 people like this
Posted by pope john
on Sep 22, 2019 at 9:47 pm

In the last eight months in Pleasanton neighborhoods we have had Perverts, burglars, snatch and grab thief's, bank robbers.

What is the best method for citizens in Pleasanton neighborhoods to respond to these criminal activities in out Pleasanton neighborhoods?

13 people like this
Posted by James Michael
a resident of Val Vista
on Sep 22, 2019 at 10:21 pm

James Michael is a registered user.

"What is the best method for citizens in Pleasanton neighborhoods to respond to these criminal activities in our Pleasanton neighborhoods?"

Well, the first thing that would benefit the whole community is to stop presenting us as a "gun free zone"...because we are certainly not. You don't need to own a gun to defend yourself, there are many non-lethal defense options available. But when the community goes all "anti gun" and the bad guys know this then you are just inviting trouble.

3 people like this
Posted by Grumpy
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Sep 23, 2019 at 7:19 am

Grumpy is a registered user.

Wait, what were you planning on doing with a gun in this situation? Would you have shot the sex offender in front of the girl?

3 people like this
Posted by James Michael
a resident of Val Vista
on Sep 23, 2019 at 9:59 am

James Michael is a registered user.

Grump, did you read what I said..."You don't need a gun to defend yourself, there are many non-lethal defense options available." So you have pepper spray, personal attack alarm among many others. That personal attack alarm would have probably worked well in the case of the girl.
I was answering pope john's question about what the community could do with regard to different criminal activities not necessarily what should be done in the case of the girl and the pervert.
Always use non-lethal defense first...it's usually enough.

2 people like this
Posted by Grumpy
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Sep 23, 2019 at 10:03 am

Grumpy is a registered user.

Ok, because there's really no violent act that would have be a good idea with the pervert.

I agree with PW's reminders: we need to refresh kids on how to identity and stay away from people trying to molest or kidnap them.

2 people like this
Posted by carlos
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Sep 23, 2019 at 12:57 pm

It's hard for me to understand how a 12 year old wouldn't know better. It would be interesting to know what the suspect's original sex offence was.

1 person likes this
Posted by Barry
a resident of Alisal Elementary School
on Sep 23, 2019 at 1:22 pm

Barry is a registered user.

Carlos -Twelveyear old girls are still children who are impressionable and insecure. Most child molesting perverts are very charming

8 people like this
Posted by Julie
on Sep 23, 2019 at 3:01 pm

Carlos - please don't victim-blame. Especially not a 12-year old girl. The person who should have known better was the adult.

4 people like this
Posted by Joy
a resident of Foothill Place
on Sep 23, 2019 at 4:24 pm

Carlos - Yes, lets blame the 12 years old. I’m sure it’s was how she dressed and the way she styled her hair and the makeup she was wearing! Of course, it’s her fault for being too enticing. What is wrong with you? Go crawl under the rock you came from.

5 people like this
Posted by carlos
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Sep 24, 2019 at 10:36 am

I am not blaming the child at all. I'm just curious how a 12 year old in this day and age isn't aware of the dangers of being approached by a stranger.

4 people like this
Posted by Creeps in parks and stores
on Sep 24, 2019 at 12:21 pm

There are creeps all over Pleasanton.

A few months ago a young child (I think an 11 or 12 year old boy) was minding his business and approached in downtown Pleasanton at Starbucks downtown in the store by a man who kept insisting the boy leave the store and walk the man to the nearest bus stop. The parents were nearby. This was all over social media in Pleasanton when it happened. Was it in the newspapers? No, but it should have been.

I have lost count of the times I have been approached by strangers or my children have been approached by strangers in parks with some strange/bizarre request. They have even been approached my children while I am in the car in the parking lot of the park!

The common ruse is they ask what time it is and want you to take your phone out. But don't do that because the common scheme is to grab the phone and run. The other one is "I was supposed to meet my friend here and by they way my phone battery is at 1% so can I borrow your phone"? Or "my cell phone doesn't connect to the internet/my car broke down/I'm lost and I am trying to message someone so can I connect to your cell phone", etc. Don't do it whatever you do. The cell phone has become the most common way that people who are up to no good approach people.

And unless you are at the Tennis Park where they have the staff there at Lifetime Tennis in the building the kids can run into or at the Ken Mercer Park when the concession stands are open, there is simply nothing the kids can do to get away from these people.

What Pleasanton needs is police stations in North Pleasanton. Replace the fire station at Santa Rita and W. Las Positas with a police station and at least the kids can run into the police station when they are followed.

The other thing is people approaching adults. I have lost count of the times when people hustling for work at Home Depot inside the store in Pleasanton approach you while you are in the store and follow you out to the parking lot. This is very scary. Or maybe they don't approach you at the store, but you are loading your car and all of a sudden they appear out of nowhere in the parking lot and without you asking, start loading stuff into your car. These are not Home Depot employees. I no longer go to Home Depot on weekend mornings.

Like this comment
Posted by Creeps in parks and stores
on Sep 24, 2019 at 12:33 pm

What is common in both incidents? Male approaches child with something about a cell phone, 12 year old approached by adult male, and parents ask police to get surveillance footage/video to identify the adult male....

April 6, 2018 "Yesterday mind morning he was in Starbucks in Main st. Waiting for a friend when and adult male approached him and start talking to him standing very closed the man was very persistent and the boy was very uncomfortable the men was trying to convince him to walk with him and show him where was the bus stop to which they boy refused and told him to search on his cellphone. The boy tried to ignore him but he continued following and showing him his hands and telling him he had rough hands because he used to fight a lot when he was young as a way to intimidate him, at this point the boy just took off and start running back home .... if anyone saw this yesterday please reach out to me, the mom is trying to see if the police can get a footage of the security cameras because the boy was so frightened that can’t remember the man’s face."

2 people like this
Posted by Preditorsareeverywhere
a resident of Amador Estates
on Sep 24, 2019 at 12:53 pm

A predator does not have to be a stranger. A predator can be a female high school swim coach who grooms young, impressionable boys. Parents, keep your eyes out for these creeps. They come in either gender, all ages, all careers.

1 person likes this
Posted by James Michael
a resident of Val Vista
on Sep 24, 2019 at 2:33 pm

James Michael is a registered user.

Creeps in parks and stores...

I have to agree with you about Home Depot...I usually go there at night just to avoid the illegals. They used to stay out by the entrances, now they actually roam the lot. I think it's time for corporate to do something before people quit going there all together.

Like this comment
Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Sep 24, 2019 at 2:58 pm

I go to Lowes because of the illegals at home depot. I do not see illegals at Lowes!

Like this comment
Posted by pope john
on Sep 24, 2019 at 3:02 pm

Low Life's, perverts, burglars, snatch and grab thieves, bank robbers, etc., destination Pleasanton!

1 person likes this
Posted by Creeps in parks and stores
on Sep 24, 2019 at 3:36 pm

I routinely see Dublin Police Services at the Lowes in Dublin as well as at Hacienda Crossings and Emerald Glen Park. I don't see the Pleasanton Police near or in the Home Depot shopping center and only see them in Hacienda Business Park when there is a traffic accident. I don't know why, but I don't see the Pleasanton Police as much as I used to. The only park I see them in is right next to the parks downtown during Concerts in the Park season. Other than that, I don't see them near parks.

Like this comment
Posted by Bill
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Sep 24, 2019 at 4:33 pm

Whew! I thought it was Pleasanton's own Randy Gibson...again.

Like this comment
Posted by James Michael
a resident of Val Vista
on Sep 24, 2019 at 10:26 pm

James Michael is a registered user.

"Whew! I thought it was Pleasanton's own Randy Gibson...again."

Can you "splain" that to me Lucy...I mean Bill

Like this comment
Posted by Creeps in parks and stores
on Sep 25, 2019 at 10:23 am

Bill is probably referring to the Megan's list sex registry of local sex offenders.Web Link

I am concerned that law enforcement is failing to monitor sex offenders. Why was the public not notified that someone with two previous sex crime convictions and with such a high risk of re-offending had moved into Pleasanton/Dublin?