News

Former Foothill star, NFL prospect arrested in $1M cellphone robbery ring

DA alleges crime operation targeted delivery drivers in 10 counties

Alameda County District Attorney Nancy O'Malley announced Thursday that her office has charged 12 people, including a National Football League hopeful from Pleasanton, in a widespread crime ring that targeted UPS and FedEx drivers delivering cellphones to cellphone stores.

Isaiah Langley, 23, who starred on the football team of Foothill High School in Pleasanton and the University of Southern California, was taken into custody in Lake Forest, Illinois, last Saturday and is expected to be brought to Alameda County for arraignment on felony charges at a future date, prosecutors said.

Langley, a two-way player at Foothill who stood out as a cornerback at USC, signed a preseason contract as an undrafted free agent with the Oakland Raiders on June 11 but was cut on Aug. 9. The Indianapolis Colts signed him two days later but waived him on Saturday, the day he was arrested.

O'Malley said Langley was among 12 defendants charged with multiple separate robberies and grand thefts for allegedly engaging in a total of 61 robberies between Dec. 6, 2018 and Aug. 21 that netted about $1 million.

Several men and women were arrested in Oakland, San Leandro, Pittsburg and other locations on Aug. 29 following an extensive investigation that spanned four months and involved 31 cities and 10 counties throughout Northern and Central California, prosecutors said.

O'Malley said there are warrants for the arrest of four additional defendants who remain at large.

In addition, six guns were seized, including an assault rifle, along with two illegal ammunition magazines, stolen property from the thefts and other physical evidence.

According to O'Malley, beginning in December the suspects preyed on UPS and FedEx delivery drivers as they delivered merchandise to cellphone stores.

According to probable cause statements filed by law enforcement officers, the suspects would rush the drivers as they approached the stores with boxes of merchandise, grab the boxes and run to vehicles that displayed paper dealer plates.

"These bold robberies endangered the victims as well as the communities in which they took place," O'Malley said in a statement. "I am dedicated to ensuring that each participant in this criminal enterprise is brought to justice."

Arrested in the Bay Area were Corneilus Ronnell Brown, 25, of Alameda, Cedric Thomas, 28, of Pittsburg, Yamonte Tyrell Cross, 24, of Oakland, Ciera Craig, 26, of Oakland, Alisa Bobino, 25, of Oakland, and Diamond Jones, 24, of San Leandro.

Ahlayah Thompson, 24, of Ripon, was arrested in Santa Maria.

Those seven defendants were arraigned in Alameda County Superior Court on Tuesday.

The arrest warrants for suspects at large are for Fard Collins, 24, of Oakland, D'Anthony Larks, 24, of Oakland, Marquis Lewis, 23, of Oakland, and Julius Smith, 23, of Discovery Bay.

-- Story by Bay City News Service, with Weekly editor Jeremy Walsh contributing.

What is democracy worth to you?
Support local journalism.

Comments

7 people like this
Posted by Wondering....
on Sep 8, 2019 at 9:32 pm

But wasn't he called a great young man by the Foothill High principal and PUSD?
Web Link

It would be interesting to track how many Foothill vs Amador students are eventually arrested and end up in prison.

Also what is the status of Cody Hall? Is he still in prison or has he been released?

4 people like this
Posted by James Michael
a resident of Val Vista
on Sep 8, 2019 at 9:35 pm

James Michael is a registered user.

NFL...National Felon's League.

3 people like this
Posted by wondering
on Sep 12, 2019 at 12:28 pm

This will not come off politically correct at all but its an honest observation that most think but don't write. Why does it seem like they are always African Americans? This arrest as well as the car breakins.

6 people like this
Posted by Anony
on Sep 13, 2019 at 2:29 pm

Wondering,

I know it sounds cliche, but historically, African-Americans have not had an easy time living in America. They are routinely discriminated against in employment, housing, and socially. On this basis (because they are less likely to be employed, have access to good schools, live in a safe neighborhood, etc.) they tend to have a hard time escaping poverty.

Just growing up poor can have detrimental effects on child development, with poverty alone increasing a child’s ACE (adverse childhood experiences) score, not to mention any abuse that may happen.

I am not absolving crminals from their behavior. Certainly having an intact family cushions some of the impact of poverty, but you really can’t deny that African-Americans have a harder time integrating into society. They are angry and marginalized, which can be a dangerous combination. Just take a look at the demographics of school shooters (loner, white, male).

4 people like this
Posted by LanceM
on Sep 14, 2019 at 9:48 pm

Wondering: So someone can't be a great kid and then do bad things later? I'm not sure what your point is. Are you blaming the Army for putting this kid in the game? Are you blaming FHS for this for student later turning to crime.

Perhaps not everyone can be as smart as you and foresee the future of all humans. Maybe you could lend you services to help prevent crime.

3 people like this
Posted by Nick
a resident of San Ramon
on Sep 17, 2019 at 1:04 pm

The reason blacks commit a higher percentage of crimes - especially violent crimes is poor upbringing. No father in the home, ghetto mentality, environmental, etc. A lot of blacks succeed - IF THEY WANT TO. Quit making excuses for them. We all choose our own destiny. We had a black president. NO EXCUSES. There is no excuse for any criminal, regardless of race, socio-economic status, religion, etc. They're criminals - period.

1 person likes this
Posted by Wally
a resident of another community
on Oct 3, 2019 at 9:58 am

I guess I break the mold I grew up in a mostly white neighborhood in Fremont, although mostly Indian and Asian now.
I went to Gomes elementary, Hopkins Jr. High School ,
and Mission San Jose High School. I have an associate of arts degree from Ohlone college and a BS from university of Phoenix. My dad was a Jr, High School Principal and my mom was an Elementary school teacher with a PHD. Many African Americans I know were raised like me. I always had whatever I needed. I never needed to break into peoples homes or cars because I have always had a good paying job and I believe if I work for what I want I can have anything I want. I own 2 houses and have GOD and Christ in my life. So a lot of those African Americans have not been as fortunate as I have , but I believe they still know write from wrong the bottom line is if you do wrong you will go to jail and have your freedom taken away.